Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #31
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimetoread View Post
with the line not commented out, I get
Code:
$ telnet 192.168.1.6
Trying 192.168.1.6...
Connected to 192.168.1.6.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
where the connection gets closed immediately. Anyone have any idea? Firmware version is 1.9.14.
Kobo 1.9.14 doesn't mount /dev/pts by default anymore, and telnet needs it. I got it working by adding following to my /etc/init/rcS file (this is the whole addition I have done to the stock rcS file, add 5 first lines...).

Code:
# /dev/pts must be mounted after the tmpfs on /dev/ is mounted
# and after udev is started. /dev/pts is only required if you want
# to use telnet to talk to your Kobo.
mkdir -p /dev/pts
mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts

# If you want syslogd to write system messages to .kobo/syslog on the
# onboard flash partition (handy during debugging) just uncomment
# this line:
#/sbin/syslogd -O /mnt/onboard/.kobo/syslog -b 50 -D 

#
# If you want your own script to be run from the user flash partition at
# every boot, uncomment these lines and put it in .kobo/rc.sh . Its output
# will be written to .kobo/rc.out
#
if [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/rc.sh ]; then 
       sh /mnt/onboard/.kobo/rc.sh >& /mnt/onboard/.kobo/rc.out
fi

# Start inetd to support telnet and ftpd services
# There is **NO** **PASSWORD** on these services.
/usr/sbin/inetd /etc/inetd.conf
I found it out from somewhere via Google, where they talked about telnetd for Kobo wifi. So credit for them.

Edit. The hacking Kobo Touch page seems to also include this information about necessity to mount /dev/pts. But anyway, within these, I got it working

Last edited by GoingDown; 12-05-2011 at 06:41 AM.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #32
notimetoread
notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo touch
GoingDown, thank you for the hint. This could very well be the problem. I won't have the opportunity to test it before next weekend, but I will report back then.
notimetoread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #33
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Is there any hack for removing the ads?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #34
r.bares
r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.r.bares once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
sounds a bit too much like theft, certainly breach of any license agreement you accepted
r.bares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #35
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
The ads are what made the device cost less than the one without ads.
I don't own one but aren't the ads only there when the device is sleeping or powered off?

In that event the quickest way to "remove" the ads is to close the cover or flip it so the back is showing during those occasions.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #36
notimetoread
notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.notimetoread is no ebook tyro.

@GoingDown
thank you so much, I now got it working
I had already put the 2 lines in rcS2, but somehow they weren't executed. They are in rcS now and it works perfectly.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #37
notimetoread

Quote:
can't you just install the standard firmware? As long as you don't sync with the desktop application, you should be fine.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #38
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
can't you just install the standard firmware? As long as you don't sync with the desktop application, you should be fine.
I do not believe this is true. Do you have inside knowledge, a source you can point to?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #39
notimetoread

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I do not believe this is true. Do you have inside knowledge, a source you can point to?
no, I haven't tried it, I only guessed.
I was able to install the normal firmware on my fnac branded french kobo touch without any problems, so I assumed this would be possible for differently branded kobo touches as well.

Why should it not work?
Old 12-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #40
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The ad display is not in the reading firmware. the reading firmware is designed to be replaced based on locale.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #41
notimetoread

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The ad display is not in the reading firmware. the reading firmware is designed to be replaced based on locale.
sounds interesting. I'd love to have one of those ad kobos to play with it. Unfortunately I have no idea where to get one.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #42
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
no, I haven't tried it, I only guessed.
I was able to install the normal firmware on my fnac branded french kobo touch without any problems, so I assumed this would be possible for differently branded kobo touches as well.

Why should it not work?

It migh work if you the kobo you buy still has an old firware version. You can update up to .12. However, the new Kobo firmware (.14) disables the kobo until you sync with the desktop app.

Do you have a link to where the Fnac firmware can be downloaded? If they have their own custom firmware, I would be interested in testing it on my KT, (even if it is in French)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #43
notimetoread

I don't know where to download the fnac firmware. My girlfriend installed it once by syncing using the desktop application.
I have since replaced it by the standard .14 firmware. It is possible to use the kobo without syncing by adding a database entry (I don't remember exactly which one, but I found it in some other thread here in the forum).
Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #44
BWinmill
Nameless Being

On bypassing the registration/setup in 1.9.14:

It looks like the Kobo looks for two records in the user table of the SQLite database (one for you and one for their preview books). The actual data in those records can be complete and utter nonsense.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #45
Bilestoad
Bilestoad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
dictionary hack?

Is there a way to hack the Kobo Touch so that I can change the crappy default dictionary to the Oxford?
Bilestoad is offline   Reply With Quote