Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
anigrin
anigrin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Can you change how tapping turns pages?

I have a Kobo Aura One. I usually read one handed, sometimes with my right hand and sometimes with my left hand. I hardly ever use page back. Is there any way (hack) that allows you to change the behavior of the reader so that a tap anywhere on the page (except the top) causes the page to go forward? You'd still be able to page back when you had to by swiping left to right. I searched pretty extensively but I couldn't find a way to do this.

The closest reading option currently is the one where taps on the bottom third of the screen cause forward page turns, taps in the middle bring up the menu, and taps on the top third cause backward page turns. This is close but not optimal because I find myself tapping in the middle much to often and wind up getting the menu. (Also, I like having menu on the top.)

Thanks
Albert
anigrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
I would really like this too!

(And my preference would be: menu in the bottom middle)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Done in patches v30:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I've released patches v30 with a new "Both page turn sides go next" patch by me

This patch makes both page turn sides (or top/bottom, depending on your selection in Reading Settings) go next in the reader. This patch was made at the request of anigrin and Mrs_Often.

This patch was quite tricky to track down, as there were quite a few ways I could have done this. The first way was to have changed out the dimensions of the calculated rectangles for page turning, but that ended up being too complicated due to the use of QHash's of QRects and pointers upon pointers to functions. I ended up wasting quite a bit of time trying to do it this way. The second way was to just swap out the next and previous page functions, but this had way too many side effects. The third way was to override the tap detection completely, and although this was relatively simple, it would have become a big hassle to update in future versions. The way I ended up doing this is by taking advantage of the right-to-left support (which swaps back and forward taps), and making it set back = forward and forward = forward instead of back = forward and forward = back.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:31 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Can you change how tapping turns pages?

Oh! My! That was so unexpected and fast and just yay! Thank you!!

P.S. I must spread some karma before I can give you more... EDIT: Done and done.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 11-17-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote