Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #31
marcosv
marcosv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 1, Nexus 7 (2013)
Just got my K3 cover with lamp in the mail from Amazon yesterday. Hopefully the reader itself ships by Friday. Never owned a Kindle and not too familiar with past covers. Do like the feel of the K3 cover. The elastic band holding it close is a nice touch, emphasizing the thinness. Hopefully the two metal clips that holds the Kindle in the cover holds up. Also hope the light being powered by the Kindle doesn't drain the battery too fast, given how the K3's battery isn't user replaceable. At least the clips is attached to the right side of the case, which should allow the hinge of the case to not contain any wires that could break with repeated use.

$60 is definitely too much for the case, but, I'm buying the K3 on impulse anyway. If it functionally works out and I don't buy a 2nd case (like I did with my Sony PRS-300), $60 is about right for total cost of cases.
marcosv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #32
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
...I like to read it without a cover, but need something to transport it to a fro. So no fancy cover for me.
Many people complained bitterly about the K1 cover, but I like mine. I prefer to read with the cover on--seems to give me a little better grip while I'm reading.

But since I'm not going to buy a cover for my K3, I'm going to have to get used to reading nekkid.
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #33
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Many people complained bitterly about the K1 cover, but I like mine. I prefer to read with the cover on--seems to give me a little better grip while I'm reading.

But since I'm not going to buy a cover for my K3, I'm going to have to get used to reading nekkid.
I liked the K1 cover too, and have always used it.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #34
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Are we talking, you know, McDonald's, or something a little nicer?

Actually, either way, if you're reading your Kindle in a restaurant, you already look kinda dorky, so why worry about adding a headlamp? (hope you have a good sense of humor, Travis)
I do. I mostly live abroad. And I had better have a good sense of humor when I enter a dimly lit McDonald's, pull my Kindle 3 out of the bubble wrap, turn on my miner's light, and start reading while chomping on my Happy Meal and everyone in the restaurant is wondering what planet this guy is from

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #35
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
cases are overrated. part of the appeal for me is how slim and light the kindle is, and also how long the battery lasts. i'm not going to pay money to add weight and thickness. and shorten the battery life..
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #36
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I don't think those LED lights are good for reading. The lighting is uneven, in this case the lower part of the scren, specially on the left, will be darker.

And we should read with a good, even light. I know it's useful to read in bed, while the partner is sleeping on the side, but it's not good to the eyes. But if you have to compromize...

Anyway, Amazon's cover + light has another feature: no batteries. It uses the Kindle's. So you don't have to buy and replace batteries frequently.
sorry to be off topic, but may I have the url for that crawly bug - been looking for it for ages.
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:50 AM   #37
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
I haven't ordered a K3 yet, but might do so later this year. With respect to the cover: It's exactly the uneven light and the fact that it uses the Kindle's battery (would be great, if only the battery were user replaceable) that make me think I won't buy it. I guess I'll wait for reviews here.

@andavane: Rightclick on the image file and choose something like "show image" or "copy image url"..?
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:02 AM   #38
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by notatoad View Post
cases are overrated. part of the appeal for me is how slim and light the kindle is, and also how long the battery lasts. i'm not going to pay money to add weight and thickness. and shorten the battery life..
Yeah, the Kindle especially seems to be designed for case-less use. I'm either going to get a neoprene sleeve, or just use a bubble-wrap lined mailer I can buy for 2 bucks. (got the idea from somebody on this forum)
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #39
ofey
Kindle3 Noob
ofey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
May well be very costly but I got one together with my K3. It is a very well thought out cover and I for one think it's well worth it. Often the quality of accessories made by the part manufacturer is of poor quality but not this one. I don't think there's a better cover on the market and I suspect Amazon know it, hence the price.

Last edited by ofey; 11-01-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: edit
ofey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #40
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I am saving up to buy the Oberon cover for my DXG. At 130.00 for the cover I have to really work the aspect of the cover for my husband. I feel like reading is what I do. I am not really a person to go shopping or out with friends much, so money that would normally be spent there is spent on my Kindle =D. Perhaps you can drop a few things on the side and use the money to make up the cost for the cover.
With the DXG you probably won't want a cover, the thing is a brick. Though I can hold it with 1 hand, I for sure could not with a cover on.

Why add weight to an already heavy device?

Slip cover/shell wins for sure. It's not like I'm going to drop the thing. And it's not like those flimsy little leather covers that cost 130$ + shipping/tax 150$? will do anything if you do drop the device. Better off just RMAing it for a new screen and paying amazon 150$ to replace the screen when/if you do crack it later down the line (which probably never will happen). Then you don't have to add extra brick weight too.

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-02-2010 at 02:48 AM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #41
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I agree spending any accessory over 30 for a 140 device is kinda non sensical.

The most likely way I will damage my kindle is to sit on it after leaving it on the couch or the bed somewhere. A cover won't probably help much in that case.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #42
bitschnau
Enthusiast
bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Ask yourself, what it's worth, not what it costs!
bitschnau is offline   Reply With Quote