Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Mary Stewart - Arthurian Saga

Picked up the Mary Stewart trilogy in audio book this morning for $3 per. I don't know if it's because I had bought all three as ebooks (i.e. the whispersync tie in), my membership or if they had just been reduced, but the last two just came out this month. Read by Dererk Perkins. Haven't had a chance to do more than just listen to the a couple of bits and pieces, but he does have a good voice.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Picked up the Mary Stewart trilogy in audio book this morning for $3 per. I don't know if it's because I had bought all three as ebooks (i.e. the whispersync tie in), my membership or if they had just been reduced, but the last two just came out this month. Read by Dererk Perkins. Haven't had a chance to do more than just listen to the a couple of bits and pieces, but he does have a good voice.
Whispersync is the reason for that pricing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess that means that the ebooks are legit regardless of what some may think.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess that means that the ebooks are legit regardless of what some may think.
I don't know anything about the author or these books, but why is their legitimacy being questioned?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't know anything about the author or these books, but why is their legitimacy being questioned?
These books are not legit because they say they are published by EOS in April 2016 and EOS was defunct before then. So there is no way they are legit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
These books are not legit because they say they are published by EOS in April 2016 and EOS was defunct before then. So there is no way they are legit.
Only books 1 and 3 are EOS (HarperCollins), books 2, 4, and 5 are Hodder & Stoughton (Hachette). All 3 audiobooks (books 1 to 3) are Blackstone Audio.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The author died back in 2014. The books are classics in the Arthur genre. There is a history of pirated versions of the books, but in this case I see no real evidence that they are not legit and quite a bit of evidence that they are legit.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The author died back in 2014. The books are classics in the Arthur genre. There is a history of pirated versions of the books, but in this case I see no real evidence that they are not legit and quite a bit of evidence that they are legit.
So the fact that some of the books are from a publisher that no longer exists and stopped existing before the date published doesn't send red flags?
Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Only books 1 and 3 are EOS (HarperCollins), books 2, 4, and 5 are Hodder & Stoughton (Hachette). All 3 audiobooks (books 1 to 3) are Blackstone Audio.
The 4th book is missing. The first three show as from EOS which is no longer in business. EOS went out of business before the dates shown.

Also, Hodder & Stoughton is a UK publisher. So if you see any listed under that publisher, then yes, it's fake because you cannot buy UK eBooks in the US on Amazon.com.

Amazon makes it very easy to pull off this scam. That's why these books are up on Amazon. Oh and if they were real, they would have DRM. There's no way they'd be there with no DRM. There'salso no way they'd be exclusive to Amazon.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-16-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
JSWolf is right. There are no current legitimate ebook versions available in the US.

And yes, it is very hard for ordinary readers to tell.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So the fact that some of the books are from a publisher that no longer exists and stopped existing before the date published doesn't send red flags?
No. There are legitimate legal reasons to use the name of the company (EOS) that signed the original contract rather than the current company (HarperCollins).
Old 01-16-2017, 08:26 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
JSWolf is right. There are no current legitimate ebook versions available in the US.

And yes, it is very hard for ordinary readers to tell.
How do you know? (to be precise, how do you personally know there is no legit ebook version of Mary Stewart's books, not how can you tell a difference).
Old 01-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
How do you know? (to be precise, how do you personally know there is no legit ebook version of Mary Stewart's books, not how can you tell a difference).
Because I've emailed Hodder and Stoughton who have the UK rights. But I don't have their reply to hand (at home), so I can't quote exactly, but my memory is that they are aware of these pirate editions and are trying to get them removed. (They used to also be in the UK store.)

But that the books do not have DRM when they're purportedly from a publisher that does use DRM is enough on its own to indicate that something dodgy is going on.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No. There are legitimate legal reasons to use the name of the company (EOS) that signed the original contract rather than the current company (HarperCollins).
What are these legitimate reasons? I cannot think of a single one. I can see EOS being used maybe if the book was put up while EOS was still in business. But after that, I see no reason at all to use EOS as EOS is no longer the publisher.

The way I see it, whoever put up these bogus versions went with the publisher listed in the pBook when the scans were done and did not know that EOS is no longer. That and they have no DRM when HarperCollins is not selling DRM free eBooks.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Because I've emailed Hodder and Stoughton who have the UK rights. But I don't have their reply to hand (at home), so I can't quote exactly, but my memory is that they are aware of these pirate editions and are trying to get them removed. (They used to also be in the UK store.)

But that the books do not have DRM when they're purportedly from a publisher that does use DRM is enough on its own to indicate that something dodgy is going on.
So the most that you can say is there is no legit UK ebook editions. You would have to check with HarperCollins to see if they put out the US edition or not.

Not all HarperCollins ebooks have DRM. As a matter of fact, they sell ebooks from their web site that are DRM free.

Mary Stewart is listed as one of the HarperCollins authors on their website and if you go to the Crystal Cave page at HarperCollins, (https://www.harpercollins.com/978006...e-crystal-cave) it links you back to the Amazon page that include the kindle version. So either it's legit or HarperCollins is extremely negligent and Amazon is accepting a huge legal liability.

Both Amazon and HarperCollins have many, many lawyers to keep that sort of thing from happening. It's hard to believe that not only would neither notice it for 10 months, but that Amazon would link a pirated ebook to their audible store. I'm pretty sure that active linkage removes any safe harbor that Amazon might have.