Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #106
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If I were betting, then I'd go for sony releasing a model with a large screen. This would appeal to the business and academic markets. People could read reports, academic papers (in PDF, even) and journal articles. But the device wouldn't compete directly with the 6" models, since it wouldn't be so easily portable, and would be more expensive.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok... I'm not going to argue with you. But, the bottom line is that LRF, TXT, RTF, HTML, XML, MOBI, PDF, ePUB are all text files. Some of these text files include an ML (markup language) like HTML and some include data delimiters like ePUB. Those that "embed" pictures require that the binary picture is base64 encoded so it can be stored as text.

So, basically all of the ebooks readers are text viewers, whether it is a Jetbook, CyBook or Sony Reader Digital Book.

I know you like the Sony, it is the device you choose and it is the best for you. That doesn't make everything else lame, or "shouldn't have ever been released" etc. Of course, you are welcome to your opinion and I guess that's what you were stating.

BOb
I was just using the 505 as a price comparison since it's the cheaper of the 6" eink devices. But the problem with the Jetbook is that it is expensive and you cannot purchase most books for it unless you can find them in DRM free PDF. Most people (IMHO) won't want to pay so much and not really be able to do much with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #108
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was just using the 505 as a price comparison since it's the cheaper of the 6" eink devices. But the problem with the Jetbook is that it is expensive and you cannot purchase most books for it unless you can find them in DRM free PDF. Most people (IMHO) won't want to pay so much and not really be able to do much with it.
I do agree it is over priced for it's feature set, at least in the US market. However, perhaps in Germany and Chek speaking countries and whatever other languages it supports this isn't the case. It does have some unique features too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #109
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
If I were betting, then I'd go for sony releasing a model with a large screen. This would appeal to the business and academic markets. People could read reports, academic papers (in PDF, even) and journal articles. But the device wouldn't compete directly with the 6" models, since it wouldn't be so easily portable, and would be more expensive.
Nobody's making a larger screen that Sony could use - unless they use the 8" screen that's made for iRex, and I think that's extremely unlikely. The 9.7" screens which a number of manufacturers are planning to use aren't going to arrive until next spring.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:43 AM   #110
Lord KiRon
Connoisseur
Lord KiRon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yep the only thing theoretically possible is a new LG-Philips screens instead of PVO used now, but it's same 6" and to tell you the truth not sure that they are better, just cheaper.
Lord KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #111
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think Sony is going to announce that they are removing DRM from their full catalog and will sell all books in ePub format...

BOb
The sad thing about that comment is not just that it won't happen but that it won't happen despite the fact that it would be a huge commercial success.

My wife loves her 505 but she's shielded from the fact that the selection is so limited by the fact that I can format-shift for her. Not everyone can do that.

Sony's past is littered with examples of how their paranoid devotion to tying their devices to protected formats relegates them to the margins, despite the fact that their hardware is often superior - as is the 505 to my Cybook, by a mile. Would the iPod be where it is today if Sony hadn't tied their original player to a proprietary format? I would I still be buying Vaio laptops if they hadn't gone out of their way to fit a DVD drive hard-wired not to play my (legally obtained) region one DVDs.

They have real chance to challenge Amazon's potential dominance but I expect them to blow it again.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:33 AM   #112
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord KiRon View Post
Yep the only thing theoretically possible is a new LG-Philips screens instead of PVO used now, but it's same 6" and to tell you the truth not sure that they are better, just cheaper.
A Sony PRS99 for 99 dollar? that would shut the mouth of many critics who are aiming for a device less than 100 bucks.
It would indeed open a new chapter then. A simple, plastic, readonly device with no slots, upgrades, but can still hold a massive amounts of books. And above that, the deluxe prs505
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #113
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
My wife loves her 505 but she's shielded from the fact that the selection is so limited by the fact that I can format-shift for her. Not everyone can do that.
Everyone can do that, it's just that now everyone is willing. If you ask me, they're shooting themselves in the foot. I've never bought anything from Sony's catalog, and I sure as hell don't plan on anytime soon. I avoid DRM like the plague it is.

Fictionwise (and LIT books) is all I need.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 AM   #114
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Everyone can do that, it's just that now everyone is willing. If you ask me, they're shooting themselves in the foot. I've never bought anything from Sony's catalog, and I sure as hell don't plan on anytime soon. I avoid DRM like the plague it is.

Fictionwise (and LIT books) is all I need.
I've set a budget to buy something anyway. Just to let them know that ebooks can be profitable.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #115
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I've set a budget to buy something anyway. Just to let them know that ebooks can be profitable.
Who said they couldn't be? I buy all my books, it's just that I offload my money at a different store. Fictionwise has better prices and you can easily remove the DRM. Also, Books On Board is nice too.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #116
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Sony's past is littered with examples of how their paranoid devotion to tying their devices to protected formats relegates them to the margins, despite the fact that their hardware is often superior - as is the 505 to my Cybook, by a mile. Would the iPod be where it is today if Sony hadn't tied their original player to a proprietary format? I would I still be buying Vaio laptops if they hadn't gone out of their way to fit a DVD drive hard-wired not to play my (legally obtained) region one DVDs.

They have real chance to challenge Amazon's potential dominance but I expect them to blow it again.
Well, they're learning. Walkmans play mp3s now, and Reader has an SD slot and reads RTF and PDF.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #117
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There is a competing technology: LCD.
The only real benefit of Eink is it uses less energy than an LCD.
Boy, I'm afraid I can't agree with you on that one. I couldn't wait to get AWAY from reading things off backlit screens. It's so fatiguing and unnatural. I love Eink displays for their eye comfort and "bookishness."
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #118
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
Boy, I'm afraid I can't agree with you on that one. I couldn't wait to get AWAY from reading things off backlit screens. It's so fatiguing and unnatural. I love Eink displays for their eye comfort and "bookishness."
I am not alone!
Cheers!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #119
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
As far as I am concerned, e-ink is a lot easier on my eyes than LCD.
My original statement was that LCD screens can compete with Eink screens. All that anyone has shown in this thread is that an LCD screen would not suit _them_. No one other than Harry has presented a credible argument that LCDs are not a serious alternative to Eink.

BTW, what about the Ebw-1150? We have many many 1150 owners here. If LCD isn't competitive, then how do you explain them?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #120
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
BTW, what about the Ebw-1150? We have many many 1150 owners here. If LCD isn't competitive, then how do you explain them?
I can think of a couple of reasons:

1. It's very cheap. Not everyone can afford - or wishes to pay - the price of an eInk reader. The EBW is wonderful value for money.
2. Some people like backlit devices for reading in the dark.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!