Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Molson1020
Molson1020 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Can you bookmark PDFs?

I am thinking of buying my first eReader, and the Nook looks like it will be the one.

I do have a quick question, I have some books in PDF format, can these be bookmarked? Also, can you change font sizes on PDFs (or can they be converted to epub)?

Thanks!
Molson1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I do not know if PDF can be bookmarked.

I do not think you can change the font size.

The program Calibre can convert most PDFs to epub, but the results will be messy (commonly there will be page numbers in the PDF footer jammed into the epub text)
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molson1020 View Post
I do have a quick question, I have some books in PDF format, can these be bookmarked? Also, can you change font sizes on PDFs (or can they be converted to epub)?
I don't know about pure image PDFs, but text PDFs can be bookmarked by the Nook; ditto on font sizes (though the results are less than pretty; but they're workable).

Last edited by flyash; 07-01-2010 at 02:58 PM.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
elsuave
elsuave began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'd recommend you put your files on a microsd and take it to a Barnes & Noble to see how they perform. Text-based PDFs will "reflow" in the Nook when you change the font size, but the results usually leave something to be desired. You cannot zoom in on a PDF.

As for converting to ePub, you can easily do it with a free program called Calibre. You might want to test out how well the conversion works for your books before you buy your Nook (if you plan on side loading stuff on the Nook, you'll probably want to get familiar with Calibre anyway). If you have Acrobat, my best results have come from exporting a book to HTML with Acrobat and then converting the HTML to ePub via Calibre. Page numbers at the bottom and authors' names at the top of pages can get in the way, so cropping the PDF is often desirable.
elsuave is offline   Reply With Quote