Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #46
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From memory, I have a mix of class 4 and class 10 cards. None give me a problem except when I fumble the insert. The problems like this reported over the years have been as much with different SD card manufacturers as anything. And formatting the card with the SD card formatter clears up a lot of problems. Does the same message get displayed when the device wakes from sleep? If so, not powering off is a solution.
Every now and then, my kobo says it doesn't recognize my SD card.

Usually if I leave it alone for a few minutes, the card shows up.

I suspect that this happens if the filesystem wasn't unmounted correctly, and something delayed the mounting of the card while it ran a scan or something.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #47
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm not still not seeing any compelling reason to give up my custom patched version of 3.12.1 that I've been using on my 1st-generation Aura for the past couple of years.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #48
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Quote:
Are you using kepubs on the card? If so, that's the problem. Any kepub on the card will be be reprocessed as new book and the reading status lost. epubs seem to be OK. I don't know about other formats. Kobo know about it and are looking at it.
Yup. Most of the in my device are kepubs, whether bought from the Kobo store or converted with Calibre, save for a few manga collections in CBR and CBZ.

Quote:
Does the same message get displayed when the device wakes from sleep? If so, not powering off is a solution.
No, just when turning it on after powering it off. It's a minor annoyance at worse, I just mentioned it because I wasn't sure if it could be related to the device checking the SD card for content as if it has just been inserted. Anyway, thanks for your help
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the breakage was not downloading files larger than 2MB in size. And that was fixed in the 4.4.x firmware.

Kobo do support the browser. The "beta" status means the support is normally a lower priority than other features and if there is a reasonable workaround, then it might be a bit longer before the fix is done. But, the one time they broke it completely, it was fixed very fast.
Dropbox doesn't work at all now. They broke it completely with downloads with the last firmware before the lastest update.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 07-24-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It doesn't work at all now. They broke it completely with downloads with the last firmware before the newest.
Apparently your experience is different to mine. And I used the 4.4.x firmware heavily to work out why I couldn't download books using the calibre v3 beta. Then used that information so that the problem could be fixed in the server. And it was OK to view other sites and download books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:07 AM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apparently your experience is different to mine. And I used the 4.4.x firmware heavily to work out why I couldn't download books using the calibre v3 beta. Then used that information so that the problem could be fixed in the server. And it was OK to view other sites and download books.
Perhaps it's device model specific then. I have a Glo HD.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 07-21-2017, 02:07 AM   #52
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I'm not still not seeing any compelling reason to give up my custom patched version of 3.12.1 that I've been using on my 1st-generation Aura for the past couple of years.
And you're right, I think. I used a patched 3.12 on my Aura HD until a few months ago. Now I am using a patched version of the update before the current one; I am happy with it, but mainly because the upgrade didn't break anything. It hasn't affected my reading experience a bit.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Perhaps it's device model specific then. I have a Glo HD.
Well, I have a Glo HD, Aura H2O, Glo and Touch. The browser in 4.4.x was working to download books on all of them.

And this sort of thing is not device specific. In fact, very little is device specific that isn't directly tied to the hardware differences.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #54
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Well, I have a Glo HD, Aura H2O, Glo and Touch. The browser in 4.4.x was working to download books on all of them.

And this sort of thing is not device specific. In fact, very little is device specific that isn't directly tied to the hardware differences.
Perhaps it's the protocol that's broke then? Try Dropbox which worked fine minutes before I upgraded last time and and no longer did after I went to grab a few forgotten books after the upgrade finished. I haven't gotten the newest firmware. So I'll be happy if it's fixed. The last firmware before this one broke it.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 07-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #55
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
disabling wifi completely, seems to have solved my battery drain problem
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps it's the protocol that's broke then? Try Dropbox which worked fine minutes before I upgraded last time and and no longer did after I went to grab a few forgotten books after the upgrade finished. I haven't gotten the newest firmware. So I'll be happy if it's fixed. The last firmware before this one broke it.
Can you tell me exactly what firmware versions you are talking about? I can't work out whether the "last firmware before this one broke" is referring to a 4.4.x or a 4.3.x firmware. Does "this one" mean 4.5.9587 or whatever is currently on your device?

Downloading with 4.4.x worked with all the sites I tried. I don't use Dropbox, so I didn't try it. From the comments here over the years, any problem are as likely to be Dropbox, as the browser.

4.2.x and 4.3.x had problems with anything above 2MB in size. That might have affected 4.1.x as well, but I don't remember.

As to 4.5.9587, you downloading through the browser is that important to you, don't upgrade. Unfortunately, while trying to stop it from being quite so "seriously outdated", something was broken when downloading files. Thought the change was something that is likely to help with Dropbox, so maybe you should try it. Of course, if it doesn't work with the firmware you are currently using, then upgrading won't harm.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:28 AM   #57
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
davidfor, you should really consider your overly defensive stance.
Writing something like "it is likely it's Dropbox" is just the flipside of "it's just as likely it's Kobo".
While Dropbox is known to tweak their services perhaps too often, Kobo is known to reintroduce bugs in newer firmwares, perhaps too often.
Your comments on these matters often read like long-winded dismissals of the issues when it is the more plausible thing to assume that Kobo messed up. Granted, you list many other sources of error, but it is less likely that they all appear at the same time than it is to assume that Kobo messed up.
What you are doing is simply not helpful.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #58
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Writing something like "it is likely it's Dropbox" is just the flipside of "it's just as likely it's Kobo".
Seems like you completely misread him, that's not what he said at all.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 AM   #59
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Huh, dismissive? Sounds like actively trying to help track down the issue to me.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
davidfor, you should really consider your overly defensive stance.
Sorry, I have no idea how I am being defensive in my posts with Blossom. Can you explain what you think is defensive?
Quote:
While Dropbox is known to tweak their services perhaps too often, Kobo is known to reintroduce bugs in newer firmwares, perhaps too often.
Your comments on these matters often read like long-winded dismissals of the issues when it is the more plausible thing to assume that Kobo messed up. Granted, you list many other sources of error, but it is less likely that they all appear at the same time than it is to assume that Kobo messed up.
I'll cop to "long-winded". I have the possibly unfortunate desire to actually explain what I am thinking of and give reasoned answers to questions. If that comes off as long-winded, than I'll have to put up with that reputation.

I don't think I have been dismissing peoples complaints. Except when they can't back them up. Or maybe the fiftieth "am I the only one seeing" report for a bug that has been extensively discussed for the last few weeks.

I don't think I was being dismissive of Blossom's complaint. I know there are bugs in the firmware. I know there are bugs in browser. What I don't know is what firmware Blossom is using or referring to. If I correctly interpreted the version, then what Blossom is seeing is at complete odds with what I and others saw. With that firmware, any of the 4.4.x versions, I was able to successfully download epubs of varying sizes from several sites. If Blossom could not from one site, that suggests that the site is the problem. Of course, if Blossom is referring to a 4.3.x version, then yes, it is a problem with the browser from Kobo. But, until Blossom actually give me a version number, I won't know for sure.

Quote:
What you are doing is simply not helpful.
And thank you for all of the helpful posts you have made around here.

Tags
firmware upgrade