Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I had some microcredits left at Fictionwise. Browsing their list of new titles I came across Maya Angelou's book, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings. I was familiar with Angelou's poetry but this was the first time I've read her prose. I downloaded it and I'm very happy I did.

It starts poetically:

"What you looking at me for? / I didn't come to stay..."

I hadn't so much forgot as I couldn't bring myself to remember. Other things were more important.

This book is set in the American past. It was not a good time in race relations--well, worse than now, it seems. The story begins when their parents breakup sends two children from California to stay with their grandmother in Arkansas.

The language is beautiful and the book, a Random House imprint, is well formatted in ePub.

There is sadness here as well as beauty, but it is certainly worth a look.

Last edited by 6charlong; 07-31-2010 at 12:08 PM.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thank you, it sounds interesting. Too bad it's geo-restricted, but I will keep an eye out for it.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I read the book many years ago. It's very sad but well written. I also read the second book and some of the third. I think the whole of her autobiography is being releases in my region in September in ebook format. I would like to read it completely. I do have the whole autobiography in a hardback, but it's too big to carry around and read. Hopefully the all 6 ebooks will be released in September so I can finally finish them.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
It's available at Books on Board UK for £8.06. It's not clear which countries it's available to, but I suppose most European countries? I can buy it from France anyway.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=437686

Edit: oops, it's on pre-order only at the moment, and I'm not so sure I will actually be able to buy it. The BoB site is not the most user friendly, and I'm getting confused now...

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 08-03-2010 at 11:08 AM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote