Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #91
JohnsonZA
JohnsonZA began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecostin View Post
Here you are. Also, the original USB network driver / daemon can be found in the "test" archive I've posted earlier in this thread.
I can confirm that the VNC server works on the standard port 5900. I started it up from an ssh shell as follows: /usr/sbin/ufbvncd -d

The -d switch puts in daemon or background mode. I haven't tried with the ENABLE_VNC file in /mnt/us/

Keyboard input doesn't seem to work. You can just see a mirror of what is happening on the Kindle's screen.

Thanks to ecostin and NiLuJe for all their efforts.
JohnsonZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #92
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
You folks are really terrible you know... I've got a K3 on order for my wife as a present... now I'm going to want to completely assimilate it... just because I'm a linux and electronics junkie.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #93
mubertmumphrey
mubertmumphrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks, ecostin! And thanks for the tip JohnsonZA. Got it up and running without a problem.
mubertmumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #94
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3, KT, KPW, KPW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonZA View Post
I can confirm that the VNC server works on the standard port 5900. I started it up from an ssh shell as follows: /usr/sbin/ufbvncd -d

The -d switch puts in daemon or background mode. I haven't tried with the ENABLE_VNC file in /mnt/us/

Keyboard input doesn't seem to work. You can just see a mirror of what is happening on the Kindle's screen.

Thanks to ecostin and NiLuJe for all their efforts.
For me the keyboard works, does exactly what the K3 one does. Try some other VPN clients. The keys mapping is weird.
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #95
mubertmumphrey
mubertmumphrey began at the beginning.

I couldn't get keyboard input, but the only VNC client I tried was RealVNC for Windows. ecostin, what client you were you using?
mubertmumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #96
s0litaire
s0litaire began at the beginning.

using Ubuntu's "Remote Desktop Viewer" I can view the screen but need to use the kindle's buttons.
s0litaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:44 AM   #97
lstefek
lstefek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I went thru this post and it is still not clear to me: Is it possible to get shell access to (standard) Kindle 3? Suppose, you have up-to-date firmware, reset done, no factory left-overs in the Kindle.
Then, would it be possible to somehow combine Fonts & ScreenSavers hacks for Kindle 2.x & 3.x to install jailbreak as described there and then install testtools.jar, so these commands would start working?
lstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #98
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
lstefek: yes. Install the jailbreak and then the usbnetwork hack from the thread you linked to. (The install instructions for the usbnetwork hack are in the zip file.) With the usbnetwork hack installed, ;debugOn and then ~usbNetwork will enable usbnetwork and let you ssh to the K3 through the USB connection (or you can configure it to automatically enable usbnetwork instead of usb mass storage when you plug the cable in). You can also ssh to the K3 over a local wifi connection.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #99
icanhazkindle
icanhazkindle began at the beginning.

imo this tutorial is not really written in a way that someone who doesn't already know how to do it understands it.

3. Should Say that you have to type it into the searchbox that you get when you press "Settings" in the home-screen and then select "Search".
4. I have no plan how to do that step.
icanhazkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #100
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Aaah, I love it how the K3 runs Linux... I feel so at home
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #101
icanhazkindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanhazkindle View Post
4. I have no plan how to do that step.
Can someone explain step 4 to me?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #102
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Can someone explain step 4 to me?
What step 4? Where? To what are you referring?
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #103
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by enn View Post
What step 4? Where? To what are you referring?
Judging by their other commands, icanhazkindle is referring to the guide on the first page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecostin
Step 4: Configure your USB network link with an IP address from the 192.168.15 C class
The Kindle in USB network mode appears as another network adapter. Configure this new network interface in whatever your OS is for a static IP address in the 192.168.15.x range. It doesn't explicitly tell you how to do this because it depends on what OS and what version you're running. Search for guides on how to configure networking on your OS if you don't know how to do this.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #104
icanhazkindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The Kindle in USB network mode appears as another network adapter.
If I type in ";debugOn" into the search-window and then type "~usbNetwork" into the search-window and then connect my K3 via USB to my PC, I can't see a new network adapter(Windows 7 x64). I only see a Realtek-Adapter which is my network chip and a VMWare card which belongs to VMWare.

If I first connect it to USB I can't type the commands because then I can't interact with my K3(even if I eject the Kindle with the button in systray). It always says "If you want to read or shop on your Kindle while continuing to charge over USB, please keep the USB cable attached, but eject your Kindle from your computer." I've got an Europen Kindle with the firmware version 3.0.1 if that matters(should I maybe update to 3.0.2?).
Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #105
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
If nothing happens then you've not installed the USB network hack properly. Look at the thread titled "Fonts & ScreenSavers hacks for Kindle 2.5". You didn't read this thread if you didn't know that you had to do this :P

Last edited by Tiersten; 10-12-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote