Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Device: none
Question about number of registrations

Hi,

I read that it was possible to register up to 6 devices at the same time, is that correct? How does that work, is it the total number of Kindle devices and Kindle for PC/Mac/Phone softwares? If yes, when I deregister a device, does it "free" one of the six slots? Or is each registration a one-off?

I am asking this because I wanted to install Kindle software on a temporary machine for experimenting, but did not want to "use" a slot if it is definitive.

Thanks for your answers.

Last edited by zeb; 10-29-2010 at 05:18 AM.
zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
robertlz
robertlz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
why not using a temporary amazon account?
robertlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Zeb,

The key phrase is "at the same time". You can add and remove devices as much as you like, provided - at any one time - you stay within the limit.

For this purpose, each copy of the PC / Mac software counts towards the limit, as does each Kindle app installed on a mobile device.

If you are likely to exceed the limit, you can get round it by setting up multiple accounts, but then you wouldn't be able to share or sync content across all your devices.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
zeb
Connoisseur
zeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with otherszeb plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlz View Post
why not using a temporary amazon account?
Yes you are right. However, if I buy a book to try, I would like to keep it in my account.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
zeb
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
The key phrase is "at the same time". You can add and remove devices as much as you like, provided - at any one time - you stay within the limit.
Many thanks. So you can register/deregister as many times as you want? Therefore I could easily deregister the software from the old PC when I do not need it anymore.
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
I didn't think it mattered how many devices you had. I thought the limits were on how many devices a specific book or publication might be on.

i.e. A user could have 10 devices, but if a book is limited to 6 devices, it can only be on 6 of those.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I have more than 6 devices registered to my account and even more apps on different platforms. Never had a problem with registering device. However I did get a message that certain book is already present on a large number of devices and it should be removed from another device before I can read it on the device I was using at the moment.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
jasicajames1
jasicajames1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
i have registered my kindle on my name and some other devices, even i don,t have any problem any time
jasicajames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:18 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emalvick View Post
I didn't think it mattered how many devices you had. I thought the limits were on how many devices a specific book or publication might be on.

i.e. A user could have 10 devices, but if a book is limited to 6 devices, it can only be on 6 of those.
That's absolutely right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm wondering if anyone has this scenario.

I have 12 Kindles/devices on one account and I want all of them to contain a book.

So I buy the book, and this book can be read on 6 devices simultaneously. What if I want all 12 Kindles/devices to have access to this book? Can I 'buy the book again', thus giving me 12 'licenses'?
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
So I buy the book, and this book can be read on 6 devices simultaneously. What if I want all 12 Kindles/devices to have access to this book? Can I 'buy the book again', thus giving me 12 'licenses'?
Good question. If you don't get a definitive answer, why not try it and see. I'm sure others would like to know.

(But test with a cheapie book to be on the safe side.)
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There is no limit on the number of devices (Kindles or apps) that can be registered to one account. The limit applies to the number of devices a book license allows. Usually the max is 6 be it can be fewer.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has this scenario.

I have 12 Kindles/devices on one account and I want all of them to contain a book.

I don't think you can do this. I was reading about a non-profit that did a trial run of bringing kindles to a classroom in Africa. They had 3 accounts, with 6 kindles on each, because they couldn't buy 3 copies of a book (for use on 18 devices) on one account.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:59 AM   #14
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontcathy View Post
I don't think you can do this. I was reading about a non-profit that did a trial run of bringing kindles to a classroom in Africa. They had 3 accounts, with 6 kindles on each, because they couldn't buy 3 copies of a book (for use on 18 devices) on one account.
True, that's what the Wordreader folks did. I remembered someone in this forum mentioning some success in buying the same books multiple times to give to more than more than 6 Kindles on one account but I just cannot find the thread!
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
zxcvbnm
zxcvbnm began at the beginning.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have read it and am still not sure of the answer.

Can you free up your six licenses once allocated? If I have shared a book with the maximum six devices can I remove the book from one device and then put it on a different one? Or are you stuck with your first six choices of licence unless amazon customer support manually resets things. Thanks

Oh and if I deregister a device from my amazon account do I get the device license back/freed up?

Last edited by zxcvbnm; 11-30-2010 at 12:06 PM.
zxcvbnm is offline   Reply With Quote