Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #46
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
It would be nice if you could link Kindle users into a family group the way you do with Prime rather than having it all tied to one account.
Definitely. My girlfriend uses my Kindle account for the Kindle for PC program, but she has to order from my Kindle or I'll log in for her etc.

It would be much better if you could link accounts like with prime, but publishers want books tied to one account for the time being unfortunately.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #47
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Publishers have always lost sales as people borrow books, check them out from the library etc. I don't see them losing a lot of sleep over loaning of e-books. They don't like it--just like they don't like loaning and used books sales for paper books etc., but not much they can do about it since it's near impossible to detect with e-books, and people have full rights to loan, sell, donate etc. their physical content whether they like it or not.
Many would argue that DRM is a direct attempt by Publishers to kill fair use and first sale (loaning and used book sales). IMO, they lose a lot more sleep over it than you think.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #48
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Many would argue that DRM is a direct attempt by Publishers to kill fair use and first sale (loaning and used book sales). IMO, they lose a lot more sleep over it than you think.
True. But as things go forward I think we'll see that ease up like it did for music, and they'll realize it's better to focus on the outright pirates.

Especially if legal codes change and governments get serious about detecting and punishing illegal file sharers on the darknets etc.

But for now they see moving to downloads and DRM as a way to attack the used market they hate, but I don't think that will work either.

If you want people to buy new instead of used, find ways to give them incentives--though admittedly that can be hard to do. An example from the video game world is Mass Effect 2. New copies come with a code to activate the "Cerberus Network" and they've been giving out free content for the game through there--an extra playable character, a couple missions, some armor and weapons, a bigger expansion pack of missions next month etc.

If you buy used, you have to pay $15 to get access the network. I think that's a clever and fair way to encourage people to buy your product new, and I had no problem buying the game new, even though I get most of my games used off of trading sites like Goozex. It's a great game, and they made it worth my while to buy it new rather than waiting for a cheaper used copy.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 PM   #49
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True. But as things go forward I think we'll see that ease up like it did for music, and they'll realize it's better to focus on the outright pirates.
Yeah, that's working out so well for the RIAA.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #50
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yeah, that's working out so well for the RIAA.
It's not going to work out until the laws change to deal with it as minor crimes that get appropriate penalties, and there's an agency to police the net for illegal downloads etc.

It will remain a disaster if the publishing industries have to police it themselves and their only recourse is silly lawsuits with fines that are absurdly disproportionate to the crime.

Make it a misdemeanor, make the penalty something like the value +25% as a fine, and be done with it. Make it something like traffic tickets, pay the fine, you have no criminal record etc. With the publishers having nothing to do with policing the net, pressing charges etc., just like they don't go after shoplifters for physical content theft.
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbrayman View Post
Last week I purchased Michael Crichton's newest book, Pirate Latitudes. Excellent book by the way. I read the book. I removed the book from my reader. Then I stripped the DRM and emailed the book to my mother. I am now a criminal. I didn't post the book onto the darknet. There is only one copy floating around, it is currently in my mothers possession. Unlike a physical copy it will probably end there as not enough of our friends and family have ebook readers (I'm working on that). As the title say's "Funny, I don't feel like a criminal".
If you deleted it from your reader/computer/possession. I don't feel you are a criminal at all.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #52
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Hush up, y'all.

Maybe this is one of those threads that needs to die a quick death. Remember where you are and who may be watching.

What??? The Giraffes?

Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #53
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylbrayman View Post
Last week I purchased Michael Crichton's newest book, Pirate Latitudes. Excellent book by the way. I read the book. I removed the book from my reader. Then I stripped the DRM and emailed the book to my mother. I am now a criminal. I didn't post the book onto the darknet. There is only one copy floating around, it is currently in my mothers possession. Unlike a physical copy it will probably end there as not enough of our friends and family have ebook readers (I'm working on that). As the title say's "Funny, I don't feel like a criminal".
I'm sure something similar has been said but I'm too lazy to read all of the messages in this thread. I purchased a Kindle2 for my wife for Christmas and a Nook for myself early this month. I have learned the process to remove DRM from both formats so that my wife and I can share ebooks. No one outside of my household will have access to the ebooks. Therefore I feel no guilt at all.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #54
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What??? The Giraffes?
What an excellent photo. Did you take it?

It reminds me of Yoda. mmmmmmm. Pirate you are. Yessssss.

clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #55
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkzombie View Post
What an excellent photo. Did you take it?

It reminds me of Yoda. mmmmmmm. Pirate you are. Yessssss.

AH, but I didn't "take it" from the owner, I just "linked" to it.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #56
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
But without credit? Shameful! :P

And a theft of bandwidth by linking directly. :P
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #57
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post

Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #58
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post

Old 02-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #59
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
It's not going to work out until the laws change to deal with it as minor crimes that get appropriate penalties, and there's an agency to police the net for illegal downloads etc.
In order for that to work (somebody else police it), you'd have to criminalize all copyright infringement. That's probably a really bad idea.

Quote:
Make it a misdemeanor, make the penalty something like the value +25% as a fine, and be done with it.
The value of what? You're talking about uploading, or downloading? It's debatable whether downloading (receiving content from somebody else who is infringing on the right to distribute) is even illegal, let alone the technical hurdles that make it fairly impossible to even monitor.

If you are proposing to explicitly criminalize downloading, that is going to have a MUCH bigger impact than I think you realize. It would effectively kill off the internet.

Last edited by Shaggy; 02-26-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #60
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I'm sure something similar has been said but I'm too lazy to read all of the messages in this thread. I purchased a Kindle2 for my wife for Christmas and a Nook for myself early this month. I have learned the process to remove DRM from both formats so that my wife and I can share ebooks. No one outside of my household will have access to the ebooks. Therefore I feel no guilt at all.
Nor should you feel any guilt. You're not doing anything that hasn't existed since physical books were invented.