Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
nounlu
nounlu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Amazon's cover is too expensive but I want it.

I think $60 for a cover is too expensive for a device I am paying only $99 after the credit card refund deal. The problem is, it looks awesome and I want it .
So, do you guys think that it is likely to come down on price? Did Amazon ever have deals on the kindle 2 cover? If you think it will be cheaper, I will wait.

I know there are many alternatives but I like the built in light that comes with it. I would like to hear your input.

Thanks
nounlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
"Expensive" is determined by the consumer. If you can wait, perhaps you might want to read the first-hand reports from users who have purchased it and then make your decision. If you want it ASAP you still have the 30 day window to return it if you have the desire to do so.

Having pre-ordered the cover, I may even prefer using the new svelte K3 naked!

Last edited by Skydog; 08-23-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #3
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I am saving up to buy the Oberon cover for my DXG. At 130.00 for the cover I have to really work the aspect of the cover for my husband. I feel like reading is what I do. I am not really a person to go shopping or out with friends much, so money that would normally be spent there is spent on my Kindle =D. Perhaps you can drop a few things on the side and use the money to make up the cost for the cover.
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Having pre-ordered the cover, I may even prefer using the new svelte K3 naked!
Okay, but be careful when you're in public. There are places that arrest people for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I am saving up to buy the Oberon cover for my DXG. At 130.00 for the cover I have to really work the aspect of the cover for my husband. ...
I'm at the other end of the spectrum--I'm going to buy a bubble-wrap mailing envelope ($1.29 maybe) and slide my K3 in there.

But the Oberon covers are awesome and if that's what you want, just go for it, no matter what your hubby says/thinks. I'm sure you deserve it!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
ZenRunner
Enthusiast
ZenRunner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-300
I thought the lighted cover was pricey too, but I still ordered one because I like the idea of the light integrated into the cover. I have a built-in light in my Sony cover and it works great.

Once I buy something I rarely think about the cost again, and I assume it will be the same for this cover.
ZenRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nounlu View Post
I think $60 for a cover is too expensive for a device I am paying only $99 after the credit card refund deal. The problem is, it looks awesome and I want it .
So, do you guys think that it is likely to come down on price? Did Amazon ever have deals on the kindle 2 cover? If you think it will be cheaper, I will wait.

I know there are many alternatives but I like the built in light that comes with it. I would like to hear your input.

Thanks
If you add the price of a separate light (say $15-$20) to a cheaper cover the $60 doesn't seem so bad.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Hmmm ... a quality LED booklamp runs about US$20-25. And a well-made leather cover, another $30. If a quality product - and there is absolutely no reason to believe otherwise - the price is "right there."

But there are those who will find eBay bargain authentic-imitation-leather cases for a dime, and Chinese LED lamps for a quarter, and think they've discovered Nirvana.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
namebrandon
Connoisseur
namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.namebrandon holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Kindle WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
I'm at the other end of the spectrum--I'm going to buy a bubble-wrap mailing envelope ($1.29 maybe) and slide my K3 in there.
Great idea, and I'll probably do exactly the same until I find a cover/case/whatever I really love. The mailer is cheap, padded and would probably be overlooked by anyone on the lookout to specifically steal a kindle / e-Reader / iPad.

I don't mind spending $100+ for a great cover, but I just can't get excited about that Amazon one.
namebrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yes, the lighted cover is a bit spendy, but I decided that since I'll probably have my K3 for at least 2 years (at least until really good color models come out) I'd splurge. The idea of reading in bed with just the Kindle really appeals to me. Apparently the lighted cover works really well from early reports. Also, the fact that it doesn't need its own separate batteries is a huge plus.

Last edited by carld; 08-23-2010 at 06:33 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Is there a weight issue with those quality LED lamps that one can buy separately? By weight issue, I mean does it make the Kindle less comfortable to read with, sort of top-weighted?

I am thinking about bubble wrap plus LED lamp

I liked this thread on LED lights that one reader posted:

http://www.simplyparticular.com/2010...ption-for.html

I spend most of my time traveling internationally. My goal is to make my luggage and my Kindle look bad, not good. I will scuff up new luggage to make it less tempting to thieves.

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #11
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
First of all, let me say that I think that almost all Kindle accessories (covers, jackets, sleeves, cases, lights, skins, etc.) are overpriced. That said, Amazon charges $34.99 for the non-lighted cover, which is comparable to many of the M-Edge prices for their covers. As for lights, the very popular M-Edge eLuminator2 is $24.99, and the Octavo Solis (which may not fit the K3) is $29.99. So if you were going to buy a regular cover and a separate light, you'd be spending at least $59.98.

I really don't understand why people think that this cover is so expensive within the context of what accessories cost anyways. It's a cover AND a light! It seems like some of the early previewers are saying this in their reviews, which only perpetuates this idea.

What I really don't get is why people spend $70-$75 for an Oberon cover for their 6" Kindle. That may have sounded somewhat reasonable when Kindles were selling at $399 all the way down to $259, but with the Wi-Fi at $139 it seems excessive. At least to me.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
If you add the price of a separate light (say $15-$20) to a cheaper cover the $60 doesn't seem so bad.
That is a good way to put it. I am curious to know though if there'll be enough "light" to cover the screen. I've seen a couple of pictures and review and it doesn't seem to reach the bottom left corner of the K3.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
The Amazon booklight draws power from the Kindle ... Oh, gawd - there goes any sanity when talking about battery life in the upcoming months.

Study One - Read five hours a day, LED lamp on for 45 minutes, take every-other-Tuesday off, adjust LED hours to daylight savings time ...

Although it has been pointed out that the Amazon product isn't priced way outta line, I'll stick with "atermarket" LED lamps and covers for a while.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
xmiyux
Enthusiast
xmiyux doesn't litterxmiyux doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I have bought a couple rechargeable LED lights to use for reading paperback books in bed and always had issues with them staying on the book, shorting out, battery not holding a charge etc. As other pointed out, a standard case at 35$ and then even an inexpensive booklight puts you close to the cost of the lighted case. My thought process is this wouldn't be something I would lose or not have at hand when I wanted it since it was built into the case. I also assumed that since it was a first-party accessory Amazon would have done some good R&D to make sure it worked well with the device.

I could of course be totally wrong when it arrives but the 30 day return window will let me judge it at little risk.
xmiyux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
The Amazon booklight draws power from the Kindle ...
Which for folks I know that ordered it is a big plus.

Personally I don't use a book light so I ordered the regular cover.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote