Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
FINALLY!

Ugh... I've been trudging through a difficult book for 3 months . I JUST finished it about five minutes ago. What a relief!

The book was a best seller. I think it was one of those books that many people bought just to leave laying in a prominent place to show how intelligent they are. Maybe some read the interesting parts and skipped over the boring parts. Regardless, I had to force myself to finish it (I had external reasons for wanting to finish the entire book, so I didn't just drop it, as temping as that was, nor did I pick up another to distract me lest I never finish it).

Anyhow... 5 pages per day... OUCH. That really pulled down my average for the year and even had a visible dent in my 3 year rolling average. :-(

Time to pick up some really light reading and try to catch up with my original GoodReads goal for the year! :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The cusious and wary me wants to know what book.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

:-)

I avoided naming the book to keep it a discussion of the experience rather than the book itself. :-) I may name it later if the experience discussion doesn't take off....
Old 07-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Tease.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I'm dying to know what book this is too! Bestseller...people read to prove they're intelligent... not sure that's enough clues for me.

I really just hate that feeling of slogging through a book, though. I used to do it all the time - my pride would not let me quit! - but lately I've been putting them down if they don't grab me in the first 25 pages or so. Life's too short, and there's too many books I need to get to, to waste it on something I'm not enjoying.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2014, 01:03 AM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I wonder if it's a book about how many varieties of grey there are?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I wonder if it's a book about how many varieties of grey there are?

I think that those books are usually hidden away.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #8
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
I really just hate that feeling of slogging through a book, though. I used to do it all the time - my pride would not let me quit! - but lately I've been putting them down if they don't grab me in the first 25 pages or so. Life's too short, and there's too many books I need to get to, to waste it on something I'm not enjoying.

I would have, but it was non fiction and somebody I know really well works with many of the people whose work was discussed in the book, and he is working on the same stuff, so I wanted to understand more about it, even though he agreed it wasn't the best book.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Why would you subject yourself to that? Is it required reading for a course? Personally I very quickly abandon something that is heavy going unless there is a very good reason for persevering.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:24 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Luckily I haven't picked out that many duds (duds in my opinion only, I'm sure) where I've been really tempted to just toss it. When I do though, I quickly skim over the boring parts and then take my time to enjoy the better parts. That way I don't spend months on one book that I'm not enjoying, and I do manage to get through it.

While those books aren't as enjoyable as the ones you can't seem to put down and finish in a few days, I feel better for some odd reason having finished it and not given up on it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:49 AM   #11
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Too many books and too little time for me to force myself to finish books I'm disliking. If I really want to know what happened I'll look for spoilers on the web. Had to do that for Patterson's The Postcard Killers. The plotline was interesting but I couldn't get into the writing style. I usually like Patterson too.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:20 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
:-)

I avoided naming the book to keep it a discussion of the experience rather than the book itself. :-) I may name it later if the experience discussion doesn't take off....
Even small talk needs a topic of discussion no matter how general so I predict that the discussion will be short as no one who reads the thread will know what in particular is being talked about. I mean we can't even agree or disagree about the book in question being a touch read if we don't even know if we've read it or not.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:24 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Luckily I haven't picked out that many duds (duds in my opinion only, I'm sure) where I've been really tempted to just toss it. When I do though, I quickly skim over the boring parts and then take my time to enjoy the better parts. That way I don't spend months on one book that I'm not enjoying, and I do manage to get through it.

While those books aren't as enjoyable as the ones you can't seem to put down and finish in a few days, I feel better for some odd reason having finished it and not given up on it.
I tend to agree. There are as many tastes in reading as there are readers and a book you loved might be one that puts me to sleep or vice versa. For that matter as Steve Allen pointed out in an article I read once some books are meant to be read at a certain age, not before or after as we aren't ready for them before a certain point and if they are read after another certain point (for the 1st time) we might find that whatever they might have taught us about the human condition is old news to us.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly in the UK, many people bought Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" when it was first published, and would leave it on show to illustrate how intellectual they were. Few, I suspect, read it - not that it's a difficult book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Certainly in the UK, many people bought Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" when it was first published, and would leave it on show to illustrate how intellectual they were. Few, I suspect, read it - not that it's a difficult book.
Yep. Google 'Hawking Index' . I never really understood that; as you say, the book isn't difficult at all. Penrose's 'The Road to Reality', now...fantastic book, but it took me three weeks to get through. And copious amounts of skull sweat
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote