Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #61
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Pick up a Zune on eBay.
Always wanted Peter Saville's Joy Division Limited Edition Zune myself. Such a bleakly minimal creation for a mainstream company.

Still, fidelity-wise, I might prefer iRiver's Astell & Kern AK100 or HiFiMan's HM-602.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-04-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #62
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Oddly enough:

(From the Car and Driver review:http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-ride-reviews)
I'd hate to have a car where most of the buttons are touch screen based. As it is now you can be driving along and still adjust the heat, radio, rear window heater, all without taking your eyes off the road. The only time I don't mind touch screen is when the options you're selecting would necessitate looking at the screen anyway.

I have the same issue with the iphone compared to my mp3 player. I can change the volume and skip to the next track all without looking at the device, which I can't do with the iphone. Granted I don't change tracks whilst driving, already have a playlist sorted to avoid that, but when I'm listening to music in bed or out running, the device with physical buttons is much more convenient to use.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #63
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
The Times prints clear-cut corrections almost every day. In this case, their position is that no correction was warranted. It's true that the public editor, who speaks for herself, printed a mildly critical column.

As for calling the Times writer a liar, here is another POV:

http://techland.time.com/2013/02/26/...#ixzz2VCaSHVP7
A balanced reviewer would have noted that they spent time driving around looking for the hookup and used up more battery in the process. A good reviewer may have taken the time to point out how hard it is to find the charge points in the dark and maybe that should addressed. A headline grabbing reviewer will omit those points.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #64
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sansa Clip Zip
Jupp. Cheaper and better.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #65
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
That's slightly disingenuous. While there may be no trojans actively spreading at this time, that doesn't mean the Mac is immune. It has been attacked in the past and will be again. So, Mac owners should run AV software.
Which is why I spoke of viruses, and not other malware. Other malware can be kept away if you just stay away from dodgy sites, and think twice each time your Mac asks you for an admin password. It is really easy, and the latter is sufficient to keep the few malwares away that exist.

Running anti-virus software is a waste of time and resources at the moment, unless you run a business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I guess the iMaps team didn't get the memo. And a fair bunch of the bundled apps are of an inferior quality to 3rd party ones - I have seen it here multiple times about people putting the bundled apps in a "crap" folder to never be seen again.
I don't really get your Apple-hate attitude in all the technology threads? I get you hate them, but it seems like a waste of time trying to pick on them at any opportunity.
Selecting out one single application among hundreds is just nitpicking. And while I certainly agree the mapping metadata in Maps was awful, at least Apple get out there and acknowledged the problem.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #66
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I'm always laughing if I see guys using an Ipad nano. Just because it is from apple and it's the cheapest one. In spite of other players with more functionality and same or better quality, it's an apple so it's better
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #67
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
I'm always laughing if I see guys using an Ipad nano. Just because it is from apple and it's the cheapest one. In spite of other players with more functionality and same or better quality, it's an apple so it's better
If you're tied to (and like) the iTunes system, then the "players with more functionality and same or better quality" probably is less important.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #68
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I don't really get your Apple-hate attitude in all the technology threads? I get you hate them, but it seems like a waste of time trying to pick on them at any opportunity.
Selecting out one single application among hundreds is just nitpicking. And while I certainly agree the mapping metadata in Maps was awful, at least Apple get out there and acknowledged the problem.
No hate, just reality check. Just as you think that apple apps should be put on a pedestal as the hallmark of all greatness, I think there are some that suck big time. And the UI leaves a lot to be desired (a tape recorder for the podcast app? When did you last see a tape recorder, the 80s?)

They only acknowledged the problem after the backlash they got. Remind me how they acknowledged the antenna problem? Yes, "you're holding it wrong". They eventually got to pay some compensation money for the fiasco, but it was years after the fact. Acknowledging problems has never been an apple thing, it's always the consumer who doesn't understand or doesn't know how to use the product, because the product is just perfect, right? Although with Cook they seem to be a tad more down to Earth, there's still a long way to go.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #69
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
afv011..... you just do not get it... Apple never makes mistakes. Their products are simple, always work, NEVER get viruses, ARE ALWAYS the coolest and most cutting edge....man you have a lot to learn...
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #70
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The idea that a piece of consumer tech "just works" has always annoyed me. Apple's motto invites a level of uncritical thought which becomes suicidal if anything goes wrong or the user has specific ideas about limiting/expanding the parameters of usage.

In the most practical sense, nothing "just works" unless the features have been stripped down to Boolean, in which case you're essentially extolling the virtues of a doorknob.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-07-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #71
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
If the people you are seeing are runners/joggers, it is probably because the nano can sync with the Nike+ foot sensors (or, with the latest nano, have one built-in), and can connect to gym machines that support Nike+.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #72
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If the people you are seeing are runners/joggers, it is probably because the nano can sync with the Nike+ foot sensors (or, with the latest nano, have one built-in), and can connect to gym machines that support Nike+.
So it's a question of applications in the classic sense: The activities for which those particular iterations of Nano™ were designed.

Edit: On the nether hind, does anyone remember this?

"Please Don't Take My Air Jordans" (original version by Reg E. Gaines, 1994 -- pity there are no online vids of the author reading it)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-07-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #73
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
afv011..... you just do not get it... Apple never makes mistakes. Their products are simple, always work, NEVER get viruses, ARE ALWAYS the coolest and most cutting edge....man you have a lot to learn...
what the church told Copernicus.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #75
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
Which was??? I think you might mean Galileo... but if the church did tell Copernicus then I'd be interested in what they said...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote