Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Problem with 1st line on a page cut off?

On the book I'm currently reading, every few pages the first line of the page is cut off, essentially making the book unreadable.

The text is there -- if I change the font size down to the practically unreadable XS I can see the sentence. I then change it back to S so I can see the text without stress.

It is a book I bought as an DRM'd mobi, then de-DRM'd and used Calibre to convert to epub. I wound up going back to Calibre and converting the original mobi to lrf and the book now reads fine. However I was wondering if anyone would know why that happened and how I can avoid it in the future.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
That's interesting. I always convert to LRF.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
CSS placement in epub is a tricky game. If you have weird formatting in the output, ePub won't stop you from doing things like positioning text out of frame with malformed CSS.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That's interesting. I always convert to LRF.
I used to, but don't want to be stuck with all my books in what will eventually be an archaic format. I'm assuming there will come a time when new Sony readers don't support it anymore.

However, for this book, it turned out to be a lifesaver.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I used to, but don't want to be stuck with all my books in what will eventually be an archaic format. I'm assuming there will come a time when new Sony readers don't support it anymore.

-Marcy
You'll never be stuck with calibre. I keep my original mobi files. I use LRF because it allows headers and the font appears to be darker and bigger.

Last edited by SCION; 02-17-2010 at 12:35 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You'll never be stuck with calibre. I keep my original mobi files. I use LRF because it allows headers and the font appears to be darker and bigger.
I've gone to all Epub too but I do miss the headers. It is a very nice feature of lrf.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
On the book I'm currently reading, every few pages the first line of the page is cut off, essentially making the book unreadable.

The text is there -- if I change the font size down to the practically unreadable XS I can see the sentence. I then change it back to S so I can see the text without stress.

It is a book I bought as an DRM'd mobi, then de-DRM'd and used Calibre to convert to epub. I wound up going back to Calibre and converting the original mobi to lrf and the book now reads fine. However I was wondering if anyone would know why that happened and how I can avoid it in the future.

-Marcy
I've had this happen where a quarter of the page was off the screen. I used the debug setting in Calibre, pointed it to a directory then examined the html. In my case it was something block ... ~ I don't remember but I was able to junk most of the BS in the file via notepad++ and then I was fine.

You could try and convert the LRF to epub.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #8
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:

-Marcy
Same here. I love LRF and like ePub but I realize that I need to embrace ePub for the same reason!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote