Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Kindle Paperwhite inferior..

I have had 3 KPW's thus far and they are all bad.. why in the world would Amazon/Kindle release a product like the KPW with such a terrible screen? .. spots, blotches, very bad in the dark.. etc.. Very disappointed here.. I would think with Kindles reputation they would produce something way better than what they just did with the KPW.. what is your UNBIASED opinions? make it honest.. LOL..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 10-31-2012 at 10:28 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You'll find many opinions all over the Kindle forum. I don't know that any of them can be called unbiased because they are based on experience.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You'll find many opinions all over the Kindle forum. I don't know that any of them can be called unbiased because they are based on experience.
I would be happy to pay more for something that was quality.. they blew it in my opinion..
Doug
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
In my honest opinion, my Paperwhite is superior to every other ereader I own. While there certainly are bad units out there, I have a good one. Even with the irrelevant 1 star reviews (no audio, no buttons, no shipping, etc.), it has a 4 star rating on Amazon.

I'm sorry you keep getting Paperwhites you're not happy with. Perhaps you should wait for the next batch and try again - Amazon is more than willing to work with its customers until they are satisfied with their purchases.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Even with the irrelevant 1 star reviews (no audio, no buttons, no shipping, etc.), it has a 4 star rating on Amazon.
I'd rather see an independent rating -- I often get the feeling that the rating system on Amazon is somewhat skewed to favor Amazon.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
I'd rather see an independent rating -- I often get the feeling that the rating system on Amazon is somewhat skewed to favor Amazon.
There are many negative reviews on Amazon for all of its items, including the Paperwhite. The positives heavily outweigh the negatives in this case.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...91&postcount=6

Just to put OP's opening post into perspective : he started with his first e-reader a month ago, and has used two so far. His various posts on the subject go from extatic to horrified, often on the same device, so I don't think, with all due respect, that this thread reflects a huge experience with e-reader on his part, and I am very sure he does not know all the Kindle (or the Nook for that matter) options and possibilities. Which leaves me wondering whether this thread is a naive attempt at discussing the kindle, or a mere provocative one to keep us busy on a bank holiday (at least it is here).

Last edited by aceflor; 11-02-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Did not want to be rude
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Amazon most definitely have some quality control issues with the Paperwhite. And the problem is probably exacerbated by them checking 'bad' units in daylight and seeing nothing wrong with them and sending them back out only for people to get them as replacements and pick up the problems with the screen in poor light.

However, there are plenty of people with 'good' screens - the "are you happy with the screen" poll is currently at 75% for yes, and even if you take out a portion who are happy despite the screen perhaps not being perfect, that's still a lot more happy than unhappy people.

If you aren't happy with the Paperwhite, send it back and get a refund. Buy something else and tell Amazon you are doing so. It's what I would be doing if I had bought one and wasn't happy with it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
The Paperwhite may not be perfect, but if you compare it to the Kobo and Nook, it is still the leading ebook reader in my opinion.

Maybe you would want to wait a year or so until the technology gets better.
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #10
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
I had 3 bad ones and then asked for a refund. My Kindle 4 is far superior screen wise. I think they should fix the problem and put a halt on sales until that is accomplished. As far as ratings the reality is some peoples eyes are less sensitive to the coloration then others. You have the Amazon/Kindle shills ( giving 5 star ratings to defective units) and then many others with no previous Kindle ownership to make comparisons too. I noticed on the reviews how many rant and rave how its the best thing since sliced bread but have only just unboxed the item and have not used it in the dark yet etc, some post they love it no problems and a week later state they have blotches and now are sending the unit back Many many variables in play with that rating system..

Last edited by tmf2; 11-01-2012 at 09:18 AM.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
The Paperwhite may not be perfect, but if you compare it to the Kobo and Nook, it is still the leading ebook reader in my opinion.

I agree it would be best to wait and see what changes are made to the Paperwhite

Last edited by tmf2; 11-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
JoHunt
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
As far as ratings the reality is some peoples eyes are less sensitive to the coloration then others. You have the Amazon/Kindle shills ( giving 5 star ratings to defective units) and then many others with no previous Kindle ownership to make comparisons too. I noticed on the reviews how many rant and rave how its the best thing since sliced bread but have only just unboxed the item and have not used it in the dark yet etc, some post they love it no problems and a week later state they have blotches and now are sending the unit back Many many variables in play with that rating system..
Why would anyone give a 5 star rating to a defective product? What difference does it make if they have no previous Kindle ownership?

It seems to me that some find it hard to believe that we are extremely happy with our Paperwhites and just as happy to rate it 5 stars without any ulterior motive. I understand that there are QC problems with the Paperwhite, but that is no reason to suspect those who have not experienced any screen issues.

Last edited by JoHunt; 11-01-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
tmf2
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Why would anyone give a 5 star rating to a defective product? What difference does it make if they have no previous Kindle ownership?
Pose that question to those that do. Your second inquiry is self explanatory see my post.

[QUOTE=joehunt;It seems to me that some find it hard to believe that we are extremely happy with our Paperwhites and just as happy to rate it 5 stars without any ulterior motive. I understand that there are QC problems with the Paperwhite, but that is no reason to suspect those who have not experienced any screen issues.[/QUOTE]

I'm not suggesting everyone has an ulterior motive but to think nobody does is a little credulous. I'm sure some folks are very happy I get that, great I'm happy for you, like I said in my post many many variables.

Last edited by tmf2; 11-01-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #15
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not everyone thinks that his or her Paperwhite is defective. In particular first-time users may be less inclined to think that something is wrong with their device.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote