Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #61
KoboH2O-Bricked
Unbricked
KoboH2O-Bricked began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O (32GB Mod)
I also killed my brand new Kobo H2O by installing the Kobo Start Menu and afterward upgrading to 3.11. Just the black and white blinking screen... I tried all resets. Now I opened it and am looking for a complete dump.

dd'ing (X) is just a placeholder

dd if=./u-boot_mddr_256-E606F0B-K4X2G323PC.bin of=/dev/sd(X) skip=1 seek=1 bs=1024

and

dd if=./uImage-E606F0B of=/dev/sd(X) bs=1048576 seek=1

were not successful...

Could someone help me out with a full dump plz? PM would be nice...

I'm also quite sure that re-sealing the Kobo H2O is possible with a little black silicone... the opening up was really easy with no breaks or scratches at all..

Last edited by KoboH2O-Bricked; 12-28-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #62
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboH2O-Bricked View Post
I also killed my brand new Kobo H2O by installing the Kobo Start Menu and afterward upgrading to 3.11. Just the black and white blinking screen... I tried all resets. Now I opened it and am looking for a complete dump.

dd'ing (X) is just a placeholder

dd if=./u-boot_mddr_256-E606F0B-K4X2G323PC.bin of=/dev/sd(X) skip=1 seek=1 bs=1024

and

dd if=./uImage-E606F0B of=/dev/sd(X) bs=1048576 seek=1

were not successful...

Could someone help me out with a full dump plz? PM would be nice...

I'm also quite sure that re-sealing the Kobo H2O is possible with a little black silicone... the opening up was really easy with no breaks or scratches at all..
I am sure that many could reseal the outside edges using a little black silicone, not sure the doublesided tape mask that seals the bezel to the screen would remain as waterproof, but it might. I am Not sure that someone who could "kill his brand new Kobo H2O by installing the Kobo Start Menu" should attempt such things, at least not until he can do a factory reset.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 12-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #63
KoboH2O-Bricked
Unbricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I am sure that many could reseal the outside edges using a little black silicone, not sure the doublesided tape mask that seals the bezel to the screen would remain as waterproof, but it might. I am Not sure that someone who could "kill his brand new Kobo H2O by installing the Kobo Start Menu" should attempt such things, at least not until he can do a factory reset.

Luck;
Ken
Hi Ken,

hmmm i hope i didn't write it wrong... Kobo Start Menu worked great. Just the Kobo Update (after everything was working fine) broke the Kobo. I know a little linux... so I'm just waiting for an working image file to tear down and to analyse. I'll replace the inner seal with transparent double sided tesa stripes. They are extemely thin, sticky and come very close to the original seal.

Regards

p.s. All i did with dd was trying to rewrite the uboot and the boot image, not knowing what exactly is broken...
Old 12-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #64
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you try the method I posted in #53?

I'll send you a link to the full image by PM...

As for sealing, I would not use silicone (what a mess!). You could remove the glue (if it got lumpy like mine when removing the bezel) and then apply fresh glue. I think it's the same kind of glue that is also used for smartphone displays, which is just a very fine double-sided adhesive tape; it's often sold along with smartphone front glass replacements.

As for the reason of the brick, you'd have to investigate the state of things on your system; if it still shows the bootup squares, then the bootloader and root filesystem and startup script are still fine and the issue is with starting up whatever comes afterwards...

Last edited by frostschutz; 12-28-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #65
KoboH2O-Bricked
Unbricked

Hi frostschutz,

thx for the tips... I tried try the method I posted in #53... No Squares, no loader... I dumped the broken image for further investigation, now i just want to get the h2o back to working again.

Sillicone isn't necessarily a mess... You just don't use the 1kg "Gluesticks" The idea with the phone glue sounds very good, much better than the Silicone.

Thx
Advert
Old 12-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #66
dedeaux
dedeaux began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
After reading through this thread, I think you folks can help. My H2O that I have just received for Christmas is stuck in a weird reset cycle. I loaded a few more books on the reader with caliber, and unmounted it. The reader showed the processing screen then went to the home screen. The screen then cycled the backlight and then reset itself. The square icons marched across the screen and then it showed the home screen, but quickly reset again. It has been in this state, resettling repeatedly for a few hours. I cannot power it off, and I cannot get the manual factory reset to work either. Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #67
KoboH2O-Bricked
Unbricked

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeaux View Post
After reading through this thread, I think you folks can help. My H2O that I have just received for Christmas is stuck in a weird reset cycle. I loaded a few more books on the reader with caliber, and unmounted it. The reader showed the processing screen then went to the home screen. The screen then cycled the backlight and then reset itself. The square icons marched across the screen and then it showed the home screen, but quickly reset again. It has been in this state, resettling repeatedly for a few hours. I cannot power it off, and I cannot get the manual factory reset to work either. Any suggestions?
hi dedeaux,

if you didn't change anything (i.e. installing the kobo start menu), you could try the kobo factory reset. Just push the reset button 3-4 times when the first few cubes show up... it should present you a factory reset option. (Link: http://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/artic...r-kobo-ereader)

Last edited by KoboH2O-Bricked; 12-29-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #68
KoboH2O-Bricked
Unbricked

Hi Guys,

using the sd image of a friendly helper I could restore my kobo h2o from the "flashing screen white and black and then shutting off error". I also restore the image on a 32 GB Micro SD and grew the partition via parted to the max. Initially the partition wasn't recognized correcly, but a kobo factory reset fixe the fat partition and filesystem. My Kobo H2O now has about 28GB free for Books and Dictionaries on the internal SD.

Regards

A big for all the great people which helped me out...
Old 12-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #69
dedeaux
dedeaux began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
hi dedeaux,

if you didn't change anything (i.e. installing the kobo start menu), you could try the kobo factory reset. Just push the reset button 3-4 times when the first few cubes show up... it should present you a factory reset option. (Link: http://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/artic...r-kobo-ereader)
Thanks. I went to bed frustrated, and tried again when I got up. Seems like other devices I have had, timing was everything. I managed to finally hit the correct timing on the 4 reset button presses and got the factory reset screen after hours of not being able to accomplish this yesterday.

Thanks for the help. I am sure I will frequent this forum.

I am interested in having a backup of the SD image, and I'll look back through this thread to find the best way to do this. Is this possible without removing the SD card from H20?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #70
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Making a backup is entirely possible, the problem is using it when the device is already bricked.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #71
KoboH2O-Bricked
Unbricked

I resealed the Kobo H2O using Tesa double-sided tape (http://www.tesa.com/consumer/adhesiv...ed_tape,c.html) works great... No gaps, snug fit and easy to lay out once the old residue was removed... Now I've got an Unbricked H2O with 32 GB Internal Memory.

Will do a Water-Diving test later..

Cya
Old 01-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #72
QQuokka
QQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: KOBO AURA
Quote:
Hi Guys,

using the sd image of a friendly helper I could restore my kobo h2o from the "flashing screen white and black and then shutting off error". I also restore the image on a 32 GB Micro SD and grew the partition via parted to the max. Initially the partition wasn't recognized correcly, but a kobo factory reset fixe the fat partition and filesystem. My Kobo H2O now has about 28GB free for Books and Dictionaries on the internal SD.

Regards

A big for all the great people which helped me out...
Is there anyway to got the sd image of H2O? My H2O also bricked
Old 01-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #73
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQuokka View Post
Is there anyway to got the sd image of H2O? My H2O also bricked
PM sent
Old 01-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #74
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
Exclamation help for same problem. Bricked, infinite boot loop!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mementomori View Post
Hi!
Thank you Davidfor and Cesco for your replies! . I just joined the forum today and its nice to see quick replies like these. Just now, I was able to resolve this problem through a different approach.

As for the methods stated above, I tried them many times but they didn't work for me.

What have I done to get a bricked H2O? When I tried to root my Kobo H2O using the instructions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233259

particularly these steps:

Step 1
- connect the Kobo to the PC
- copy the folder kbmenupngs to the root of the device (e.g. K:\)
- eject safely and disconnect
- check that the 3 images (exit_nickel.png, simulate_usb_connection.png, toggle_nightmode.png ) are listed in the library. Only then proceed to step two.

Step 2
- connect the Kobo to the PC
- copy KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo of the device
- eject safely and disconnect
- wait until the update is finished

I ended up with a Kobo H2O in an infinite boot loop. All I can see is the flashing white LED (slow blinking). The small squares (loading screen) that Cesco mentioned, didn't even show up.

When I tried to delete koboroot files in the User Partition and restored root-partition files that were modified by KoboRoot.tgz (including /etc/init.d/rcS), (I saw a mirror copy of some of the root-partition files in the recovery partition), I ended up with a different kind of boot loop. The white power LED would now flash faster and I can see the small squares animating. However it didn't pass this boot stage. And the user-partition was formatted without any new files written on it. I also once-again tried the method that was mentioned in this thread but it still didn't work.

I was able to 'partially' restore the filesystem by untarring two files from the update folder of the recovery partition. One of these files is a tarball meant for the root partition. and the other tarball was for the user partition. Now it seems to be booting properly. Earlier, I did a factory reset and am making an image of the SDcard now. I'll try to upload it as soon as it completes.

I also took some pictures of the H2O internals, just getting it out of my camera, which, is now giving me a hard time. An adhesive between the Bezel and the sides of the base frame is all that prevents the water from seeping in. By prying mine open, the seal would have broke. Some other special adhesive or tape can probably take its place. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Hi mementomori this problem have resolved???
i have the same infinite boot loop problem,
can you help me?
Old 01-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #75
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtxj View Post
Hi mementomori this problem have resolved???
i have the same infinite boot loop problem,
can you help me?
If you see the led flashing white, as did mementomori, I do not have much hope that the following will work. But you could try it:
  • extract the file autoscript.sh from the attached archive and copy it to the root of a sd (I hope you have one at hand)
  • insert the sd into your reader (and power it on, if it is not already powered on)
  • watch the led

If it works the script will write a log file "autolog.log" to the sd, make the led flash red, and power off the device.

If you find the "autolog.log" on the sd, this would indicate that we can communicate with the device and hopefully find a solution (maybe trigger a factory reset).

Edit: I wrote the above under the assumption that you installed KSM, since you quoted mementomori in full. Then I saw in your other posts concerning your problem that you do not mention KSM at all. If KSM is not on your device, the above attempt would be useless and a waste of time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip autoscript.zip (308 Bytes, 669 views)

Last edited by tshering; 01-25-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
flash, h2o, image, sdcard, sdcard-image