Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Zac Bedell's iPhone Bookshelf App ShelfServer Help Needed

I would like to set up a shelfserver that can be accessed via the internet (such as an edge or wifi connection away from home).

This involves some port forwarding which I have some vague understanding but it looks like I might need to have a static IP. So I've been debating whether I want to buy a static IP from my ISP or whether I go with a web hosting service that allows for java apps and run the java app from the hosting service.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding that or am I completely wrong about the need for a static IP? Thanks in advance.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I would like to set up a shelfserver that can be accessed via the internet (such as an edge or wifi connection away from home).

This involves some port forwarding which I have some vague understanding but it looks like I might need to have a static IP. So I've been debating whether I want to buy a static IP from my ISP or whether I go with a web hosting service that allows for java apps and run the java app from the hosting service.

Does anyone have an opinion regarding that or am I completely wrong about the need for a static IP? Thanks in advance.
You don't need a static IP address. What you do need is a DNS. I have such that I use with no-IP http://www.no-ip.com. They have a small app called DUC that is used to keep the DNS you've selected in sync with your ISP assigned IP address. And once all is setup, you can just use the DNS to access the home computer.

As for port forwarding go to http://www.portforward.com and read on how to make a static IP between your computer and router so you'll always have this port properly forwarded.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Jon, Thank you. That works perfectly. I think Bedell's Shelfserver is ingenious. I was wondering if you could run two of those on one computer. I'd like to be able to have one server open to the public and one for my private use. Any thoughts.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
Jon, Thank you. That works perfectly. I think Bedell's Shelfserver is ingenious. I was wondering if you could run two of those on one computer. I'd like to be able to have one server open to the public and one for my private use. Any thoughts.
That I am not sure of. They only way to find out is to try launching it twice and see if you can make both instances have seperate settings. If it can be run twice but not have seperate settings, maybe try installing a second copy to a different directory. Another way is to use a second computer on your internal network.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #5
da_jane
Evangelist

I corresponded with the developer and he said that there are ways, but I didn't really understand them. You can't run two versions at the same time on the same computer.
Advert