Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
David Kudler
Enthusiast
David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad
Question Sigil 1.3 (64) not opening in Windows 10?

I'm mostly a Mac user, so forgive me here -- my ability to solve problems on Windows machines is a bit more limited than it should be.

I had Sigil (1.1, I think?) running fine on my daughter's gaming computer, which has a better graphic card than my laptop, and which is running an up-to-date version of Windows 10. I noticed that I hadn't updated Sigil to the latest version, so I ran the Sigil 1.3 (64-bit) installer for Windows.

When I clicked on the app in the Start menu to open it... nothing. Tried to open an ePub file... nothing. Tried opening the Sigil.exe file directly in the /Program Files/Sigil/ folder... nothing. Looked for any sort of an error log in the folder... nothing. Looked in the Control Panel app for some version of the Console (log reader app) from macOS... nothing. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling... Yeah. You got it: nothing.

Can anyone suggest a) what might be wrong and b) how I might have solved this without having to come bother you kind folks?

ETA: Well, found the Report.wer file eventually. (Attached.) Sadly, it tells me absolutely nothing.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Report.wer.txt (20.8 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by David Kudler; 08-24-2020 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Found some info -- but not a solution
David Kudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you verified that you have the most current video drivers on your system?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
According to your Report.wer.txt file the actual faulting module is Qt5Core which is a Qt module.

Some very basic things to try...

1. You said you installed the 64 bit version of Sigil. Is this a 64 bit version of Windows 10?

2. Perhaps it is a permissions issue? Have you tried running it as admin?

3. Try setting the SIGIL_DEBUG_LOGFILE environment variable to be a path to debug.txt file you create someplace Sigil and you have write permission to see if it logs any errors.

4. Have you tried backing up your Sigil Preferences folder and doing a fresh install and launch with no sigil.ini file. Corrupted sigili.ini files can and do cause crashes on launch.

5. Using the most up to date video driver is also worth trying.

Perhaps a Windows user can be more help here.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
David Kudler
Enthusiast
David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'David Kudler knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you verified that you have the most current video drivers on your system?
Good thought, and yes, it's running the up-to-date GeForce driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
According to your Report.wer.txt file the actual faulting module is Qt5Core which is a Qt module.

Some very basic things to try...

1. You said you installed the 64 bit version of Sigil. Is this a 64 bit version of Windows 10?

2. Perhaps it is a permissions issue? Have you tried running it as admin?

3. Try setting the SIGIL_DEBUG_LOGFILE environment variable to be a path to debug.txt file you create someplace Sigil and you have write permission to see if it logs any errors.

4. Have you tried backing up your Sigil Preferences folder and doing a fresh install and launch with no sigil.ini file. Corrupted sigili.ini files can and do cause crashes on launch.

5. Using the most up to date video driver is also worth trying.

Perhaps a Windows user can be more help here.
:sigh: Solved! It was #4 -- the sigil.ini was evidently corrupt.

I wouldn't know where to set the variable in #3 -- just out of curiosity, how would I do that?
Old 08-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
David Kudler
Enthusiast

Oh, and thank you, KevinH and PeterT, for your help!
Old 08-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sorry, I'm so late to this. I have indeed seen a corrupt sigil.ini cause Sigil to silently fail to launch before.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kudler View Post
I wouldn't know where to set the variable in #3 -- just out of curiosity, how would I do that?
On Windows 10, type 'env' (no quotes) in the Taskbar search, then click the resulting "Edit the system environment variables" item. Click the "Environment Variables" button on the resulting dialog (you'll be on the Advanced Tab of the System Properties dialog), and create a new user variable named SIGIL_DEBUG_LOGFILE; and for the value, enter a path to a text file (it will be created when Sigil runs if it doesn't already exist). I do something like C:\Users\<username>\Desktop\sigil-logfile.txt so it's easy to find. You have to have file creation/write permissions to the location given.

Logging can slow things down considerable on Windows, so remember to delete the variable when no longer needed

(or just rename it slightly so you don't have to recreate from scratch every time you want to debug. I leave it something like SIGIL_DERBUG_LOGFILE, so I can just delete the 'R' and start logging again)

You could also launch Sigil from a batch file and set the environment variable there.

The easiest way for me to do it on Windows is to open a command prompt, cd to the Sigil program directory, then set a session variable with:
Code:
SET SIGIL_DEBUG_LOGFILE=C:\Users\Doug\Desktop\sigil_logfile.txt
(hit enter)

Followed by:
Code:
sigil
(hit enter)
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote