Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #46
poomex
poomex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Does it work when you use only the first 8 characters (fionaXXX with 3 hex digits)? Standard default root passwords use a DES hash (which allows you to type extra random characters past 8, but they are ignored).

Is it the standard fionaXXX as shown on the "kindle password" web page after you supply your serial number (all uppercase)?
You are right - 8 characters fionaXXX password from webpage works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Would you post your /etc/shadow file somewhere we can look at it?

Did you use the update file posted by Amazon?
If so we can look in it to see if it patches /etc/shadow.
I used the 4.1.0 update file posted by Amazon.
The content of shadow: http://pastebin.com/kE8ggCQQ
poomex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by poomex View Post
- - - -
Thanks.
No changes noticed, but then you found that out yourself from the web-page.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #48
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poomex View Post

If you look at the shadow file at the link you posted, you can see that the framework password is an MD5 has because it starts with |$1$|, but the root password is a DES hash because it does not start with "$". DES only uses the first 8 characters of your password.

You can edit those shadow files, and replace the hash strings from another shadow file. That is how I changed the standard (serial-number depended) fionaXXX password in diags_ssh (by copying it from a K4 "mario" shadow file into the K5 diags shadow file. I thought it important that diags_ssh not use somebody ELSES fionaXXX password, and "mario" was a good choice. Using the passwd command to change it would have changed it to an MD5 hash, and I wanted to keep the original DES hash, so I just copied the hash instead.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-23-2012 at 04:47 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #49
lega4
lega4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Are there any method using copy-paste scripts to Kindle (Like one for 4.0.1 firmware), not connect to Linux console?
lega4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #50
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lega4 View Post
Are there any method using copy-paste scripts to Kindle (Like one for 4.0.1 firmware), not connect to Linux console?
You can mount and modify a firmware image file before flashing it. In Windows, I use ImDisk: http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #51
kirokko
Member Retired
kirokko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Today I restored mmcblk0p1.img, update Kindle to 4.1.0 and mario and fionaXXX passwords don't work.
This is content of my shadow file: http://pastebin.com/Qi1vhjAU
kirokko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirokko View Post
Today I restored mmcblk0p1.img, update Kindle to 4.1.0 and mario and fionaXXX passwords don't work.
This is content of my shadow file: http://pastebin.com/Qi1vhjAU
Did they work after you restored mmcblk0p1.img but before you did the update?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #53
kirokko
Member Retired

Didn't try this. Is there any way to rstore it again? I can't access through ssh to command prompt, but what if flash diags (mmcblk0p2.img using fastboot mode)?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #54
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Didn't try this. Is there any way to rstore it again? I can't access through ssh to command prompt, but what if flash diags (mmcblk0p2.img using fastboot mode)?
Hmm...
So we do not know which change made the difference, the image you loaded or the update.
Either one might have caused this problem.

Will leave this thread for someone who knows the K4 better.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #55
flash2004
flash2004 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT O
This thread is now hijacked.. it seems ...
flash2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #56
kirokko
Member Retired

I restored Kindle flashing 4.0.1 images and before the update to 4.1.0 mario password worked fine. But after update mario and fionaXXX doesn't work. Maybe it happend after I flashed mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p2 from different device which had different serial number and password also different?

Also, what if I replace shadow file in /etc/shadow with another from previous version of mmcblk0p2.img with mario password? Will it work?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I restored Kindle flashing 4.0.1 images and before the update to 4.1.0 mario password worked fine. But after update mario and fionaXXX doesn't work. Maybe it happend after I flashed mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p2 from different device which had different serial number and password also different?

Also, what if I replace shadow file in /etc/shadow with another from previous version of mmcblk0p2.img with mario password? Will it work?
Yes.
You only have to replace the first line, the "root: ..." line.
Be careful to use an editor set for 'lf' line endings.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #58
kirokko
Member Retired

I'm thinking about replace file because I can't use the editor (can't acess to shell) . I checked it before update and only first line is different. The hash which I posted to pastebin some time ago was only in mmcblk0p1 partition, but after update this hash appeared in diags partition. I mean "ha4E...". I will try and post the result later.

Who made this images? Maybe he can share with password also?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #59
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash2004 View Post
This thread is now hijacked.. it seems ...
You are right ...
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #60
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I'm thinking about replace file because I can't use the editor (can't acess to shell) . I checked it before update and only first line is different. The hash which I posted to pastebin some time ago was only in mmcblk0p1 partition, but after update this hash appeared in diags partition. I mean "ha4E...". I will try and post the result later.

Who made this images? Maybe he can share with password also?
If you want (or have to) replace the entire file - why not just set the root password to something you know before you copy it over?
Borrow that "root: ..." line from your desktop system.