Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #61
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

On the other hand, if lighting is the only reason to buy, consider just getting a bright light and attaching it to your cover.
Any recommendations? I'm not sure I want to deal with carrying another device and having to fiddle with it just because I need light for 4-5 minutes while I wait for the train. The appeal with the new lighted ereaders is that it's all seamless. But if there is a good device at value--I may buy one to tie me over until I decide on a new reader.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 PM   #62
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
... I'm not sure I want to deal with carrying another device and having to fiddle with it just because I need light for 4-5 minutes while I wait for the train. The appeal with the new lighted ereaders is that it's all seamless ...
The seamless factor makes a big difference to me and is well worth it as far as I'm concerned. If I were waiting for 5 minutes on a dimly lit train platform, I would just grumble about the dark and wouldn't bother with fiddling with an external light. But with a lighted reader, I would definitely read during those 5 minutes of waiting.

Also an external light really can't compare to an integrated light. With a lighted reader: 1. The light is more even than an external light. 2. You don't have to carry an extra piece. 3. You don't have to fiddle with attaching and detaching the light every time you use it. 4. Even tiny lights add weight and changes the balance of the reader.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2015, 03:00 AM   #63
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post

Also an external light really can't compare to an integrated light. With a lighted reader: 1. The light is more even than an external light. 2. You don't have to carry an extra piece. 3. You don't have to fiddle with attaching and detaching the light every time you use it. 4. Even tiny lights add weight and changes the balance of the reader.
5. The lighting quality is vastly better and more adjustable. It makes a big difference to contrast/legibility at all ambient lighting levels except "direct bright sunlight" (and can even improve reading in that, if you prefer very small margins and may have bezel shadow at the edges).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #64
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I started with the 1st Gen nook, moved to the ST, then the ST with Glow and most recently the Kobo Glo HD. My wife went from the ST with Glow to the current nook Glow.

My favorite of the ones listed is the ST with Glow. It has page turn buttons, an external SD card and is a pleasure to use. I did have one issue with the screen when I dropped a usb cable on it and the corner of the plug hit the screen, but B&N replaced it and I haven't had an issue since.

The Kobo is my second choice. It doesn't have the external card, but the 4gb is sufficient for my library, and unlike the current nook, the user has free access to all remaining storage. It is smaller than the ST and pretty comfortable to hold. It has a better screen and sharper text and while I haven't explored it fully, I enjoy reading on it and find it an excellent replacement.

My wife loves her nook Glow. She only gets books from B&N, so the partitioned memory isn't a deal breaker for her. She hasn't had any "light tears" or any other issues.

So far, I find nook book prices cheaper than Kobo, although Kobo seems to be free and easy with coupon codes and sales on ebooks. B&N does not offer discounts on ebooks. At least not that I have noticed.

B&N and Kobo both use epubs, so if you do strip the DRM, you can add the books to either device without converting them - not a big deal in Calibre, but one less thing. I will probably continue purchasing most of my books from B&N, and side-loading them with Calibre to the Kobo

My recommendation is the Kobo Glo HD over the nook Glow. That being said, if nook ever came out with a device that brought back the sd card or at least dumped the memory restrictions, I would probably go back.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #65
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I am also in the process of leaving the Nook behind. The ecosystem and features are just lacking too much. OTOH I will never leave an eInk device to go tablet or phone. eInk devices are so superior to reading on a tablet that it isn't funny.
  1. Battery Life
  2. Screen timeouts are for the reader not the power saving.
  3. Sunlight
  4. Eye strain (a real issue for me)
  5. easy of transport and durability.
  6. the lack of distraction

I have the first gen 3g nook, and nearly every platform since.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2015, 08:12 PM   #66
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've owned 4 Kindle e-ink devices and I still like my nook ST. But I will never buy another nook as I see no future for them, sort of like someone in their death-bed and everyone is waiting for the obituary. Sad too, because it is easy to see what might have been if B&N really had their heart in the device and e-book bookstore. I would choose a Paperwhite all things considered.

Last edited by conan50; 05-06-2015 at 08:14 PM.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #67
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
The Nook Glowlight is nice and I like mine, but the Paperwhite is very nice as well, and it is handy being able to have library books go to it via wifi. If you read a lot of library ebooks it's really worth getting the Paperwhite IMO. The lighted ereaders are all very similar. I know a lot of people have brand loyalty but the differences as far as reading experience goes are pretty slim IMO. Functional things, like being able to have library ebooks go straight from Overdrive via wifi is a much bigger deal to me. If you ever decide to use Kindle Unlimited you can read those on a paperwhite too. I use Scribd as a subscription service, which I really like and the selection is better, but I do wish I could use it on my Paperwhite. Though I like my Kindle Fire too. Despite my username, I use the Paperwhite and the Fire most. My husband uses the Glowlight more than I do at this point.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:21 PM   #68
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

I received my Kindle Paperwhite yesterday. There are a myriad of little details that make the Kindle better. This wasn't always the case but it is now.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #69
LeJon
Enthusiast
LeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blueLeJon can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle
Will there be any upcoming Nook device or have they stop updating it?
LeJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #70
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
All the signs indicate that Nook is slowly going out of business. Their ereader software is a joke and they haven't done anything new in a long time... it would not be wise to bank on that changing.
Of course, miracles may happen.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #71
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJon View Post
Will there be any upcoming Nook device or have they stop updating it?
I think they have their main Nook on sale for father's day right now. I don't pay much attention to their associate emails because their stuff doesn't sell well via my site...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #72
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

I consider it a dead man walking platform.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #73
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I consider it a dead man walking platform.

I agree. I wish Walmart would buy the brand and incorporate the bookstore into their web site. It seems a good fit. Also I would love to see Google Books become serious about their product and provide Amazon some real competition.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I agree. I wish Walmart would buy the brand and incorporate the bookstore into their web site. It seems a good fit. Also I would love to see Google Books become serious about their product and provide Amazon some real competition.
Walmart would not be a good fit for the nook. A good fit would be some company willing to come out with better hardware and better software running on this better hardware.

As for Google, they are real competition to Amazon given that Google price matches most of the time and sometimes even has lower pricing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #75
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for Google, they are real competition to Amazon given that Google price matches most of the time and sometimes even has lower pricing.
They may be "real" competition, but they aren't *good* competition. They aren't promoted enough, and not enough people know/buy from them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote