Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #46
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Page turn buttons are in the same place they have been on the -600, -650, and -350. And probably all the others of the x50 and x00 generation.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #47
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sony has to compete against the $114/$139 Kindle, $139 Nook, and $129 Kobo. It can't do that charging over $230.
Why? Considering how had it was to find Sony readers for sale most of teh year, Sony is selling as many as they can make. And if youa re selling as many as yuo can make, you do NOT need to compete on price.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #48
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Why? Considering how had it was to find Sony readers for sale most of teh year, Sony is selling as many as they can make. And if youa re selling as many as yuo can make, you do NOT need to compete on price.
What evidence is there that this was ever the case? If Sony couldn't make enough to meet supposed 'demand' than they really need to make changes to the way they manufacturer their readers. You don't see the Kindle out of stock or 'temporarily unavailable' for huge stretches of the financial year. They do need to compete on price.

I only purchased a PRS-350 as it was on special offer at Waterstones. I'd have opted for a Kindle otherwise. I'm glad I got the Sony, but I can see why a high price point would put potential customer's off.

There was talk of Sony directing most of its Readers to the Japanese market, but that is unsubstantiated conjecture. Truth is, we don't know what the rationale or reason was/is behind the lack of Readers available from Sony.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #49
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
K1's and K2's had long periods of times, months, where they were not available. The K3 had a period of time where it was hard to find in Europe.

This move indicates that Sony stands to make more money selling a larger number of readers at a lower price. Which is something that a lot of people on this board and other boards have been shouting for a long time. The occassional outage of Sony readers means that Sony was not good at projecting sales and did not stock enough e-readers. There have also been times where they were sold out because the e-readers went on sale and dropped to more reasonable prices. Kind of like the HP Tablet.

I have a feeling that the change in material and the lack of the others sizes is going to annoy a decent number of Sony's current members since most of the Sony fans I know have touted the metal casing, lack of WiFi, and the 5 and 7 inch screens. But the price drop and addition of WiFi brings the Sony more in line with the Nook and Kobo.

Realisticly, the Sony is still priced to high to compete with the Nook and Kobo. People who read bad reviews regarding the Kobo can look at the Sony and the Nook. Both do the same things, Nook reads books from more stores and costs $25. Why buy the Sony?

I think they are banking on the Harry Potter tie in. While I am sure the Harry Potter e-reader will do well I have a feeling that it is not going to be that big of a deal. Unless they do what Apple did with the U2 IPod, load all the books on the device, then I don't see too many parents going "Sure we will buy you a $140 electronic device that you are only going to use to read books that you already own in paper back not to mention the movies." Frankly, I don't see too many adults who are huge Harry Potter fans buying a themed e-reader just because it is Harry.

There will be a good number but I doubt that number is going to be as large as some folks are thinking. It might be that people who are thinking of an e-reader and are Harry Potter fans will pick up the Sony HP e-reader but I can't see a Harry Potter fan who is normally not interested in an e-reader buying one.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Product shortages do not always imply high demand; it can be due to bad logistics, bad planning, component shortages, earthquakes...

The best test of the general desirability of last year's Sony readers comes from Sony itself: two models cancelled without announced replacement, one redesigned for price reduction.

Also note that the two specialty models that appeal to enthusiasts, the ultra-portable 5" and larger 7" are the cancelled ones, while the T1 is clearly aimed at the price-sensitive mass market, what with its focus on library and free Google books.

So, does Sony need to compete on price?
*They* think so.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #51
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Meh... plastic >_> Sony's gone soft.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #52
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
[QUOTE=ProfCrash;. ....................This move indicates that Sony stands to make more money selling a larger number of readers at a lower price................
I think they are banking on the Harry Potter tie in. ..............
There will be a good number but I doubt that number is going to be as large as some folks are thinking. It might be that people who are thinking of an e-reader and are Harry Potter fans will pick up the Sony HP e-reader but I can't see a Harry Potter fan who is normally not interested in an e-reader buying one.[/QUOTE]

_________

Considering the spec's and alleged price of the T1, I have a feeling that Sony might be regarding the Potter bit as more of an extra sales fillip/marketing move, more of a sideshow than I initially thought, anyway - but obviously being A Good Thing for them.
It looks to me that they are finally taking the ereading business, and the competition, seriously, with the Sony "name" bridging whatever gap there may be between them.
But the price may be their saviour....

But will I get one ? Well, I'm not a device collector, and can't at the moment see any huge advantage - but I'm sure my offspring will........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #53
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
But will I get one? Well, I'm not a device collector, and can't at the moment see any huge advantage
I'm not a device collector either and I see nothing in the T1 that would encourage me to replace either my 505 or 950 (especially the 950) with it. What does it offer that the 950 doesn't offer (plastic casing aside )?

Zooming by pinching is nice but I have yet to read a novel that I require the ability to zoom in and out to enjoy. I suppose one coulds say that compared to the 505/600/650 the T1 is evolutionary and a bit better (assuming that the lack of wifi vs. having wifi is a number 1 problem, which it isn't to me), but evolutionary doesn't strike me as sufficient to cast aside otherwise excellent and working devices.

No, I don't see anything to capture me and my money.

Perhaps the worst part is that because Kobo Touch and Nook Touch have "caught up" to the T1, I would look at the Nook if I needed to replace my 505 or 950 because I prefer to shop at B&N. Previously, I wouldn't have considered a Kobo or Nook because the Sony was light years ahead of either. The T1 is just one of the pack.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #54
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Given that they've dropped the other sizes and went to just 6" (which is what they started with), I take it that they realized that most people prefer the 6" and are just more price conscious. Of the previous two generations, the 5" line sold the most, because it was the cheapest, but when you look at over all ereader sales from all companies the 6" models win out. If size was that big of a deal, Sony would have cleaned house last couple years. According to this IDC study, Sony sold 800,000 readers last year and was still in 5th place overall world wide, behind Hanvon, B&N, Pandigital, and Amazon (listed in ascending order). There was a reason they started with 6" readers, there is a reason the competition is mostly 6" readers. I'm sure that they just didn't randomly make that size without doing consumer and ergonomics studies, even if it wasn't the manufacturers of the devices but rather the display manufacturers.

Knock size out of the mix, and you're left with the difference being price. On all counts, Sony was way more expensive than their competition. MSRP started out at $179 for the 350, and it was the lowest priced Sony, where as it was going up against $139 Kindles, Kobos, and nooks. I mean, why would Sony release a product to the market when their competition already had their products priced at $40 cheaper. It isn't like Sony released the 350 at $179, and Amazon and Kobo uncut them afterwards. Kindle, Kobo, and nook were $139 for months before the Sony x50 line launched.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #55
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Reading the PC World piece it seems like only the first book will be free. So no Sony for me.
I'm guessing the books are going to be $12-15 a piece. If they gave away the whole series in a bundle... boy howdy, that would be a deal.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #56
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
I'm guessing the books are going to be $12-15 a piece. If they gave away the whole series in a bundle... boy howdy, that would be a deal.
It would and I would think about getting a Sony. Nothing wrong with having an EPub reader in the house.

Then again, I love U2 and managed to not buy the U2 IPod which had the new album and a discount on all U2's songs if you purchased it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #57
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It is incredible to witness once more that most people lack basic understanding of finance.
I wrote before that considering how historically high the Japanese Yen is nowadays, it is impossible for Sony to compete on price.
It is a miracle that they manage to sell this new model (which includes 12 dictionaries) at such a price.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #58
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
I am a fan of the 5" reader and am disapointed that Sony will not offer that going forward. The PRS-350 was the best 5" reader out there. It will be a sad day when and if I have to replace my PRS-350.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #59
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
It is a miracle that they manage to sell this new model (which includes 12 dictionaries) at such a price.
I never understood that part. I don't know how much they pay for those dictionaries, but why not simply let people buy the dictionaries they need and make the reader a bit cheaper ? Sony's market was for a good part in Europe, but if these are the same dictionaries as the PRSx50, they're all English orientated. People most of the times will need only 1 or 2 dictionaries, and there's a good chance the one you need is not included if you're not a natural English speaker. That's one of the reason I went for Kindle, which is not perfect in terms of dictionaries either. Dictionary look-up is one of the most evident functionality when you think "eReader" yet one of the worst in term of implementation.

Sorry for the OT...
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #60
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I don't even think its on sale here in Japan yet!

... we just make it

LOL
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote