Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #136
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
calibre fix for missing covers

Version 7.47 of calibre fixes the missing covers on the NOOKcolor.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...880882#U880882

Haven't tried it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #137
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Version 7.47 of calibre fixes the missing covers on the NOOKcolor.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...880882#U880882

Haven't tried it.
Thanks Scion. I will have to try it out when I get a chance.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #138
dmunsil
dmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with othersdmunsil plays well with others

Device: Kindle; Nook Color
Calibre 7.47 seems to work, however it can take some time for the covers to show up. There must be some kind of background process that refreshes the covers, so if the cover doesn't show up instantly, don't despair.

I also discovered that the NC can get into an odd state where a book doesn't show up in the library if you move it from one directory to another on the SD card. To fix this, you have to power off the NC and power it back on again. Killing the library process doesn't seem to fix it.

So if you're using the latest Calibre, and have sent a book with a cover to the NC but the cover isn't showing in the library, try rebooting the device, going into the Nook's Library screen, then waiting an hour or so and then checking again. That worked for me. I was reading a book on the device during that hour, so it was running continuously; I have no idea if that's important or not.

Don
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #139
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

I have only tried the Calibre update on a couple books but it didn't work for me. 75% of my covers that don't show up are B&N books that I have edited the meta data so the series title shows up first. These are the covers I am having problems with.

Edit to add: I also have problems with epubs bought at Kobo and some random sideloaded epubs. So far I haven't been able to fix any of my covers with the updated Calibre. There is another update, I am going to try that.

Last edited by Care; 03-16-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM   #140
DanaLee
DanaLee began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks for the help, I was able to add the covers to my books with calibre using the method mentioned here, but is there a way to do the same thing with magazines? I am able to view the files under the magazine tab on my NC but their covers are not showing, I did not download them from B&N I uploaded them to the micro sd card. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
DanaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #141
lawlevin
lawlevin began at the beginning.

For me it seems like no big deal that sideloaded books won't show on the home screen. I have what I consider a good looking wallpaper and I wouldn't want to clutter it up. As long as I have the book I am currently reading up on top... it is good. I have my other books pretty well organized on shelves so I can get to them quickly if I need to.
lawlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #142
lawlevin
lawlevin began at the beginning.

I have the same problem with magazine covers not showing up. All of my books do and I did download a magazine from B&N which shows up fine. Not so with the sideloaded magazines. I'll play with it this weekend and see what happens.
lawlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #143
SaffronPlatypus
SaffronPlatypus began at the beginning.

You guys are making this too hard.

Simple stuff:

To make cover art appear:
In Calibre,
Right-click - "Convert" -> convert to the same format.

It takes seconds (no real conversion/change being made), and Calibre fixes any discrepancies in the xml between the tags it uses, and places like Project Gutenberg use (which are not compatible).

To make books appear in other places:

Open Nook folder, take book folders out of "my files/books", and put them in the B&N books folder. Also, you can use the top menu in the Nook Color's library section to simply make a new bookshelf.

I tried a bunch of stuff in this forum, but man, it's way faster to just quickly re-code it. Seriously, it takes less time than opening the epub file, unless maybe you have a 60MB file or something.

Good luck.
SaffronPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #144
shadow16
shadow16 began at the beginning.

Can't convert pdf to pdf though

Converting to same format doesn't work with pdf to pdf. I have found that it works with epub to epub and I now have all my covers for epub files. But for magazines (sideloaded) and pdf files, still no covers. I am trying to figure out how to ammend meta.opf files as mentioned earlier in this thread to see if that would allow covers to show up.

I know that its not that big of deal, as I can read all of the pdf files, but now it's a challenge to get these covers to show up and its driving me nuts.

Maybe this will help tweak some neurons, at least.
shadow16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #145
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronPlatypus View Post
Simple stuff:

To make cover art appear:
In Calibre,
Right-click - "Convert" -> convert to the same format.

It takes seconds (no real conversion/change being made), and Calibre fixes any discrepancies in the xml between the tags it uses, and places like Project Gutenberg use (which are not compatible).

To make books appear in other places:

Open Nook folder, take book folders out of "my files/books", and put them in the B&N books folder. Also, you can use the top menu in the Nook Color's library section to simply make a new bookshelf.

I tried a bunch of stuff in this forum, but man, it's way faster to just quickly re-code it. Seriously, it takes less time than opening the epub file, unless maybe you have a 60MB file or something.

Good luck.
Not sure what you're referring to. When the NOOKcolor was released it did not reliably recognize calibre covers when using your method and others. If things have changed with newer versions of calibre, that's great news for all. It doesn't invalidate what is in this thread which was current info at the time posted.

Are you saying you purchased your device shortly after it was released (November/December) and had success with earlier versions of calibre from day one?

Last edited by SCION; 03-20-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #146
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronPlatypus View Post
Simple stuff:

Good luck.
The trouble with doing this for all books is... if the book has not be created in calibre in the first place you MAY stuff up some of the formatting. I have seen people ending up with two covers and even no TOC. Harper Collins latest books you can end up with these type of problems.

Unless there is a way you know, for calibre to do a convert without re-writing the CSS file, that would help fix many problems?...

Last edited by iandix; 03-20-2011 at 09:01 PM.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #147
Care
Aes Sedai

I still have a few non drm side loaded books that just won't show the covers, but it's better than it was. What really bugs me is that I can't edit the meta data on B&N books and have the cover show up. Also, I still can't get Kobo books covers to show up either just by loading it to my NC or by changing the cover and re-adding it.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #148
SaffronPlatypus
SaffronPlatypus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Not sure what you're referring to. When the NOOKcolor was released it did not reliably recognize calibre covers when using your method and others. If things have changed with newer versions of calibre, that's great news for all. It doesn't invalidate what is in this thread which was current info at the time posted.

Are you saying you purchased your device shortly after it was released (November/December) and had success with earlier versions of calibre from day one?
I'm using the latest software, both on the Nook Color and Calibre. Since they are both free and fast to download, I'm not sure why the old versions would be an issue now. This technique may not have worked on earlier versions, but the point is that the problem is not fixed by the update alone, and so my method of re-"converting" is a fix to the immediate situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
The trouble with doing this for all books is... if the book has not be created in calibre in the first place you MAY stuff up some of the formatting. I have seen people ending up with two covers and even no TOC. Harper Collins latest books you can end up with these type of problems.

Unless there is a way you know, for calibre to do a convert without re-writing the CSS file, that would help fix many problems?...

I didn't create most of the books in calibre; a number of them were from Project Gutenberg. Those which I did create in Calibre worked the same.

If there's a problem with 2 covers, open the epub, delete the placeholder that Calibre inserts, and put in whichever you like. However, I did not do that for 2 of the books, and they still worked, even though I noticed the original Calibre placeholder cover.jpeg was still inside.

If you want to save CSS (there shouldn't be a reason you need to unless you did something custom that's not compatible with Calibre), then just open the document, copy out the CSS file, re-convert as described, and the re-open the file and replace the CSS file. That sounds like a lot of work again.

If you haven't tried the method I described, just backup your book to another location, and give it a shot.

Last edited by SaffronPlatypus; 03-21-2011 at 05:38 AM.
SaffronPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #149
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
myself ...I have no problem with using calibre.. to fix the covers I just open tweak epub option and edit the opf file or replace the image.. I was just responding to the comment, where it was said .." just convert all your books with calibre" and I was pointing out that is not a great answer for everyone..

Calibre is a great tool, but just running the "convert" epub to epub as an answer to the cover issue can create problems for SOME (please note I said some not all) purchased books..

I find just editing the odf file very easy and does not create any problem elsewhere in the book you might miss in a casual glance.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #150
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
myself ...I have no problem with using calibre.. to fix the covers I just open tweak epub option and edit the opf file or replace the image.. I was just responding to the comment, where it was said .." just convert all your books with calibre" and I was pointing out that is not a great answer for everyone..

Calibre is a great tool, but just running the "convert" epub to epub as an answer to the cover issue can create problems for SOME (please note I said some not all) purchased books..

I find just editing the odf file very easy and does not create any problem elsewhere in the book you might miss in a casual glance.
I do the same with no problems. I try not to do the epub to epub thing.