Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #76
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Because we don't have Amazon's private signing key? And, obviously, a vanilla Kindle doesn't have the public key needed to decrypt our usual custom packages.

That's the whole point of the jailbreak, sneaking in our custom public key.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #77
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Because we don't have Amazon's private signing key? And, obviously, a vanilla Kindle doesn't have the public key needed to decrypt our usual custom packages.

That's the whole point of the jailbreak, sneaking in our custom public key.
As far as I have read and experimented the bin files are just shifted and then xor 'encrypted'.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #78
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
As far as I have read and experimented the bin files are just shifted and then xor 'encrypted'.
The signatures are for each of the files inside the bin.

Update_kindle_3.0.2_B00A.bin contains:

111111111-k3.ffs
111111111-k3.ffs.sig
Update_515460094-529960105.bin
Update_515460094-529960105.bin.sig
update-Update_515460094-529960105.dat
update-Update_515460094-529960105.dat.sig
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #79
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@joblack: The update file itself, yes. But each individual file in the tarball is signed (since fw 2.something).
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #80
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
Just a side note, if you copy the /test/ebook folder to /test on your kindle you get the ~exec command working as ecostin thought, Not particularily useful output but might come in handy for feeback from simple scripts.
Haven't had this much fun since I used to hack around with linux satellite boxes
G

Last edited by Ged_uk; 09-19-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 PM   #81
mubertmumphrey
mubertmumphrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
To get ~exec working, it seems you also need to copy over the missing files from /test/bin.

Many thanks to to ecostin and NiLuJe for figuring this all out.
mubertmumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #82
mubertmumphrey

If anyone is interested in testing the Kindle 3 microphone, there's an echo test included in ecostin's /test/bin directory:

ssh into your kindle, and run the command "sh /test/bin/mecho"
Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #83
s0litaire
s0litaire began at the beginning.

I might be missing something but..
I'm able to telnet into my kindle using usbNetwork
But can't log in using ssh it keeps asking for a password.

Personally I'm more comfortable using ssh than telnet just wondering it I've done something wrong or if there's no password!
s0litaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #84
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@s0litaire: Type anything (or even nothing) & enter, the password check itself is bypassed, but we still have the password prompt displayed .
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #85
mubertmumphrey

ecostin, do you have /usr/sbin/ufbvncd on your kindle? If so, it'd be really nice to experiment with it to see if we can get the VNC server working.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #86
s0litaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@s0litaire: Type anything (or even nothing) & enter, the password check itself is bypassed, but we still have the password prompt displayed .

Linux user here!
Helps if I run it as root
Code:
 sudo ssh 192.168.2.2
ok working now! lol
Old 09-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #87
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, you'll probably need proper permissions on your usb device to use it as a normal user .
Old 09-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #88
s0litaire

All i need to do is get that darn "bootchart" to run.
lol!

I'd like to see what it does during boot..
Old 09-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #89
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Random rant: Damn crappy autotools handling. x-compiling fontconfig was a PITA >_<". Great idea to have to build some binaries for $BUILD on top of the expected $HOST ones while in x-compile mode without making sure they're using a different set of $CFLAGS -_-". Because strangely enough, an x86 gcc doesn't handle -march=armv6j... Hmpf.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-20-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #90
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3, KT, KPW, KPW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mubertmumphrey View Post
ecostin, do you have /usr/sbin/ufbvncd on your kindle? If so, it'd be really nice to experiment with it to see if we can get the VNC server working.
Here you are. Also, the original USB network driver / daemon can be found in the "test" archive I've posted earlier in this thread.
Attached Files
File Type: gz ufbvncd.gz (76.7 KB, 495 views)
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote