Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Joshua Shapiro
Joshua Shapiro began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to place the book cover on the title page?

Dear friends

maybe this is just a challenge with Adobe Editions, but when I view my ePub book in Adobe Editions, after place our cover (the jpg) on the first page of our e-book and using Atlantis to convert our word file to an ePub

the cover will not show up on the first page - it shows the first page as blank and a continuation of the first page (as the second page) with the cover

I saw in a free ePub book it had a special style for the title page - which is essentially what we are trying to do - and I tried to copy the code from that
e-book in Sigil but still could not get it to work

so is there a way to ensure our cover will show up as the title page or first page of our epub book?

thanks

Joshua
Joshua Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I always create my cover in Sigil. It is easier and I can control it more. I add an image and set the metadata to 'cover'. I also have a XHTML file which I call 'cover.xhtml', but the name is not really important. In this file I display the image. In the wiki and the CSS/HTML tips in the forum is a good example code which uses an svg container.
The metadata for this XHTML file is also set to cover. Make sure it is the first file in the filelist.

After this the cover will be displayed. Make sure the image is not to small.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Here's the way in ePub Maker.
1 Do not include any cover or cover image in Word manuscript.
2 After import, click Cover tab and load the cover image.
3 ePub Maker will automatically generate a cover page for ADE,
also arrange this image as cover for iPad.

You can reference any example on http://epingsoft.com/epub/examples.asp
or click "Open Example" in ePub Maker.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:18 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I wish I could help you, Joshua, but my way of doing ePub is totally different from your way, so I can't offer any sensible advice.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote