Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Imagination while reading?

I have been working in schools for years, but am currently going to college to get my teaching degree in English. In the past two years I worked closely with students in an English/Language Arts classroom and have noticed something by casual observation and questioning.

It seems that, often, poor readers do not 'see' what they are reading in their mind. They aren't making that connection in their brain and are too hung up on reading the words of a story. The good readers tend to picture the characters and action going on, just as if they were watching a movie.

I've always had these images in my head when I read, and when younger was often the hero or heroine or a story. Ok, so sometimes I was the bad guy too, if it was an interesting character. I find it internalizes the story more and helps me keep everything straight.

So, do you imagine the scenes from the books you read? I know people who read a lot are most likely "good" readers, because if you aren't you probably aren't going to do a lot of it, but I was wondering about this little cross section of humanity (or non-humans, if any be on here).
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Nope, I don't imagine what I'm reading visually.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
There's no such thing as "poor readers". They're either unfamiliar with the language (it takes a lot of exposure to really internalize a language!) or have a disability in language cognition.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I can't imagine not imagining. Characters have voices, scenery has texture. Those worlds become real.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
fishface, I have to disagree about there not being "poor readers". I deal with them a lot, and sometimes it is from lack of language skills, sometimes from a disability, but sometimes it has nothing to do with either. Some poor readers just do it poorly because they weren't taught properly and spend too much time on mechanics.

And some "poor" readers just never enjoyed reading, so did not work at it well enough to "get good". My husband is one of these. 99.99% of his reading is related to his job, and he does not and never has enjoyed reading. He classifies himself as a poor reader, simply because he is "slow" and doesn't enjoy it. For the record, he has a masters degree and teaches math and coaches, both quite well.

Everyone learns differently, and teachers strive to teach in enough different ways that most, if not all, students can understand. These are not disabilities the students have, just differing learning styles. Some are auditory learners, some are tactile, and some learn by reading. This doesn't make any of them disabled.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Depends on what I'm reading. The books I enjoy probably have a lot less descriptive info than what many others enjoy. Even with fiction, I'm more interested in how characters interact and think, and in how a story unfolds, than in imagining settings and such. I read heavily as a child and always tested above-level. I learned during a test for a high school program that I'm a self-taught speed reader.

I think if you're going to teach, you should be careful how your theories might limit your ability to teach. I've done some teaching, and I've observed that there's no one approach. With a class full of people, I try to engage as much as possible in a group, but note that some people just learn differently. With them, it's important to find alternatives, or you might lose them.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I can't imagine not imagining. Characters have voices, scenery has texture. Those worlds become real.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
You mean that there are readers who DON'T visualize mentally? I wouldn't be able to non-visualize a story if I actively tried.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I definitely visualize, as DixieGal says, it all comes alive in my head.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Oh, yes. I watch the action using my imagination as I read. Actually I am sometimes confused about if I have read a story or watched it in a movie. If a book doesn't get my imagination started, then I soon stop reading it.

One interesting thing is that I don't enjoy reading fiction in Swedish, my native language, as much as in English. I don't seem to get my imagination going as easily in Swedish for some reason. It seems that my mind gets underutilized and I get easily distracted. But that (usually) don't apply to non-fiction.

My learning strategy when reading non-fiction is to imagine, while I read, that I am teaching/telling someone about what I am learning, or using what I read for some practical purpose. So my imagination is very active even when I read non-fiction.

So I imagine that I learn by imagining things ...

Last edited by Adoby; 07-27-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I normally "see" the scenes and "hear" the dialog when I'm reading. Obviously, some authors can write better than others so their descriptions allow me to be "in" the book more fully. I guess that is imagination, but driven by the book together with my mind, rather than my mind alone.

Not sure if that makes sense. Sometimes, when distracted, I'll read a page or so mechanically. To me, that is to reading what radio is to an IMAX 3D movie.

I taught adults for 12 years and have interacted with all levels of readers, from barely literate to ravenously consuming everything. While I've never thought about the "imagination" part of reading, I've seen it played out when I'm teaching. There are those who will live with you in an illustration. They are walking down the path, hearing and seeing what you describe. There are others who hear and understand, but it's like looking at a picture for them. Lastly, there are those who don't understand you are illustrating something with a story.

In teaching, you have to use any method at all to get your point across because people learn and interact differently.

Also, there are those who do not want to learn. Those are the really hard ones to teach.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
There are poor readers just as there are poor cooks, poor carpenters, poor baseball players, and poor anything else. Insisting that there aren't won't make your food magically taste good, your porch not fall down, or the Red Sox recruit you to pitch. Such is life.

Personally, I think there are a number of reasons for the problem under discussion. One is that children are taught, all too often, that written words are just transcriptions of sounds, and reading is the process of converting them back into sounds and understanding what they "hear". So there's no direct word-eye-brain connection; it's a word-eye-mouth-ear-brain connection; they move their lips when they read because they're not reading; they're listening. All their focus is on hearing the words, not on the images those words create. When they read "It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents--except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness," they're not hearing the wind gusting through the streets, the beating of the rain on the windows, and the rattling of the shutters. No, they're hearing a voice reciting "It. was. a. dark. and. stor. my. night."

I'm not sure what I'd do to teach people like that (note: IANAT). Maybe try to get their other senses engaged. Have them draw pictures of scenes from the book, or perhaps dramatize them (the less dialog the better!). Pick a story where no physical descriptions are given of the characters, and ask the students to describe them. In short, try to engage senses other than their ears.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
My imagination is definitely is at work when I read. I see far more than words when I read; the better the author describes the scene, the more vivid it becomes for me (although my imagination is quite good at filling in any holes). One of my favorite books is Wind in the Willows (I reread it every two or three years). While the plot is simple overall (it is a children's story), the descriptive language paints a vivid image that both places me in the scene and also sets the mood for me.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Well said, I agree
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #15
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
There's no such thing as "poor readers". They're either unfamiliar with the language (it takes a lot of exposure to really internalize a language!) or have a disability in language cognition.
I agree 100%
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote