Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #376
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
And I remember Catch-22 as a very good book and if I remember correctly a very funny book.

Some book I have read and for some reasons disliked a lot are _Forever Peace_ (Joe Haldeman) and The Dirk Gently Books by Douglas Adams. I have probably read too little mainstream books to really have 10 worst books. A genre books usually have a plot so you usually got something from reading it even if the rest of the components are bad.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #377
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I totally agree with you, tompe....about your assessment of Catch-22.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #378
bookwormfjl
Book Junkie
bookwormfjl has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505; Cybook Gen 3; Kindle 1; Kindle 2; Kindle DX; Nook
Here are some of the worst that I have read!

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
read it for a book club and no one liked it!

The Magic Circle by Katherine Neville
The Eight was good but she fell flat on her face with this one.

Harry Potter past #4

Wheel of Time Series

Sword of Truth Series

maybe I'm not as big a fantasy fan as I thought I was..........

Ten-Four on The Gor!

Anything Shannara
bookwormfjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #379
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm going to have to go with the Chronicles of Narnia.

I find them poorly written, and the way they've been hijacked to be the "Anti-Potter" has just pushed me away from them.

The sad thing is, CS Lewis wrote them to reach out to all.. but now I can't read them without feeling sick to my stomach.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #380
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
I'm going to have to go with the Chronicles of Narnia.

I find them poorly written, and the way they've been hijacked to be the "Anti-Potter" has just pushed me away from them.

The sad thing is, CS Lewis wrote them to reach out to all.. but now I can't read them without feeling sick to my stomach.
what do you mean by this ? i hadn't heard about that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:25 AM   #381
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
The only thing I can think of is that the religious nuts who refuse to read Harry Potter because there is witchcraft can read Chronicles because it was written by a known Christian author with Christian themes.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #382
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The only thing I can think of is that the religious nuts who refuse to read Harry Potter because there is witchcraft can read Chronicles because it was written by a known Christian author with Christian themes.
oh my.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #383
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
oh my.

I know. :sigh:
Old 12-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #384
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Using magic. Go figure.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #385
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Down here, in DA SOUTH, they held book burnings of Harry Potter, where if you burned your complete set of Harry Potter books, you were given a set of Narnia books.

It's regularly preached against as a conversion tool, and it's unsafe to read it if you're not a christian, because you'll get someone randomly coming up to you and bashing potter.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #386
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Down here, in DA SOUTH, they held book burnings of Harry Potter, where if you burned your complete set of Harry Potter books, you were given a set of Narnia books.

It's regularly preached against as a conversion tool, and it's unsafe to read it if you're not a christian, because you'll get someone randomly coming up to you and bashing potter.
wow. that's... kinda scary actually. i have a hard time imagining things like that going on. has anyone mentioned to them that it's 2008 ??? (practically 2009, in fact !).
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #387
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
wow. that's... kinda scary actually. i have a hard time imagining things like that going on. has anyone mentioned to them that it's 2008 ??? (practically 2009, in fact !).
Welcome to America...
Old 12-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #388
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Welcome to America...
no no........please don't judge us by some remote, religious nuts who choose to interpret the bible by their own narrow versions.

We live in a country where anyone is free to think and do mostly as they please.

This is both a wonderful thing, and a dangerous thing.

You are free here to rant and rave against a government who allows you to do so without restraint or fear of retribution. Go figure.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #389
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
no no........please don't judge us by some remote, religious nuts who choose to interpret the bible by their own narrow versions.

We live in a country where anyone is free to think and do mostly as they please.

This is both a wonderful thing, and a dangerous thing.

You are free here to rant and rave against a government who allows you to do so without restraint or fear of retribution. Go figure.
"The land of the free" always fascinates me with this kind of news.

There is one thing you do not mention Redcard. Where do these things occur? Is it in your town, at school or at a place of worship.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #390
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've always wondered just what these religious extremists believe is going to happen to people who read HP? ie what exactly is the "danger" in it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote