Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Which one of these covers do you like the best? (Opinions needed)

I'm looking for a gut reaction on which one of these three images gets your attention.

Think 'strange' and 'out of the box' when viewing them, please.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toiletest30.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	131761   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet13 - Copyfinal4.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	752.9 KB
ID:	131762   Click image for larger version

Name:	toilet21.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	131763  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The 2nd one seems the strangest to me, but the 3rd is the most visually appealing I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
xstitchfan
Connoisseur
xstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to allxstitchfan is a name known to all

Device: nook touch, nextbook 10" tablet pc windows 8.1
I think the third cover is the best one. It's Sci-Fi creepy and visually bold! Joan in NJ
xstitchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The third one could be better by having some faces peering up from the bottom of the toilet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
First one.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
The neon text in #2 and #3 is kind of shlocky (which granted, you may be after) and as thumbnails I don't think it's readily apparent that they are toilets.

I like the first cover, perhaps for the wrong reasons beause of what you're looking for. It looks more professional and the blue is very pleasing. The name on the angle definitely looks like it's going down and it's intriguing. It's not clear that that's a toilet,though. From your title of course they'll figure it out soon enough,but if you want the initial glance to say "toilet" it won't. Especially being blue.

Do you really need your cover to be shlocky?

Personally I wouldn't give #2 or #3 a second glance when I saw the neon text. #1 I would be intrigued by.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The third one could be better by having some faces peering up from the bottom of the toilet.
I thought of that, but my skills at manipulating images are crude, at best.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The third, but it needs work on the typography.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The third, but it needs work on the typography.

In what sense? (I'm using the choices in Picasa.)

Thank you.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
^

The neon font colour for #3 has poor contrast with the lighter portions of the background image, IMHO, making it difficult to read the text at the small image size which is basically what people would be seeing in most search result listings. Perhaps some form of contrasting-colour outlining could help with this.

Also, it looks kind of unmatched to have the shaky-cam-effect font for the title, but use a standard sans-serif for the author name/etc., while keeping the colour the same. Maybe it would look better if all the neon-green text used the same font.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
In what sense? (I'm using the choices in Picasa.)

Thank you.
Well, you've got two lines of important coloured text placed exactly where a dark part of the image meets a very light part. The line of the toilet bowl disrupts the eye trying to read the title and the author - I was unable to fully read either in the thumbnail, so dealing with this is essential for ebook covers especially. The contrast is all wrong with the light-ish green fighting with both black and white, and being particularly difficult to read over the white parts of the image. Either placement or colour/shade needs changing. Personally I'd try making the image a little smaller so that the text sits more fully in the darker areas of the cover, and see how that looks, if you're DIY and not very acquainted with cover design/image manipulation. I'm not a big fan of your font pairing either; I don't think the two harmonise well.

Read a few articles about typography on book covers and about common errors in book cover design, and you'll find plenty to work with.

Is the audience you're looking for the same as the audience for your other book? Was it a particularly successful work, which will add to your marketing? I'd be put off by "Author of 'Mounting the Fat Lady'", and it's visual clutter also. Also, your cover gives me no sense of what kind of book this is - is it SF? Literary? YA? There's a visual language to genre and book covers, so if your book is a certain genre it's worth considering how and whether to work with that. "The People in the Toilet" sounds like a children's book to me, but there's no way you'd put "Author of 'Mounting the Fat Lady'" on a children's book.

Do you have access to a better quality image? This one has all sorts of artifacts on the toilet seat, which I'm finding distracting.

Last edited by meeera; 11-30-2014 at 06:13 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I like the one on the left.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
^

The neon font colour for #3 has poor contrast with the lighter portions of the background image, IMHO, making it difficult to read the text at the small image size which is basically what people would be seeing in most search result listings. Perhaps some form of contrasting-colour outlining could help with this.

Also, it looks kind of unmatched to have the shaky-cam-effect font for the title, but use a standard sans-serif for the author name/etc., while keeping the colour the same. Maybe it would look better if all the neon-green text used the same font.

I understand what you're saying.

After some thought on this, I feel I agree with you that the type face is not quite the effect I want.

--- To complicate issues, I'm contemplating changing the title.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Well, you've got two lines of important coloured text placed exactly where a dark part of the image meets a very light part. The line of the toilet bowl disrupts the eye trying to read the title and the author - I was unable to fully read either in the thumbnail, so dealing with this is essential for ebook covers especially. The contrast is all wrong with the light-ish green fighting with both black and white, and being particularly difficult to read over the white parts of the image. Either placement or colour/shade needs changing. Personally I'd try making the image a little smaller so that the text sits more fully in the darker areas of the cover, and see how that looks, if you're DIY and not very acquainted with cover design/image manipulation. I'm not a big fan of your font pairing either; I don't think the two harmonise well.

Read a few articles about typography on book covers and about common errors in book cover design, and you'll find plenty to work with.

Is the audience you're looking for the same as the audience for your other book? Was it a particularly successful work, which will add to your marketing? I'd be put off by "Author of 'Mounting the Fat Lady'", and it's visual clutter also. Also, your cover gives me no sense of what kind of book this is - is it SF? Literary? YA? There's a visual language to genre and book covers, so if your book is a certain genre it's worth considering how and whether to work with that. "The People in the Toilet" sounds like a children's book to me, but there's no way you'd put "Author of 'Mounting the Fat Lady'" on a children's book.

Do you have access to a better quality image? This one has all sorts of artifacts on the toilet seat, which I'm finding distracting.

Thank you for your thoughts. It seems as if most of the comments here agree with you on this - about a complication of image meeting with font.

The audience is the same, in that I am looking for readers who enjoy encountering something that's a "bit off" when they read. I want them to encounter something unusual. Too, the familiar tropes one encounters in reading Edgar Rice Burroughs and/or Lin carter will be used. In fact, it's a kind of 'burlesque' on those familiar tropes.

This is a short story, so I'm not certain if that aspect should be promoted on the cover.

To clarify a bit further: The "Mounting" story I saw as literary; whereas, the current short story (for this cover I'm talking about) is more genre-based.

Thank you for your comments, which I'm paying very close attention to.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #15
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Without meaning to sound ... whatever ... I don't much like any of them. There is no sense of depth or reality to images, I suspect the colour manipulations have taken that away. I find the colours (in the bowl) too messy/murky/confusing/distracting so that it is no longer obvious what the outer ring really is. If you really are looking to be a more abstract image then the centre one does it - the blues and green on the right I don't really like at all.

I like the idea of the one on the left best. If you could curve the font over so that it really looked like it was flowing with the water then that would look better and add a sense of depth to it ... though I wonder if we have to pull back a bit to really get a sense of what we're looking at.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote