Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle Touch
Fontconfig in KT 5.1.2 stops synthetically emboldening for fonts?

It seems that the fontconfig in KT 5.1.2 doesn't synthetically embolden for fonts that do not have bold face available any more.

So now if I only have a font of type Regular, I'll have to create a bold one manually for it. This is so boring and time-consuming, in addition to occupying more root partition.

I've looked through the configuration files in /etc/fonts/conf.d but find nothing helpful.

Could you guys confirm this? Thanks!
silverzhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
yes, i've tried on KT 5.1.0 and it would not synthetically embolden regular fonts. i've even tried the following config, but was also unsuccessful.

Code:
<!--
 Synthetic emboldening for fonts that do not have bold face available
 -->

<match target="font">
  <!-- check to see if the font is just regular -->
  <test name="weight" compare="less_eq">
   <const>medium</const>
  </test>
  <!-- check to see if the pattern requests bold -->
  <test target="pattern" name="weight" compare="more">
   <const>medium</const>
  </test>
  <!--
    set the embolden flag
    needed for applications using cairo, e.g. gucharmap, gedit, ...
  -->
  <edit name="embolden" mode="assign">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
  <!--
   set weight to bold
   needed for applications using Xft directly, e.g. Firefox, ...
  -->
  <edit name="weight" mode="assign">
   <const>bold</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
not sure if it will help if you install the freetype library available on this forum.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
silverzhao
Enthusiast
silverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesilverzhao makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
yes, i've tried on KT 5.1.0 and it would not synthetically embolden regular fonts. i've even tried the following config, but was also unsuccessful.
not sure if it will help if you install the freetype library available on this forum.
Well, I saw this in /etc/fonts/conf.d/90-synthetic.conf, and I've even tried to add this directly to local.conf, but it doesn't work.

I don't know whether this is the problem of fontconfig or freetype since the update. Maybe I'll try the freetype on this forum then to check it.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
silverzhao
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
OK, I've tried libfreetype.so 6.8.1 downloaded from here on my KT.

It's good that regular fonts of the main body text in a book finally have synthetic emboldenings now.

However, in Menu --> Go To, the fonts of contents doesn't have synthetic emboldenings yet, which is I mainly target for. By the way, the font here is wqy-microhei, as the preferred sans-serif font for Chinese, which is configured in the file /etc/fonts/local.conf.

Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzhao View Post
OK, I've tried libfreetype.so 6.8.1 downloaded from here on my KT.

It's good that regular fonts of the main body text in a book finally have synthetic emboldenings now.

However, in Menu --> Go To, the fonts of contents doesn't have synthetic emboldenings yet, which is I mainly target for. By the way, the font here is wqy-microhei, as the preferred sans-serif font for Chinese, which is configured in the file /etc/fonts/local.conf.

Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!
sorry, won't be able to help. in fact, i didn't install libfreetype.so, because the last time i did that it caused instability in my KT. i've assigned bold font in a customised 99chinese.conf instead.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert