Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I just saw Star Trek

I'm a hardcore Star Trek fan. I'm so dedicated that I'm still bugged by the historical revisionism in ST: First Contact. But I have to say that I like this movie.

It's actually a lot better than the trailers led me to believe. I had previously described it as "twenty-somethings blow shit up". That's not true. This is more than just a J. J. Abrams action flick. It's one of the better Star Trek movies. I'd rate it above Nemesis, ST5, and ST1.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm a hardcore Star Trek fan. I'm so dedicated that I'm still bugged by the historical revisionism in ST: First Contact. But I have to say that I like this movie.

It's actually a lot better than the trailers led me to believe. I had previously described it as "twenty-somethings blow shit up". That's not true. This is more than just a J. J. Abrams action flick. It's one of the better Star Trek movies. I'd rate it above Nemesis, ST5, and ST1.
Khaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!!

Now I'm not a big Trek fan, but I have friends who are and I've picked up some stuff from them, and I must say that this film worked on both a non-Trekkie level and a Trekkie-fan level. I really enjoyed it, even though i thought it would be terrible. Bones was great, Scotty I loved, and the story was fun too, not just mindless action, even though there was plenty of that to be had.

Best summer blockbuster in years, whether you're into Trek or not.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I've heard the graphics are subpar, I will probably not see it as I never have liked Star Trek
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

That's good to know! Is it appropriate for a 10 year-old girl? We've been watching all of the repeats of the original Star Trek series with her. That's why I ask.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
That's good to know! Is it appropriate for a 10 year-old girl? We've been watching all of the repeats of the original Star Trek series with her. That's why I ask.
I would probably not take a child younger than 12 in there, just due to a certain degree of violence and revenge themes. There's some sexuality, but nothing I would worry about a ten year old seeing (adults in their underwear is about the extent of it).
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I would probably not take a child younger than 12 in there, just due to a certain degree of violence and revenge themes. There's some sexuality, but nothing I would worry about a ten year old seeing (adults in their underwear is about the extent of it).
Thanks for the input!
Now if they only played it at the drive-in as the second film following a family flick...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Nate - Did you see it on an IMAX screen? We went to the showing at the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space museum and it was pretty spectacular.

I liked the movie and understood why they did what they did to the timeline, but as a devoted trekie, I was a little upset that they changed so much. It did leave a clean slate for any future movies, but I don't know why they felt they needed to rewrite history.

Rebarnmom - I don't know about your daughter, but there were was one particular bug related scene that would have completely freaked out Ryleigh (she's 8). I think 12 is probably a good cut off age, unless your child is fairly mature.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #8
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Rebarnmom - I don't know about your daughter, but there were was one particular bug related scene that would have completely freaked out Ryleigh (she's 8). I think 12 is probably a good cut off age, unless your child is fairly mature.

Kaz
Thanks for telling me! That scene might freak ME out!
Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I like Star Trek too
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nate - Did you see it on an IMAX screen? We went to the showing at the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space museum and it was pretty spectacular.
I saw it on a regular screen. I expected to hate it enough to walk out, and I wasn't going to pay extra for the privilege.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found this information posted 8 years ago on one of news website. It is interesting that UT-103 was produced by the same company that produce jetBook now:

Remember the "Universal Translator" in the original Star Trek series? Though even the most far-flung aliens spoke perfect California English, every once in a while the crew would encounter beings so backward they actually spoke another language. In those cases, Spock would talk into a gadget that looked like a karaoke microphone, and out would come the language of the alien creature. In one famous scene, Captain Kirk wanted to talk to a creature made of electricity. When Spock told him the creature's method of communication was so totally different and mysterious that the Universal Translator wouldn't work, Kirk barked out: "I don't care. Fix it!" And so Spock took out a screwdriver and modified the device so it worked perfectly with the alien language. Well, now there's a real Universal Translator you can buy. The UT-103, made by Ectaco Inc., translates English, French, German and Spanish on the fly. More European languages and several Asian languages will soon be added. And if there's a language it doesn't support, you can just take out a screwdriver and fix it.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I like Star Trek too
Wrong series. Here is the correct one:
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned

I like both series
Old 05-16-2009, 02:39 AM   #14
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
for me, its

pre Dominion DS9
Voyager Post 7 of 9
Ent Seasons 1, 2 and 4
Voy Pre 7 Of 9
TNG
Dominion DS9
Ent Season 3
TOS (I hate shatner)

Overall, if I cant split series, Voy, DS9, Ent, tng, Tos

7 of 9 didn't affect my opinion, I liked Kes Too. but I liked the interpersonal relation ships post seven, especially Belana and Tom

Last edited by Andybaby; 05-16-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I liked the movie and understood why they did what they did to the timeline, but as a devoted trekie, I was a little upset that they changed so much. It did leave a clean slate for any future movies, but I don't know why they felt they needed to rewrite history.
I liked the movie very much, and the reason why they felt they needed to rewrite history is because otherwise it'll be very hard to make movies that won't clash with the "history" that is already out there.

I liked how the characters developed their likes to each other, even though the orginal circumstances were different. I especially loved the rogue Kirk. He was so recognizable from the Original Series, always doing something that wasn't exactly allowed by SF regulations...

And Bones was hilarious... The way he treated Kirk when they entered the ship was one of my favourite scenes...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote