Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
Didger
Didger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Show Books I have Read

When I have read a book I would like to indicate this either on the cover of the book, or move the book into a "Read" folder.
Is there a way to do this?
Tnx Didger
Didger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didger View Post
When I have read a book I would like to indicate this either on the cover of the book, or move the book into a "Read" folder.
Is there a way to do this?
Tnx Didger
You have to be a bit more specific. The answer is it depends on what platform and what you use to read ebooks. I will say that very few platforms have this feature. Since your profile says kindle paperwhite, I assume you mean the kindle platform and paper white in specific. As far as I know, it has no such feature, but I'm hardly an expert on that platform.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2018, 02:55 PM   #3
Didger
Didger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
OK thanks but I may be in the wrong place, I meant within the program Calibre.
Didger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didger View Post
OK thanks but I may be in the wrong place, I meant within the program Calibre.
Calibre has no way of gleaning READ (or progress) status from devices.
At best, you create a custom column for the TYPE of status you prefer.

FWIW I just use a timestamp (date). Others use Stars (rating), tags for WHO in the family has read this.

All of this is a fully MANUAL keyboard entry into the books record (calibre metadata)

Calibre Companion does allow me to set the Date read (a reason I chose what I did), when CC is connected as a device
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre has no way of gleaning READ (or progress) status from devices.
I use Kobo eReaders and utilize the Kobo Utilities calibre plugin to retrieve the reading status of books on the Kobo, and populate custom columns to flag books as being finished.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Didger: How to record what has been read is a popular topic here. If you search you will find a lot of threads on it with lots of suggestions of what to do. A few that I can think of off the top of my head are:

- Custom column to record the date read
- Custom Y/N column to record that it is read
- Using the Reading List plugin
- Setting the rating
- Adding a tag
- Using a custom column for a state such as: unread, reading, read, abandoned.

Or some combination of the above.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote