Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Going through a book slump sigh...

I finish one book for every 10 or so I start. It takes a lot for me to finish a book. However, for those I finish, I thoroughly enjoy them and some I read in two days, they are that good. Here's a list of books I've read since I started tracking. If I read it, I loved it. I plan to read the rest of Millenium and Hunger Games someday but I burned out on the first ones, even though they were great.

In no particular order.

Spoiler:

A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
Wellington, Chrissie

Chalked Up: Inside Elite Gymnastics' Merciless Coaching, Overzealous Parents, Eating Disorders, and Elusive Olympic Dreams
Sey, Jennifer

Qualifying For Kona: The Road To Ironman Triathlon World Championship In Hawaii
Britt, Raymond

Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
Holland, Julie

In a Single Bound: Losing My Leg, Finding Myself, and Training for Life
Reinertsen, Sarah

It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life
Armstrong, Lance

Open
Agassi, Andre

Becoming an Ironman: First Encounters with the Ultimate Endurance Event
Thom, Kara Douglass *

Staying The Course: A Runner's Toughest Race
Beardsley, Dick

My First 100 Marathons: 2,620 Miles With An Obsessive Runner
Horowitz, Jeff

Unthinkable: The True Story about the First Double Amputee to Complete the World-Famous Hawaiian Ironman Triathlon
Rigsby, Scott

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Collins, Suzanne

The Long Run: One Man's Attempt to Regain His Athletic Career-And His Life-by Running the New York City Marathon
Long, Matt

The Book Thief
Zusak, Markus

Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run: From Common Man to Ironman
Holgate, Andy

Once a Runner
Jr., John L. Parker

The Extra Mile: One Woman's Personal Journey to Ultra-Running Greatness
Reed, Pam

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner
Karnazes, Dean

You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Triathlon
Steinberg, Jacques

Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
Brant, John

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
Larsson, Stieg

I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance
McCormack, Chris

Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
Fitzgerald, Matt

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
McDougall, Christopher

Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America
Ryan, Jeff

Here's some books I started and couldn't finish along with a bit on why I didn't finish them:

Spoiler:

A Million Little Pieces
Frey, James (have tried to get into it many times but like Positively False by Floyd Landis once I know a "biography" is a lie I can't get into it).

Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia
Hornbacher, Marya (about 70% done, I guess I'll go back to it in pieces now and then)

A Few Degrees from Hell: The 2003 Badwater Ultramarathon
Ludwig, Scott (I love reading about the race and I'm about 60% into it but it was too slow going)

Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
Feldman, Deborah * (although I plan to try again... 14 days check out are you kidding me? And a trip got in the way (it's a hold book right now so I couldn't time when I got it)

Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
Ehrenreich, Barbara (have gotten about 30% into it and I really enjoy the subject)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Skloot, Rebecca * (I just can't get into it, and I really want to)

To the Edge: A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance
Johnson, Kirk (highly recommended by someone who has done the race but his writing style is very vague and wispy, i.e. the sky and the stars and the wind).

The Plutonium Files: America's Secret Medical Experiments in the Cold War
Welsome, Eileen (and I LOVE book on experiments... got a bit into it)

Moloka'i
Brennert, Alan (got about 70% into it before I ran out of stream)

I DO love reading and once a book has me, it has me. The problem is finding a book that gets me. I soooo want to read a book right now and have problems finding a good one

I tend to like medical fiction, psychological thrillers, and courtroom dramas. Some of my favorite movies were Matrix 1 and The Butterfly Effect. Big into Robin Cook, Michael Palmer, and Tess Gerritsen, although I haven't been able to get into their books lately. Can't get into Stephen King (read Bag of Bones... eh... read Thinner, did like it).

The only two books I've read multiple times are The Giver and Catcher In The Rye, but I've read them enough that I'm done with them

Last edited by GatorDeb; 06-25-2012 at 05:27 AM.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Are you are (marathon) runner yourself or simply fascinated by them?

From your list I've read Open and It's not about the bike and liked them very much. The other sport books sound very interesting, too. Thanks for sharing!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If you like legal thrillers, I recommend Rebecca Forster's books. I reviewed some of them in On Books: Rebecca Forster — Legal Thrillers.

Also well worth reading are mysteries by these authors: Vicki Tyley (see On Books: Murder Down Under) and L.J. Sellers (see On Books: Detective Jackson Grows and Grows).

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these indie authors.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I'm a triathlete, and love anything to do with running, biking, swimming, triathlons, and endurance sports

I'll check them out, thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Literary author Haruki Murakami has a kind of memoir about running, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running." I haven't read it myself.

I think you might like "Bringing Out the Dead" by Joe Connelly. It's fiction but the author was an NYC EMT for many years.

Have you read any Oliver Sacks?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Literary author Haruki Murakami has a kind of memoir about running, "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running." I haven't read it myself.

I think you might like "Bringing Out the Dead" by Joe Connelly. It's fiction but the author was an NYC EMT for many years.

eP
I couldn't get into WITAWITAR Just the writing style, the same as one of the running books on my not finished list.

I do like Oliver Sacks but couldn't get too much into Hat or Musicophilia. I'll check out that book thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I see you've been reading Steig Larsson; I am currently hooked on the Wallander series from Henning Mankell. Fantastic stuff.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I enjoyed The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I enjoyed The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty.
Just placed a hold at the library, thanks!

Just got my hands on Racing Through The Dark by David Millar... cyclist who doped got caught got clean and went back to race, and I'm a few pages into it and really getting into it, WHOOHOO FINALLY that old feeling coming back!!

I'm number 30 on hold for Finding Ultra (about ultra running), number 17 for Eat & Run (about ultra running), both just came out, and number 11 for Wild (about finding yourself in the trails, came out not too long ago), was surprised no one wanted to read David Millar's, that's the most recent to come out.

Whoohoo, love the feeling of an unread good book
Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post

eP
Never read the book, but I love the movie
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I'm number 17 for Eat & Run (about ultra running), both just came out,

Whoohoo, love the feeling of an unread good book
I'm just reading Eat & Run and like it very much. Well worth looking forward to it!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote