Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Jeez2
Jeez2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505S
Need Some Advice

Good day all: I've been going through the forum and decided to register.. I am looking for an E-reader and I have pretty well decided on either the Sony PRS-505 or the Astak Easy Reader... I am buying for the purpose of reading outside in either direct sunlight or shade. Having been to the sony webpage and reading up on the prs-505 and reading up on the astak easy reader, I know that both have the e-ink screens. I just need to know if you really can read in direct sunlight with both readers. Also I would like to hear from people that have used any of these readers to find out which one would be the best in direct sunlight. Thanks in advance for all your replies...
Kevin
Jeez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Both are outstanding for reading outside in the sun.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to mobileread, Jeez2
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
jerryprism
jerryprism began at the beginning.

Device: clie nz-90
I like the idea of the replaceable battery with the Astak. I don't know if the Sony battery is replaceable. If it's a Sony they probably use their own battery unavaialble to anyone anywhere. Sony uses it's own memory card,and trhe AStak uses an SD card you can buy anywhere. The guts of the machines are probably the same. I'd like to know which oine you can read a nite wihout a nite light. The whole backlighting issue is still a big thing for me. WHat good is an electronic book reader if you can read in bed without a nite lite? Especially if you can plug in ear phones and listen to music?
jerryprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Any e-ink is perfectly readable in direct sunlight. This is a major advantage of e-ink over lcd technology. In direct sunglight I suspect you will see no difference between Sony and Astak.

Now, trying to decide between the Sony and Astak, look at the formats supported by each device. Make sure to note which formats are DRM and which ones are DRM-Free. Based upon your preferred reading check out the various ebookstores to see which formats are available and the prices. Many of the more popular sites are fictionwise, booksonboard, diesel or your local library. Some people make the mistake of buying a particular reader but can't find the specific books they like in that reader's supported format.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryprism View Post
Sony uses it's own memory card,and trhe AStak uses an SD card you can buy anywhere.
Sony 505 takes SD cards as well as Pro Duo.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Jeez2

Thanks for all the replies... I forgot about the battery issue... The removable battery in the easy rider is a good thing... After having sony cameras, as well as psp.. i know all about their proprietary batteries.. Removing it from the prs-505 would probably void the warranty and having to send it to sony to replace the battery is not really an option.. I am reading a lot about the sony conversions from different formats to a format that it can read. The easy reader doesn't seem to have that problem from what I am reading now... I am just skimming through the forum... will have to really do some reading.. Also is their much difference between the 4 shades of grey in the easy reader and 8 shades of grey in the sony besides the obvious? Thanks again for all replies...
Kevin
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Make sure you check it out right away (whichever you get) in the sun. Some do fade in sunlight. Mine does (I have a 505), but it doesn't bother me. I didn't even know it wasn't supposed to do that until a few months ago.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I suspect you won't see much of a difference between 4 shades and 8 shades, The 8 shades probably makes the text a little clearer but by no means is the text in 4 shades fuzzy.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 8 shades makes photos look better. But as for text, there should be no difference between 4 shades and 8 shades. But, the Sony should have faster page turns owing to the fact that it's using a newer screen controller then one that only does 4 shades.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez2 View Post
Also is their much difference between the 4 shades of grey in the easy reader and 8 shades of grey in the sony besides the obvious? Thanks again for all replies...
Kevin
That's one thing I'm worried about too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 8 shades makes photos look better. But as for text, there should be no difference between 4 shades and 8 shades. But, the Sony should have faster page turns owing to the fact that it's using a newer screen controller then one that only does 4 shades.
So, if I have the choice between a 4 or 8 shades, I'd go for the 8 because it's faster? Does that go for all devices?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
As far as displaying text, there should be no difference between 4 or 8 shades. (Text is black--only one shade.) Like JS Wolf says, you'll notice a difference if you're viewing pictures on the reader. I wouldn't expect there to be a really noticable difference in speed between the 4 or 8 shades, but there probably is a minimal difference.

Jerryprism--no e-ink device is going to have a back light. Backlighting won't work with the technology. You can get a Sony 700 that will have side lights--that's the only e-ink device with lighting actually built in. And as Kelly says, the Sony also takes SD.

As far as replaceable batteries go, for me that's a non-issue. I've had my Sony 505 for 15 months now, and still get three to four weeks out of a single charge--that's with reading between one and five hours every day on it. I do know that there kits to replace the battery out there as well--but don't have any specific knowledge of how easy the battery is to replace.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Jeez2

Again, thanks for the replies. I just have one more question and then I will be going into the forums for the sony and astak (hanlin v3) and checking them out.. Okay, since you can see the books fine in direct sunlight, what about with prescription sunglasses or transition glasses, since I need them to see ?
Kevin
Old 06-19-2009, 02:42 AM   #14
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
For me, reading on my reader in sunlight is much better than reading a pBook. I don't wear prescription lenses, but do wear my sunglasses outside and can see my reader just fine. I think a good rule of thumb is, if you're in a situation where you can read from paper you'll be able to read from your reader just fine. The only possible exception to this is in low light situations. Sometimes, it's harder to read from the reader, but in those cases, I just hit the increase font button to increase the font one size.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
For me, reading on my reader in sunlight is much better than reading a pBook. I don't wear prescription lenses, but do wear my sunglasses outside and can see my reader just fine. I think a good rule of thumb is, if you're in a situation where you can read from paper you'll be able to read from your reader just fine. The only possible exception to this is in low light situations. Sometimes, it's harder to read from the reader, but in those cases, I just hit the increase font button to increase the font one size.
I second this! I have used my Cybook at the beach in Mexico and had no issues reading it in the bright sunshine. I have used my BeBook (same as EZ Reader) at the park while my family flies kites and had no issues either. In low light conditions I wouldn't be wearing sunglasses anyway but may increase the font size just to make it a bit easier to read. The adjustable font size is a big part of why I never read paper books anymore, they are so, so, static.

Both of my eBook Readers are 4 grayscale, I have no issues at all with reading the text, it is very clear. Some pictures do not show as nicely as they might on an 8 grayscale screen, but most of my eBooks are fiction and don't have pictures anyway.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote