Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
new calibre help file

I've updated my calibre help file - it's still at the same url. I've added a topic on creating a wish list, and two topics on how to edit content (using Mobi Unpack) and .css files in exploded ebooks. I know there are ways to do these edits through calibre - I'm just not sure how to do it.

(I'm also using a new help generating software, Madcap Flare, so it'll look a bit different. I like the way Flare handles searches better than the old system.)

As I learn more about using calibre, I intend to continue to update the help file, so it will continue to be useful to people.

I really appreciate all the help people on these forums give me, and their patience with me as I learn.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I've updated my calibre help file - it's still at the same url.
I like the Madcap Flare output better too.

There's an outdated link on the "About this Help File" page. Please either delete the "Methods and Examples for New calibre Users" bullet/link or change the title and url in that bullet to the new thread and version: How I Manage eBooks with calibre. Thanks.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
I've updated my calibre help file - it's still at the same url. I've added a topic on creating a wish list, and two topics on how to edit content (using Mobi Unpack) and .css files in exploded ebooks. I know there are ways to do these edits through calibre - I'm just not sure how to do it.
Have a look at calibre's Tweak book command, (it should be on the right-click menu for a book and can be added to the main toolbar).

This explodes a book for editing, (content and/or style), and allows changes to be previewed. The book can then be rebuilt, if you're happy with the changes, or you can cancel to leave the book unchanged.

You may need to check which book formats are supported. I only use ePub.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
You may need to check which book formats are supported. I only use ePub.
Mobi and ePub are both supported by the tweak book feature.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Mobi and ePub are both supported by the tweak book feature.
To be precise KF8 MOBI is supported, not the older MOBI 6 files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all. I'm clearly going to have to play with the Tweak Books feature so I can document it. I'll get the new version with the updated link (thanks, Unboggling) today and try to have Tweak Books documented sometime fairly soon.

ETA: Oh, wow, I really like Tweak Books - it's so much easier than using Mobi Unpack - as long as you have epub or KF8 - but it's really easy to convert to epub if you don't have it.

Last edited by BeccaPrice; 08-02-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: new comment
Old 08-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll get the new version with the updated link (thanks, Unboggling) today and try to have Tweak Books documented sometime fairly soon.
Thanks for changing the link. Your work on the help file in June inspired me to make that revision.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Glad the help file is being of some use - I sometimes wonder whether anyone looks at it.

I really like your topic - lots of good advice there. I just jumped into doing things in calibre (as I usually do) and am now stuck with some early decisions that I might make differently now.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Glad the help file is being of some use - I sometimes wonder whether anyone looks at it.
I know exactly what you mean. I learned some new things reading it. For example, I had no idea the Mobi Unpack plugin existed, or how useful the Reading List plugin can be.

Quote:
… I just jumped into doing things in calibre (as I usually do) and am now stuck with some early decisions that I might make differently now.
Yes, me too. Currently I fix earlier mistakes or poor choices, when I discover them — if I know how to fix them, if that's not too time consuming. Otherwise I don't worry about it anymore. Last year I got rid of many serious early mistakes when I was eight months new to working with ebooks and using calibre, employing a simple but drastic method: I deleted all ebooks and started over at a higher knowledge/skill plateau, with better sources and higher standards for quality of format and content. No books, no serious and time-consuming problems to retro-fix. But at this point I wouldn't do that again.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
BP - I have your help file bookmarked

Any chance of an making it RSS capable that would tell me where there's a new version

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard

boy, I don't know how to make it RSS capable. It exists as a collection of HTML files and helper-files, currently on the student server at my school. I'll write Madcap and see if there's a way to add an RSS feed to it. The other thing is I'm thinking of starting a blog, and announcing updates on the blog, and I could probably make that kind of announcement in an RSS feed.

As soon as I document Tweak Books (probably tomorrow) there will be an update, maybe by Monday, with that, and some topics on the Save To Disk stuff I've just learned about through conversations here.

(If anybody has suggestions for things to be added, let me know.)
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@BP - Most of the blog services come with RSS capability as part of the furniture.

A link to your blog could be put here somewhere - in one of the Sticky's at the top of this section - like the New to Calibre one.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Yeah, one of these days i'll get around to doing the blog - my adventures with technology or something like that. I love technology, I just don't understand it very well - which is how I got started documenting things, i suppose.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks all. I'm clearly going to have to play with the Tweak Books feature so I can document it. I'll get the new version with the updated link (thanks, Unboggling) today and try to have Tweak Books documented sometime fairly soon.

ETA: Oh, wow, I really like Tweak Books - it's so much easier than using Mobi Unpack - as long as you have epub or KF8 - but it's really easy to convert to epub if you don't have it.
Mobi_Unpack will do most of the work for you in taking the KF8 files and building an ePub without the need to convert. It's not a perfect ePub, but from there it is very easy to fix it up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
BeccaPrice
Wizard

JSWolf, would you look at the help fie, in the section Other Fun Stuff>Modify Contents and let me know whether I'm making he procedure more complex than it needs to be? Is there a simpler way to use Mobi_Unpack?