Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am using Calibre as my library software with the 1150. I am still creating IMP's "offline" but that doesn't bother me especialy since if the original is a PDF it will take multiple steps to make it readable anyway.

The Save to disk option in Calibre works. I am lucky I have a card reader that supports the smartmedia format though. As a backup (or if too lazy to crawl on the floor to the card reader) I use impserve.

I haven't tried pointing impserve at the calibre directory yet to see if it will handle the multiple directories and formats though. Hrmmm... Nick?
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am using Calibre as my library software with the 1150. I am still creating IMP's "offline" but that doesn't bother me especialy since if the original is a PDF it will take multiple steps to make it readable anyway.

The Save to disk option in Calibre works. I am lucky I have a card reader that supports the smartmedia format though. As a backup (or if too lazy to crawl on the floor to the card reader) I use impserve.

I haven't tried pointing impserve at the calibre directory yet to see if it will handle the multiple directories and formats though. Hrmmm... Nick?
Just make the calibre directory a subdirectory of your Impserve bookshelf. Or better still make the Impserve bookshelf your calibre directory. Impserve will locate ALL .imp ebooks within the directory structure (including any subdirectories). It would be nice if calibre allowed the Impserve proxy server to communicate with it's own internal proxy server....

Since my .imp Perl scripts and Mobi2IMP or Impbuild by ashkulz require the eBook Publisher software by ETI, these could be used to create .imp from .html/.opf/.prc/.mobi for Windows users.

For .imp conversions to work under Linux, calibre would have to work with a Perl/wine installation of the ETI software and would require the copying of the necessary .pm libs, manually. A bit of a kludge, but could be made to work, as I did it here. I think ashkulz had the best insights as how to best make the integration work with calibre under linux. Hrmmm... Ashish?

I don't know if you could use the linux setup in Mac OS X using wine or make the ETI software work with Mac OS X natively using apple scripts. Hrmmm... Shawn?

In summary, any .imp creation can only be faciliated with an installation of the eBook Publisher by ETI and so perhaps a two step processs would be best as previously used by ashkulz in PDFRead. PDFRead created the necessary .opf/.html/.jpgs files under any python installation, but required the .imp creation to take place under a system (Windows) which would support the ETI software.

The .imp related software is all here, and open-source, so eventually there could be solution...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Nick: That works great. I don't know why I didn't think to try that.

As for the ETI software, on the mac if you dont' want to use the mac versions yes follow the linux setup and run them under Wine. (I used CXOffice but that's the same thing).

I am now a windows user again so am stuck back in the world of Mickeysoft for now.
Scary enough as a Mac user Vista is very usable. <Shrug>

I'm slowly adding IMP versions of my 500 book calibre library (Thankfully most are in my old Impserve structure, just not orginized correctly (at all) so I'm almost back to normal!

Favorite part of the Ebookwise for me? The way the books are orginized on the device. Soooo much better then teh Sony.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
The .imp related software is all here, and open-source, so eventually there could be solution...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
As for the ETI software, on the mac if you dont' want to use the mac versions yes follow the linux setup and run them under Wine. (I used CXOffice but that's the same thing).

I am now a windows user again so am stuck back in the world of Mickeysoft for now.
Scary enough as a Mac user Vista is very usable. <Shrug>
Looks like maybe it can be an all Canadian (Torontonian) solution....
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?

Laugh. Just so everyone knows:

1) Install Impserve and Nick's plugins.
2) Point impserve at your Calibre book directory
3) When you add books to calibre (Go into "E"dit details and add the IMP format as well)

In Calibre I store both RTF and IMP (And if it was there before epub). By saving the format I converted from in Calibre as well I am "future proofing" my library if in the future the EBW drops dead and I have to purchase something else.

As I launch impserve on startup whenever I need to add a new book to the device I plug it in click the online bookshelf and voila all the imp's stored in my calibre lib show up, this is much easier then messing with the Smart media card as I need to crawl under my desk for that.

The benifit of doing things this way (IMO) is you can use Calibre to store multiple formats and it's tagging / rating system so you can keep track of what you have read. I also on occassion use the Comments box in calibre for notes about the book as well as teh summery from ibndb.

This is under Vista. On my iBook I have calibre installed and because my library / database is stored on Dropbox I can access everything from the mac side as well. Everything works the same on the mac side of things for me with the exception of some conversion tools, but as I mentioned above I am mainly converting files "Offline".