Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Elisabethe
Elisabethe began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Thumbs down kobo touch - white writing on white screen

Hello, my daughter has one " kobo touch ", for approximately two months, she was very satisfied with it.

She used *.epub, *.pdf, *.txt, *html, and *rtf with no problem.

Until the last week, everything was right, she read those five formats without any difficulty, and abruptly, her kobo refused to show *.txt, *html, and *rtf !

The kobo seems to recognize them : it shows for example at the bottom of the screen "page 1/19", but the screen remains white.

Having made all the recommended manipulations, we brought back the kobo touch to the store. The seller noticed the concern and changed the object without any trouble.

The new kobo touch presents EXACTLY the same problem !

We phoned the help services of Kobo Fnac, which are not able to help us : we did exactly what they said at phone (erasing all text from kobo touch and putting different texts one by one from PC to kobo, reset, etc...)

The only solution proposed is to convert to format pdf. This solution does not satisfy us because the kobo touch is supposed to read different formats (*.epub, *.pdf, *.txt, *html, and *rtf ), and it would oblige my daughter to convert one by one more than 400 texts.

Somebody would know how to explain us what takes place and how to solve the problem please ? because to read white writing on white screen is really very... difficult.

With my thanks,

Elisabethe
Elisabethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
whichgrep
whichgrep began at the beginning.

Device: none
My kobo touch has just upgraded to firmware 2.3.1, and I started getting this problem too. (There may or may not be a connection).

It was happening to me on epub files, though, not plain-text.

I turned the kobo off (hold the top switch until you get the black bar on screen that says SWITCHED OFF), left it for an hour or so while I had dinner, and when I turned it back on, it suddenly worked!

Let me know if this works for you; if this happens again, the kobo's useless to me and I'll have to leave it behind when I go away on vacation tomorrow
whichgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kobo Touch is not a tablet. Moved to the main Kobo forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Dartinho
Dartinho began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm having the exact same problem. Can't read .txt and .html.

Tried whichgrep's solution and didn't work either.

What now? ):
Dartinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
It sounds like either a firmware bug, or a corrupt file on the device messing things up.

Elisabethe are you sure the trouble started out of the blue? Or might your daughter have added a new file/document just before the trouble started? Or, might there have been a firmware update just before the trouble started. whichgrep seems to suggest the latter.

If it's the firmware, you could downgrade back to firmware version 2.1.5. You can find the link to this firmware in this thread. Note that manually up/downgrading firmware is not officially supported by Kobo. Also, a newer Touch model might use the Glo firmware instead of the Touch firmware. Loading the wrong firmware can break your Touch. So you have to be sure which firmware your specific device needs. (See the same thread for more info.)

If you don't think the problem is due to the firmware, you take all your documents of the Glo, and load them back one by one. Start with the ones that you know have previously worked. If, after processing a new document, the problem re-occurs, delete the last document you added. If that solves the problem that was the/one of the corrupt files.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Elisabethe,

I am having the same problem with txt files (I did not try html). Open the font menu and make any change to the settings, for instance change the font face or the size. As soon as the font settings are updated, the script turns black. You have to do this every time you open the file. I hope the next firmware update will remove this bug.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Ah of course. Also a known thing, why did I forget that? Weird that the helpdesk people didn't know what the workaround is!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Just updated my wife's Kobo Touch and side loaded epubs are opening and showing only page numbers with no text on screen. Also, some other books won't even open bitching about Adobe DRM though they have none.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchtray View Post
Just updated my wife's Kobo Touch and side loaded epubs are opening and showing only page numbers with no text on screen. Also, some other books won't even open bitching about Adobe DRM though they have none.
That sounds as if the database got corrupted during the update. You might want to try signing out from Settings / Account / Sign Out. You will then need to sign in again and the Touch will need to rebuild the database. A bit faster than doing a factory reset but with much the same effect.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Lunchtray
Connoisseur
Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.Lunchtray is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Gen 1
Damn, I ended up doing a factory reset to fix it all up. Wish I saw your post earlier to try that.

It was strange because a bunch of side loaded epubs disappeared after the update but a ton stayed. Then every time I restarted the eReader it was constantly trying to process new books but nothing ever happened.... should have put two-and-two together.

I found that when I could get a book open that didn't complain about DRM and it was only showing white if I did the advanced settings on the font and hit apply it would flash and show the text for a second and go back to no text again.
Lunchtray is offline   Reply With Quote