Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4 Touch
Removing Ads with the GUI Launcher

EDIT:
As you can see in post 4, Emrexcem posted some code. I finally got around to testing it, and I am blown away. Turns out it fundamentally remakes the kindle into a non-ad version, allowing us to be able to use YiFanLu's custom screensaver mod - http://yifan.lu/p/custom-screensaver/

Old post in spoiler.
Spoiler:
pathartl found a way to quickly and easily remove ads.
http://pathartl.me/5387/remove-ads-on-kindle-touch
However, on my kindle they keep popping back up. Using YiFanLu's GUI launcher, we can make a toggle for this.

What I did:
Downloaded pathartl's files
Restructured so that they will work with the GUI launcher
Wrote a menu and a config file
DONE

---Instructions---
1. Install YiFanLu's GUI Launcher - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161263
2. extract the AdToggle zip into the extensions folder
3. Reboot
4. Go to Menu --> Launcher --> Toggle Ads. They will be removed forever.

Restoring ads
1. Open extensions/AdToggle/bin/toggleads.sh
2. comment out the first chunk of code (labelled as removing ads)
3. delete the # mark in front of the second chunk of code (labelled as restoring ads)
4. Run the script as in step 4 above.
5. (or just use v2.1, there are two profiles for this.)

Optionally just SSH in and delete /var/local/adunits, then move /var/local/adunits.bkp to /var/local/adunits

Custom Screensaver
Install YiFanLu's custom screen saver, and follow the instructions.
http://yifan.lu/p/custom-screensaver/

Download:
v2.2 has two profiles, hide and show
v2.0 just removes them, if you want them back you should edit the script
v1.5 is legacy, for those who want to keep their bottom banner

---
http://ebookjuggler.com/kindle/remov...-kindle-touch/
^ My site.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AdToggle_2-FINAL.zip (10.7 KB, 1294 views)
File Type: zip FolderToggle v1.5-legacy.zip (5.9 KB, 573 views)
File Type: zip AdToggle_2.2_two-profiles.zip (11.1 KB, 1281 views)

Last edited by vaniaspeedy; 03-25-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: bug fix
Old 01-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #2
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quite interesting is, that there are no screensavers afterwards, but the last open page is displayed in the sleepmode.
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur
vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.vaniaspeedy knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

I have the same, try running it again. 2 times in a row works for me.
--edit---
*facepalm* - I forgot to change the paths from absolute to relative. Updated the script, it should do the trick.
---edit v2---
Fixes it, see changelog for v1.2

Last edited by vaniaspeedy; 01-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Emrexcem
Turkish :)
Emrexcem began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (5.03)
this one works
Quote:
/etc/init.d/framework stop
mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
touch /var/local/adunits
/etc/init.d/framework start
thanks to Derek 1987
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emrexcem View Post
this one works
thanks to Derek 1987
Cool! is this more effective than pathartle's method? How does it compare?
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
Cool! is this more effective than pathartle's method? How does it compare?
I used that method 2 months ago it there've been no problems since.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
cieplok
cieplok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is this hack working with 5.0.3 update?

EDIT: OK, now I know. It works. Thx

Last edited by cieplok; 02-21-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
vaniaspeedy: Could you update your launcher ext. according to this one?
Code:
touch /var/local/adunits
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
bill crystals
bill crystals began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Will this work on a K4 NT?

I would really like to have the last page opened displayed in sleep mode.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill crystals View Post
Will this work on a K4 NT?

I would really like to have the last page opened displayed in sleep mode.
i have not tested this on a NT, but you can try. if you want the last page read to be displayed, simply delete the screensaver.png, and the kindle will show a transparent screensaver.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
vaniaspeedy: Could you update your launcher ext. according to this one?
Code:
touch /var/local/adunits
I will be glad to once i test it. I'm a tad backlogged on work at the moment, but i should have time to get to it this weekend. if you'd like, you can replace the code yourself, and increment the version number in the zip. I'll attach it to the main post.

Thanks for all of the input, seems like we have a few good ways to add in custom screensavers
Old 02-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #12
demonseye316
demonseye316 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
@vaniaspeedy
i have pathartl's mp3 hack installed and thinking of updating to 5.03. The AdToggle folder must be located in the root of the kindle right? And is this a one click hack like pathartl's? I don't know anything about SSH. thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
vaniaspeedy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonseye316 View Post
@vaniaspeedy
i have pathartl's mp3 hack installed and thinking of updating to 5.03.
AFAIK, when you update you will need to reinstall YiFanLu's launcher that I wrote my extension for

Quote:
The AdToggle folder must be located in the root of the kindle right?
It should be located in the extensions folder, ie, extensions/AdToggle , with extensions being on the same level as documents.
Quote:
And is this a one click hack like pathartl's?
Yes, it uses the exact same code, but allows you to have actual mp3's with music on your device instead of devoting your music folder to just this one task.

In theory, pathartl's hack should remove the ads completely, but in my experience the ad files were redownloaded the moment i turned on wifi. I decided to write a toggle that incorporates into the launcher instead of using an mp3.

I hope this helps!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #14
bill crystals
bill crystals began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaniaspeedy View Post
i have not tested this on a NT, but you can try. if you want the last page read to be displayed, simply delete the screensaver.png, and the kindle will show a transparent screensaver.
Where do I find screensaver.png?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
ricocarlos
ricocarlos began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
I don't see it in the Launcher menu

I extracted the zip to the extensions folder and rebooted but it doesn't appear in the Launcher menu.
Closed Thread

Tags
k_touch, pathartl, remove ads, yifanlu