Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A (Sheet) Music Reader

FreeHand Music ofers a 12.1" backlit LCD dedicated sheet music reader called the MusicPad Pro that retails for $1,199. Weighing about 4 lbs and with a resolution of 1024 x 768, the MusicPad Pro also has a jack that connects a foot pedal for turning the pages. They also have an online store that offers almost 90,000 digital music scores. It looks a lot like a large sized Sony or iLaid reader (but without the e-ink screen.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:09 AM   #2
g.m. caryland
g.m. caryland began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Digital Music Score (DMS)

in a news article (06/06/2006) on the Plasic Logic website is something written about digital music score using flexible display technology. Unfortunately till now I could not find any further information about this. Does anybody know where to get some more information?

thank you ...
g.m. caryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's a previous article on it, but I don't think it adds much...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6860
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
LaTeX handles music sheets quite well, so it would be possible to add support for this on the Sony and iRex. The only real problem is that, whit music, you'd better refresh the page really fast, and you can't always use your hands. Maybe that's what the iRiver double screen is for ?
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Maybe we can get a foot pedal or a wireless remote for the Sony.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
g.m. caryland
g.m. caryland began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
a foot-switch for turning the pages was great. The reader's screen is large enough for one strophe at least. If the reader would process MIDI data it could be placed into an effects gear gain and pages would get turned automaticaly at the right song position.
g.m. caryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
mbmleone
mbmleone began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo x61 Tablet PC
Post Alternative

There is also an alternative system available called MusicReader. This is software that runs on standard Tablet PCs, laptops and desktops. This digital music stand is currently only available for Windows.
mbmleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
That makes more sense. I bet more people would be willing to buy software and maybe some sort of remote they could use with a regular tablet PC than a special tablet just for music that offers no other real benefits.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
mbmleone

I agree, general devices like Tablet PCs are more likely to be the future. You already see this development in smartphones, everything is integrated into one device. A device like the MPP doesn't make sense in such a development.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Man I built one of these about 8 years ago using Adobe PDF, a MIDI guitar board, and about 300 lines of code! I should have sold them and made some money. This is a major rip-off. A DIY-er could pull this product off in about one weekend.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
Maybe we can get a foot pedal or a wireless remote for the Sony.
Now that is a good idea, especially when you're all cozy under your covers and the book is sitting on your chest.

Once the new firmware (and flasher) are out, this probably won't be too bad, especially utilizing the USB port to interface with some kind of mouse driver.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:43 AM   #12
mbmleone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Man I built one of these about 8 years ago using Adobe PDF, a MIDI guitar board, and about 300 lines of code! I should have sold them and made some money. This is a major rip-off. A DIY-er could pull this product off in about one weekend.
The very basic features are indeed possible with Adobe PDF, but MusicReader goes further then that, it has a lot of additional functions which are not possible with PDF. It's by the way the result of a large research project on a university. The user interface for example is designed for Tablet PCs and touch screens.
I don't now if you tried the software, but perhaps you should try the evaluation version.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmleone View Post
The very basic features are indeed possible with Adobe PDF, but MusicReader goes further then that, it has a lot of additional functions which are not possible with PDF. It's by the way the result of a large research project on a university. The user interface for example is designed for Tablet PCs and touch screens.
I don't now if you tried the software, but perhaps you should try the evaluation version.
The key question, though, is how much music is actually available for it. It's no use buying that kind of thing unless the music that you actually want to play is available for it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
astrodad
Guru

Here are some of the specs/features. My little device did all of this using PDF, except the touchscreen aspect:

Quote:
Some of the things the seller claims that this device will allow you to do:
• Store your entire music library
• Download nearly 50,000 digital music scores already formatted for the MusicPad Pro Plus from www.sunhawk.com
• Scan your music library into a computer and then convert
• Annotate with zoom in and zoom out feature feature while writing
• Add or erase rehearsal marks and notations
• Personal on screen color notes
• Use an extensive library of notation symbols
• Text annotation via a virtual keyboard
I'm not saying it's a cool thing, believe me, I loved mine (it got totaled in a car crash), but it's expensive as heck. I still maintain that a dedicated DIYer can do this in a week at the most.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #15
sanders
Connoisseur
sanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-bookssanders has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex Iliad
I've tried this with my iLiad, predominantly with my own music I compose using Sibelius and then print to PDF. I used to use LaTeX (MusixTeX) but as much as a LaTeX fan as I am, I'll have to admit a WYSIWYG music editor is much nicer for me.

The big problem is the page turning speed; when playing the piano you'll usually have a very small "window of opportunity" to turn pages, but perhaps the foot pedal trick would alleviate this somewhat. I know there are USB foot pedals (rather expensive) but maybe it's an interesting DIY project to hack one out of a mouse or something.
sanders is offline   Reply With Quote