Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #451
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Manage My Kindle only shows content you purchased from Amazon. If you are emailing books or content from elsewhere, you will only see it on your Kindle, never on Amazon's site.
Ah too bad. OK I'll give you a buzz when I need testing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #452
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Ah too bad. OK I'll give you a buzz when I need testing.
Can you use the email@free.kindle.com option? Where it emails the converted file back to you rather than sending it to your kindle?
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 AM   #453
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically, I need to test delivery to the Kindle, I can always test emailling with my own mail account.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #454
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Basically, I need to test delivery to the Kindle, I can always test emailling with my own mail account.
Well, if it sends proper email with the file properly attached to your email, I am pretty sure it will work with the Kindle.

I am happy to help test this if needed. I have no fear of whispernet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #455
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I am happy to help test this if needed. I have no fear of whispernet.
Same here.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #456
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That will work fine for testing.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #457
bwaldron
Wizard

Quote:
Manage My Kindle only shows content you purchased from Amazon. If you are emailing books or content from elsewhere, you will only see it on your Kindle, never on Amazon's site.
Daffy is correct. You would see a "delivery status" of pending for any documents sent to your Kindle (and the status would stay that way indefinitely if your whispernet was never turned on) -- but there is no way to download the emailed files as one can books purchased from Amazon.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #458
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK it's a while since I played with SMTP so I'll have to dust off some old corners of my brain, but since this would be a cool feature for example, fo blackberry users as well, iI think I'll move it back up my TODO list
Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #459
mememe
mememe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Angry Kindle Owner

I was really excited earlier this year when I discovered that I could read library books on the Kindle. The kindlefix.py code converts the prc format to azw and preserves the digital content rights. In other words, my library book expires on my kindle, as it would on a mobi-pocket reader.

It's sad that Amazon would be against this feature, which expands the usefulness of this device. I thought Amazon is all about customer service...and doing what's best in the interest of the customers. This action does not jive with its stated mission.
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #460
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe View Post
I was really excited earlier this year when I discovered that I could read library books on the Kindle. The kindlefix.py code converts the prc format to azw and preserves the digital content rights. In other words, my library book expires on my kindle, as it would on a mobi-pocket reader.

It's sad that Amazon would be against this feature, which expands the usefulness of this device. I thought Amazon is all about customer service...and doing what's best in the interest of the customers. This action does not jive with its stated mission.
Welcome to the forum, mememe.
It could be worth telling Amazon about your dissatisfaction.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #461
sarajaner
sarajaner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
Is it now no longer possible to strip the DRM to be able to read library books on a Kindle? I really don't even know what stripping the DRM means , but I understand it's what I nd to do to be able to read ebooks from my library on my Kindle. I just got my Kindle for Xmas and I'd really love to be able to read Ebooks from the library. Could anyone help me with this?
Thanks!
sarajaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #462
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajaner View Post
Is it now no longer possible to strip the DRM to be able to read library books on a Kindle? I really don't even know what stripping the DRM means , but I understand it's what I nd to do to be able to read ebooks from my library on my Kindle. I just got my Kindle for Xmas and I'd really love to be able to read Ebooks from the library. Could anyone help me with this?
Thanks!
No, you do not have to strip DRM to read library books on your Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #463
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
No, you do not have to strip DRM to read library books on your Kindle.
Wait, what?
I thought most library ebooks were Overdrive PDF or ePub, and needed to have the DRM removed to be converted to a form the Kindle can read?

Or that they're Mobi, and the way to read them on a Kindle required at least the Kindlepid script?

Are there library ebooks that work directly with the Kindle?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #464
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Wait, what?
I thought most library ebooks were Overdrive PDF or ePub, and needed to have the DRM removed to be converted to a form the Kindle can read?

Or that they're Mobi, and the way to read them on a Kindle required at least the Kindlepid script?

Are there library ebooks that work directly with the Kindle?
Mobi books from the Overdrive Servers will accept a Kindle PID. They have to be fixed to work with the Kindle but that fixing does not remove DRM. I can't explain more because Amazon doesn't want that knowledge shared.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #465
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Mobi books from the Overdrive Servers will accept a Kindle PID. They have to be fixed to work with the Kindle but that fixing does not remove DRM. I can't explain more because Amazon doesn't want that knowledge shared.
But the one of the tools used to DRM shift allows us to get information that can be used with a different program to strip the DRM. This is why (I think this is why) Amazon is using the DMCA to prevent format shifting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote