Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
For some reason, I see the eDGe's sharper. Could be my eyes, though. My main issue is that I am stuck with whatever I see on the DX. With the eDGe, I can zoom in. I really would love to use the DX but the poor PDF support is a big issue for me. 99% of the documents I read are in PDF.
you can read in landscape which zooms in and crops the white space - I am sure amazon will be expanding the pdf features in the near future also - I am sorta wary of being orphaned by the company that makes edge if they do not do well - Amazon is not going anywhere soon
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
It's a much higher probability with Entourage Systems than with Amazon, I agree.

In my opinion, the PDF functionality of the DX is just not good enough for what I need. Hopefully, they will improve the functionality with software updates.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #18
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

Device: prs-500
Any comments on the 8 shades of gray that the edge's eink screen has versus the 16 shades of gray that the kindle dx has? I just noticed this discrepancy and wanted to see if it was a deal breaker...

Thanks
cacapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #19
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacapee View Post
Any comments on the 8 shades of gray that the edge's eink screen has versus the 16 shades of gray that the kindle dx has? I just noticed this discrepancy and wanted to see if it was a deal breaker...

Thanks
cacapee,

I have compared my Kindle 2's screen with the eDGe's and have not seen any discernible difference. In fairness, I will say that I didn't perceive the low contrast that many Kindle owners reported on Amazon's forums last spring, so maybe I'm just not able to distinguish differences subtly enough. I do, though, notice some increase in sharpness since the latest Kindle firmware update. So for me it's at worst a wash, and if more shades are "better" maybe the eDGe provides more bang for the buck in that regard.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #20
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
What's the contrast like on the e-ink screen?

I've got a PRS 600 and the contrast annoys the hell out of me. So much so I'm looking at getting a new reader.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:07 AM   #21
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post
What's the contrast like on the e-ink screen?

I've got a PRS 600 and the contrast annoys the hell out of me. So much so I'm looking at getting a new reader.
Purge,

Seems fine to me, no problems with clarity of type, ghosting, etc.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #22
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
how about the annotation capabilities

Hi

What is you experience with the annotations and journal app? Are they responsive enough for writing math/engineering derivations?

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Guys, here are some pictures of the Entourage eDGe displaying the Kepler Extrasolar Planet Finder Instrument Handbook. This is the perfect example of a technical PDF. The same type of PDF that engineers and scientists read. The eDGe does a wonderful job displaying technical PDFs. It really looks no different than reading it on computer using a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader.

The overexposure in the pictures is the result of the light sources around. It actually looks excellent and very sharp.

Last edited by fgruber; 03-07-2010 at 12:57 PM.
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Sorry, bad internet connection. Duplicate post. See next post.

Last edited by sarah11918; 03-07-2010 at 05:46 PM.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #24
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

The journal app is almost on par with the Journal experience on a Tablet PC. As a journal-warrior on Tablet PCs (tutored math, so a lot of equations and solutions), I'm pretty impressed.

The speed is definitely quick enough to keep up, and even when it lags behind, the lag is only in the display. It does catch everything you write. As mentioned in the laptop magazine review, it's slower if you put the "smooth my handwriting out" tool on while you write. Best bet is to write for a bit, then hit the smooth button. Also, there are different page backgrounds: blank, graph, lined etc. I find that with a blank background, there's next to no lag and the writing is sharp, even before smoothing. With any other kind of visible background, it's marginally less good, but still absolutely fine.

Less than a tablet PC in that it can't do colours (only shades of gray) and no handwriting recognition, but quite comparable in most other aspects. The journal was one of the main reasons I bought the eDGe, and I'm very pleased.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #25
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
thanks. That sounds good.

It would be fantastic if they decide to add handwriting recognition and voice/annotation sync like in onenote...
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #26
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
As far as contrast is concerned, I must say that I am VERY pleased with the eDGe.

I currently have the eDGe about 2 feet to my right opened up flat. The lcd is off and I have a copy of Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead on the eInk side. Now it may be me but I have often found myself in shock at how "Paper" like the eDGe displays the eInk. I have the font at a Medium setting and it is quite comfortable to just glance to my right and simply read.

Now I am at work so normally I would have a programming related PDF open for reference but I must say that even with this epub open, I never had this kind of visual experience with any of the Kindles that I have owned.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #27
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulckennedy View Post
I currently have the eDGe about 2 feet to my right opened up flat. The lcd is off and I have a copy of Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead on the eInk side. Now it may be me but I have often found myself in shock at how "Paper" like the eDGe displays the eInk. I have the font at a Medium setting and it is quite comfortable to just glance to my right and simply read.
Hubby had the same reaction. The viewing angles are amazing. The LCD side, not so much, but the eInk side, yes.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #28
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
I got to see this, as my gf could probably use a viewer like this. She is a PHD student and has shown an interest in readers.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #29
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
The more I use it, the more impressed I become. The eDGe is definitely the best e-reader I have used so far. The eInk display is excellent, viewing angles are great, very sharp and readable. All my scientific and technical papers are displayed great by the eDGe. The only thing that bothers me about it is that it feels heavy after holding it for a while. I have to put it down on a table or support it on something, very much like a thick text book.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #30
X. Trapnel
Enthusiast
X. Trapnel began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad (broken screen! cry), x61t tablet
Tiny question: when you zoom (eg to crop away whitespace/margins), does it know to preserve that zoom for the rest of the PDF's pages? Does it save the zoom for the next time you open the file?
Thanks to everyone for posting this stuff!
X. Trapnel is offline   Reply With Quote