Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
windows 7 +calibre - 2 start methods - 2 speeds ?

i have calibre set to go to system tray when closed & from there it restarts instantly.

but the system tray icon is small so I also added calibre to the main task bar using "pin to taskbar" - that gives a larger - easier to click - icon.

but when i click that icon , calibre takes a few seconds to restart - presumably it is trying to launch a new instance of itself before realising that it does not need to.

this is unusual behavour - other "pin to taskbar" programs do not behave like this
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What do you mean by "pin to taskbar"? Does this force the program to stay in the taskbar when active? Does this create a shortcut in what was called "quick start" in XP? If the latter, then yes, Calibre would then spawn a new instance (or at least, try to do so) every time you clicked the icon.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
pin to taskbar is a standard windows 7 feature, as is pin to start menu. with the former you get a handy, largish icon at foot of screen to use for launching programs.

it does as you say - try to spawn a new instance, but calibre is smart enough not to have 2 active instances, as the "close to system tray" option in calibre has been keeping it alive. - so I guess that I am just suprised that calibre does not detect that instantly & behave as if I'd clicked the small system tray icon.

watching with task manager.
state1. calibre closed, system tray icon present - calibre.exe is a live process.
state2, launch calibre ( from start bar, task bar, whatever) - see 2 instances of calibre in task manager, cpu at 50% for a couple of seconds, then a return to one instance & low CPu usage.
state 3. close calibre ( = shrink to system tray) - no change in live processes.

I could just minimise to task bar when not in use but that takes up more screen real estate. ( standard win 7 behaviour again - minimised programs take up about 1" of task bar space - just enough to show program name),
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Let me state clearly what I only implied before: You start a new instance. Calibre is written in Python, which takes a little to start up before it even realizes there already is an instance.
Or, let me say this in another way: Why do you even try to start another instance if there is already an active instance in memory?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Instead of closing to taskbar, why not just use 'minimize window', as calibre will still be running anyway, and then a nice large icon will still appear in the main taskbar, which when clicked on will quickly restore calibre to full window mode.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert