Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Springer sees significant gain from e-book sales

Springer sees significant gain from e-book sales

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/90...ook-sales.html

Quote:
Electronic book readers such as Amazon's Kindle are transforming academic publishing much faster than the consumer market, notes the FT following an interview with Springer Science & Business Media, the second largest scientific, technical and medical publisher. But it wants manufacturers of e-book readers to settle on a common software standard to alleviate unnecessary costs.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
JE-RRY! JE-RRY! JE-RRY! JE-RRY!

This was my first thought when looking at the title of the thread. I thought it had something to do with the controversial talkshow host touting ebooks.

Now I'm bummed.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Interesting, that's a pretty specialized niche. I wonder what other niches are seeing a similar phenomenon.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I used to work in STM publishing, and I can certainly vouch for the fact that academics are on the leading edge of electronic document delivery (after all, that's one of the main reasons the internet was created). What I find interesting is that Springer seems to be grouping electronic delivery of articles (of which a lot are purchased) into the "e-book" category.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
It would also be interesting to know using what type of device these e-books are read. I would not be surprised if most of them are read on computers and not on e-readers.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
It would also be interesting to know using what type of device these e-books are read. I would not be surprised if most of them are read on computers and not on e-readers.
By and large, scientific articles are either read onscreen or they're printed out and highlighted/marked up. However, this is changing somewhat with the new generation of students.

This may shock some of you, but when I worked for a journal and we were putting our archive of back issues up, a huge majority of our readers were very clear that they wanted PDF scans of the articles. This was so that they could print them out and basically have a replica of the journal article as it appeared in print. Mind you, this was a few years ago, and was primarily the view held by the older researchers. The younger ones generally just wanted access to the material and didn't care how it was presented.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote