Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #16
Al Adams
eBook Reader Nut
Al Adams began at the beginning.

Device: NookSimple Touch & 5 Android Tablet(s), & Personal Computer...
Smile Nook App from Windows Ten - Works Great...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you just copied "C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState" and tried pasting that in your Windows Explorer, it won't work because your particular username folder isn't going to be called "username"

Just to make sure everything is correct, make sure you are following these steps:

1: Open the Nook app. The home page should show My Library and show a few of your book covers. If they are stored online, in the upper left corner of the cover, there will be a little cloud icon with a down pointing arrow. If you've downloaded the book, it will just show the cover without the cloud.

Make sure you've downloaded at least one book. To download, just click
on the cloud.

2: Open Windows Explorer. Go to the top and click 'View'. Make sure 'Hidden Items' has a check in the box. If it doesn't, check it.

3: In Windows Explorer, look at the left hand column. Under 'This PC' click 'Windows (C)' In the folder list on the right, click 'Users'

4: In the 'Users' folder you should have at least three folders: 'Default', 'Public' and a folder that uses some version of your Windows 10 user name. Click that folder.

5: Click 'App Data', then 'Local', then 'Packages', then 'BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc', then 'LocalState'

6: In that folder there should be a few ePub files. Their names will just be numbers. You can drag them from that folder to Calibre.

7: If Alf was set up correctly, you should be able to open the books in Calibre. If it gives you a message about DRM, something is wrong with your Alf setup.

Hope this helps.
The Location works as Described and The ePubs ARE NOT ENCRYPTED AT ALL - I Opened a number of "Numbered" ePubs with Adobe Digital Editions That Has Never Had the Nook ID Info Entered - So Any of These Numbred ePubs will Open with a Standard ePub Friendy Reader !!!!
Al Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Adams View Post
The Location works as Described and The ePubs ARE NOT ENCRYPTED AT ALL - I Opened a number of "Numbered" ePubs with Adobe Digital Editions That Has Never Had the Nook ID Info Entered - So Any of These Numbred ePubs will Open with a Standard ePub Friendy Reader !!!!
Be careful about that. I don't know what books you were dealing with. But I've downloaded a few ePubs published by one of the Big 5 publishers and they are indeed encrypted. When I try to open with Sigil or Calibre, I get "çannot open due to DRM."
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #18
rwgraves
rwgraves began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD Mini 4
Something has changed. I purchased a book from B&N and downloaded it to Calibre on 8/16/20 and the DRM lock was removed. I bought two new books from B&N on 10/06/20
and downloaded them to Calibre. When I try to open them in Calibre I receive a "DRM Lock" error message. I reloaded the "NOOK for PC" app and I got the same result. I wonder if one of the plug-ins in Calibre needs to be updated?
rwgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #19
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
It's been a while since I have been able to remove DRM from any BN books. I have taken several of the "Free Friday" books and found that they didn't have DRM and I could load them into Calibre. However, I only buy books I don't want to lose from places other than Barnes & Noble.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:08 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgraves View Post
Something has changed. I purchased a book from B&N and downloaded it to Calibre on 8/16/20 and the DRM lock was removed. I bought two new books from B&N on 10/06/20
and downloaded them to Calibre. When I try to open them in Calibre I receive a "DRM Lock" error message. I reloaded the "NOOK for PC" app and I got the same result. I wonder if one of the plug-ins in Calibre needs to be updated?
The de-DRM plugin doesn't work with Calibre versions 5.0 and higher. If you updated your Calibre recently to 5.x, downgrade to 4.23 again.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #21
rwgraves
rwgraves began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD Mini 4
Just to report back success in removing DRM. Sirtel recommended reloading version 4.23 so I did. It coexists with version 5.x. Now, when I wish to de-DRM a B&N purchase, I do it using version 4.23. It is then available in 5.x also. Thanks Sirtel for the tip!
rwgraves is offline   Reply With Quote