Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
iPad Reading soundoff

I'd like this thread to be simply a sound off for folks who HAVE an iPad and HAVE spent time reading on it.

For me:

Overall I find the iPad fantastic for reading -- from reading indoors, to reading outdoors in the shade...once I adjusted the brightness of the screen and increased the font size.

It's weight is more an issue for me for reading long stretches at a time. I still read on my iphone at night when I go to bad -- because I just don't want the iPad's weight on my belly at that time.

Reading long form on my laptop does hurt my eyes, and so did the iPad -- until I started adjusting the brightness. Now I'm wondering if it was brightness all along.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
When I get mine I'll install a few microphone booms next to the places I plan to read for long stretches. Falling asleep reading won't be a bother then...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Uh...there are numerous threads about reading on an iPad. No need for a high-five thread.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
I disagree. I like the idea of a thread with contributions from iPad owners/readers. While it is true this is discussed throughout the Apple Devices forum, I don't believe there is a topic specifically soliciting this kind of feedback - and only this kind of feedback. If this topic is not for you, mark it as read and move on.

One thing this thread is not is a thread about itself. Now that really does seem pointless - so I guess I will say no more on it!

leebase, good idea! Thanks for it!
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
My g/f bought one and I've read on it for 60 minutes or so 3 times thus far.

I really liked it. Easier to read in dimmer lighting (which is the norm for me as I hate bright lights). Bigger screen is nice for getting a lot more words on a page and having to turn pages less.

Works MUCH better with PDFs (including A4 sized) than I expected on a 9.7 inch screen as it's much less annoying scrolling around in landscape mode than on a slow e-ink device like the Kindle DX, or on a Laptop etc.

Newspapers were great on it, as were comics in the Marvel app.

It's a much better reading device than I anticipated. I'm not 100% sold on buying my own yet, but it reaffirmed that I do 100% want a tablet device.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It took awhile to grow on me. My first reaction was "my eyes, my eyes are burning!". Reading on the iPad was exactly like reading on my laptop. So much for using the iPad as an eReader.

Then I remembered the Microsoft researcher who said that eye can't tell the difference between reflected (paper, eInk) and direct light (backlit lcd) -- but that strain can come from having the light be too bright. So I turned down the brightness of the book (easy to do with the iBook app) -- and enlarged the font. Then it read well, really good.

But when reading for a long time -- the heavyness becomes noticeable. Did not want to read with it in be cuz I guess I'm just tired and the weight is extra uncomfortable. So I go back to reading on my iphone -- which I love.

BUT -- I read the next day on the iPad and the size is really growing on me. I like the bigger easier to read words -- and more of them on the screen

Today my case arrived. And it's not like a "computer case" -- it's more like a slip cover. Makes the iPad feel GREAT in your hands. And the cover folds over and gives a wider base -- which makes the iPad not feel as heavy as the weight is spread out. It's fantastic. My iPhone will surely be relegated to when I'm out and about.

As for other reading -- the web, magazines, comics -- the iPad has rocked from day one. The screen looks great. Newspapers look like newspapers. I'm not much of a comic book reader, but the three comics apps are all fantastic. I'd love this if I were a comic book reader.

Plus this device is just so darn fast. Multi-tasking isn't nearly so important when you can open and close apps so fast.

Lee
Old 04-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon

The thread is meant for folks who are looking for just the feedback of those who are reading on their iPad -- without every other post from folks spouting theory based on their experiences with reading on computers. Or just generally hating on a product that they don't want for whatever other reasons.

Lee
Old 04-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
In 10years of reading ebooks, iPad is the best ereading experience I've had. Plus, it is easy to take a quick break from reading and type this post on the same device...... Very satisfied.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
In 10years of reading ebooks, iPad is the best ereading experience I've had. Plus, it is easy to take a quick break from reading and type this post on the same device...... Very satisfied.
So you gave in! I'm happy for you. Looking forward to enjoying it myself when it gets here...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post

But when reading for a long time -- the heavyness becomes noticeable. Did not want to read with it in be cuz I guess I'm just tired and the weight is extra uncomfortable. So I go back to reading on my iphone -- which I love.

BUT -- I read the next day on the iPad and the size is really growing on me. I like the bigger easier to read words -- and more of them on the screen

Lee
So.. to conclude.. it didn't just let you read, it helped you develop your strength too?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
So you gave in! I'm happy for you. Looking forward to enjoying it myself when it gets here...
Yes, and it was the wife that made me

She wanted one, we went to apple store, and my defenses broke down after I played with one..... It is a blast for the web, reading, photos, music, video and gaming. We are both very pleased with the purchase.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Has anyone found any way to separate your books into collections on the iPad?
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
my experience so far, I hav3e read for over an hour many times, I have used both the ibooks app and the kindle app. Pesonally I like the kindle app way more, for one in horizontal display it still defaults to showing only one large page, compared to the two pages of the ibook app, second, I like bieng able to just tap the corner and the page turns, it turns faster in the kindle, but yes it is cute in the ibooks, but I do not want cute, I want functional. I also love the sepia background of the kindle app. On the ibooks app I did like that I could change the font type also. End result for now I will be buying books from amazon.
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Very surprised to see you have one (already)!!! Now I understand why your Sony 300 is/was for sale. I'll have to make a trek to the Apple Store now.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
Has anyone found any way to separate your books into collections on the iPad?
You can go to "Get Info" and change the "genre" That equals categories in your iBooks shelf.

You can select a number of books and do a mass edit as well.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote