Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
Those "I just like the feel of a book in my hand" people

I was just wondering if anyone else has come across these people since they've got their kindle. Since I've got mine I've seemed to turned into a Kindle spokesman and am trying to convert friends over to ebooks. I've been reading ebooks for years now but always on tiny devices that weren't really meant to be ereaders so I never really showed them to anyone.

My sister for example is a ferocious reader and I thought for sure she'd be the perfect candidate for a Kindle. Nope. Her and a few other people I've shown say the same thing "it's neat an all but there is still something about having a physical book in your hand". Personally I think these people are crazy

I just thought I'd see what reactions other kindle owners have had when showing their reader to friends etc.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
After reading other people here mentioning it, I finally got the "I just love the smell of books" comment from someone. I was so stunned I couldn't think of a reply.

I have read electronically for so long that I am having a hard time relating to people who like the weight of hard covers or the discomfort of holding a paperback - for the smell?

To each his own.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
I was one of those people. Though words are always the most important part, for many of us, the experience of reading is more than just that. I've always loved the whole process of reading - from going to the bookstore/library and searching for something that piques my interest to (yes, like everyone else says) getting a whiff of new book smell when I first crack it open. I also enjoy collecting the books I've read, whether or not I plan to reread them. Right now, I have several full bookcases in my house and for years my mother has been asking me when I'm gonna take my old books from her house.

In the end, I didn't switch to ebooks because my feelings about physical books changed. I switched because my collection is about to outgrow the space I have for it. I had to choose between ending physical book purchases now or getting rid of some of my books later.

There are many advantages to ebooks, but if you grew up reading physical books, nostalgia can be a very strong motivator to stick with them
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Well, I am going to be buying a Kindle tonight - my first eReader - but still...

If you have never been there then you can never understand, but, there is something very sensual about reading an actual, physical book, and yes it does involve the smell of the ink and paper, the weight of the book, the sound of the pages turning. It involves all of your senses, plus the pleasure and stimulus of reading itself. The pleasure and stimulus of reading is all the eReader has; I can't imagine it involves any of the other senses.

So, I guess I am one of those crazy people, and yet I am still looking forward to the eReader experience.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I understand nostalgia, but it's about the words and the story, not the media, for me. I've been a b ook reader for fifty years, but I find the e-Book reader experience as superior.

I wonder if the chiseled stone, parchment, and codex folk waxed nostalgic...

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
I think they're kinda crazy* too.

I get that response all the time.

Them: Yeah, I just like the feel the weight of a book and I like turning the pages.....

Me: No you don't.... you only "like" turning pages 'cause that's the only way you got to the next page, the next part of the story.

Them:....

I have NEVER, NEVER been reading a book, completely engrossed in the story and the characters and the words, and suddenly stop to caress the page of the book and inhale that book scent. I'm too busy enjoying the story.

I can enjoy going to bookstores and talking with people about good reads and that doesn't mean you can't do that with an e-reader. It's never an either/or decision.

*OK not crazy, but... Overly sentimental maybe?

Last edited by Anarel; 10-05-2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Ok, sorry about the word crazy! Overly sentimental maybe?
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I feel the same as a_str8 and OakIris.

I love that a gadget can make my reading more convenient and space-saving when I want or need it to, but sensually, I still prefer paper.

The whole organic, tactile feeling...form... the leafing of pages... and I'm a sucker for good cover art.

I've always seen good books as small works of art. I collect them, and I'll continue to buy the ones I really like. I'll just stick to digital-only for those books I'm used to reading and then passing on.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
jphphotography
Zealot
jphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud ofjphphotography has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle 3 6" 3G + wifi, Sony PRS-300, iTouch 4G, Galaxy S Vibrant
I thought this might be an interesting topic

@ OakIris
Its not like I "haven't been there" lol, I'm not that young. I too have boxes of books but now I'm really considering getting rid of the ones I have electronic copies of if for no better reason than physical space.

As I'm reading this thread I also can't help but wonder if gender plays a role in all of this? I'm male and I'd guess (and its just a guess) that perhaps the female readers are more inclined to notice/appreciate the texture and smell of the paper? Whereas guys may focus more strictly on the content and words than the "experience"? Hopefully nobody takes my thoughts the wrong way, I just thought it might be an interesting aspect on how each sex experiences activities.

Also they say that the olfactory sense (smell) is very highly linked to memories, could it be that this aspect is a key hurdle in more people embracing ebooks and ereaders? I hadn't really thought of the "book smell" factor before someone mentioned it in this thread. While the lack of scent definitely didn't prevent me from going the ebook route I can see where they are coming from, that smell does kindle (sorry couldn't resist) memories of adventure and stories yet unread.
jphphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I loaned my K1 to a 10 year old girl for the summer. when it was returned, the comment was; "thanks, had fun but she actually prefers real books."

apparently reading it in the car was preferable to books, but at home she prepared pbooks *shrug*
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can't wait until the day when I can have the memory of reading a book inserted into my brain via a cortical shunt.

Until then -- physical book or ebook... it doesn't really matter. I flip-flop between the two all the time. The cortical shunt thing was all crap, btw... I don't believe in shortcuts when it comes to reading.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
I think they're kinda crazy, too.

I get that response all the time.

Them: Yeah, I just like the feel the weight of a book and I like turning the pages.....

Me: No you don't.... you only "like" turning pages 'cause that's the only way you got to the next page, the next part of the story.

Them:....

I have NEVER, NEVER been reading a book, completely engrossed in the story and the characters and the words, and suddenly stop to caress the page of the book and inhale that book scent. I'm too busy enjoying the story.

I can enjoy going to bookstores and talking with people about good reads and that doesn't mean you can't do that with an e-reader. It's never an either/or decision.
I"m thinking maybe some people really do enjoy the above....of course its a way to get to the next page, but its also a physical act, taking you there.

And yes, some people do like the smell of books....

Let those who enjoy their paper books do so without calling them crazy.

Its not a "them or us" thing......we're all readers all sharing the same experience.

We just see it with different eyes.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #12
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphphotography View Post

As I'm reading this thread I also can't help but wonder if gender plays a role in all of this? I'm male and I'd guess (and its just a guess) that perhaps the female readers are more inclined to notice/appreciate the texture and smell of the paper? Whereas guys may focus more strictly on the content and words than the "experience"? Hopefully nobody takes my thoughts the wrong way, I just thought it might be an interesting aspect on how each sex experiences activities.
I don't think that's a bad thought. It could be an influence, just like color preferences.

Quote:
Also they say that the olfactory sense (smell) is very highly linked to memories, could it be that this aspect is a key hurdle in more people embracing ebooks and ereaders? I hadn't really thought of the "book smell" factor before someone mentioned it in this thread. While the lack of scent definitely didn't prevent me from going the ebook route I can see where they are coming from, that smell does kindle (sorry couldn't resist) memories of adventure and stories yet unread.
I bet that is the reason for the smell thing. For some reason, it isn't as big a deal to me as the tactile sense -- I don't "miss" it -- but yeah, the olfactory sense is supposed to be the most deeply-ingrained memory trigger.

So for those whose happiest times were spent cuddled with a book, it makes complete sense to have built an association between those positive feelings and the scent -- even more than with all the other senses involved.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I can't wait until the day when I can have the memory of reading a book inserted into my brain via a cortical shunt.

Until then -- physical book or ebook... it doesn't really matter. I flip-flop between the two all the time. The cortical shunt thing was all crap, btw... I don't believe in shortcuts when it comes to reading.
Oh, thank goodness. I had to read your first sentence twice to make sure I was reading correctly......the very thought of memory implants vs the real thing just floored me!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Just out of respect, I don't think you guys can call these people crazy. Have you forgot that the book has lasted millenniums?

Let's just be thankful for our e-readers. :-)
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #15
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Sorry, sorry, I made the crazy comment, everyone else is fine ^^; It's all on me.

La la la.....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote