Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
Yes Harry that's right, only DRM-free ePUBs with no geographic restrictions. That may not help us get rich but we built the site as a place for authors to self publish and sell direct to the public. We don't accept copyrighted work from anyone but the author.
Oh, I see. I hadn't appreciated that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
What about guaranteeing that the books on your website will be formatted properly, have been proofread and are are a pleasure to look at on a screen? Don't just leave it to the authors to do this job, a second pair of eyes always catches something the original writer may miss.

Perhaps, for a fee, you could offer editing facilities for prospective new authors? I've downloaded far too many $1.99 and $2.99 novels which look a mess and are almost unreadable.

I do realise Sturgeon's Law plays a large part in self-publishing!
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #18
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by camino real View Post
What about guaranteeing that the books on your website will be formatted properly, have been proofread and are are a pleasure to look at on a screen? Don't just leave it to the authors to do this job, a second pair of eyes always catches something the original writer may miss.

Perhaps, for a fee, you could offer editing facilities for prospective new authors? I've downloaded far too many $1.99 and $2.99 novels which look a mess and are almost unreadable.

Or if that is a little too hard, maybe a section where readers can notify authors of books that need their formating looked at?
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #19
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've always felt authors/publishers should include their contact information with the book itself; I do, and I always respond to e-mails about formatting issues. But it doesn't hurt if there is a similar contact point for ZuluExpress, to pass on that info (or to be informed when authors seem to be ignoring their customers' requests for formatting fixes).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Tks guys, I'm loving all this feedback. I have made a pretty radical change to the home page, check it out.

If it gets the nod I'll implement the look throughout the site
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's definitely an improvement!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #22
GyGeek
Connoisseur
GyGeek is on a distinguished road

Device: Samsung Q1 Ultra, Boox 60, Droid
Yeah, better.
GyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #23
ondabeach
Groupie

Quote:

Hi camino,

I know exactly what you mean. All of the public domain titles on the site have been edited. We have had emails from readers letting us know of formatting issues which we passed onto the author and saw the issue through to a happy resolution for all.

Obviously prevention is better that cure and we offer to help authors in any way we can to prepare their eBook for uploading. As a matter of course, we download new eBooks and make sure they open in ADE and if we notice anything glaring we inform the author.

So basically we are providing an editing service of sorts for free, though I definately see merit in a full editing service.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:58 AM   #24
ondabeach
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I've always felt authors/publishers should include their contact information with the book itself; I do, and I always respond to e-mails about formatting issues. But it doesn't hurt if there is a similar contact point for ZuluExpress, to pass on that info (or to be informed when authors seem to be ignoring their customers' requests for formatting fixes).
Top shelf stuff as always Steve, having your email and website details in your eBook is a no-brainer (you'd think). How about I add an "e-Mail the Author link" for each book in the library. The link would also appear in the member's "Downloaded eBooks" list.

I could also add a little blurb to the receipt page the customer sees after their payment has been received.

Something along the lines of "We constantly monitor the quality bla bla.... but if you find any errors bla bla..... please contact the author here joe@bla.com. If you do not recieve a reply then contact us here bla bla. And we will bla bla.

Last edited by ondabeach; 02-11-2010 at 04:19 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #25
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

bla bla bla... uh, I mean, yeah, that's the stuff.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:38 AM   #26
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Much improved!

Hope you'll get lots of authors wanting to list books with you.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:16 AM   #27
ondabeach
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Much improved!

Hope you'll get lots of authors wanting to list books with you.
Me too!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 AM   #28
ondabeach
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
bla bla bla... uh, I mean, yeah, that's the stuff.
Hey, they don't call me the Word Smith for nothing. Actually they don't call me that at all........
Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 AM   #29
ondabeach
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I want a site to remember who I am...
Your wish is my command. ZuluExpress now has auto Login using cookies
Old 02-11-2010, 04:33 AM   #30
ondabeach
Groupie

Quote:
What about guaranteeing that the books on your website will be formatted properly, have been proofread and are are a pleasure to look at on a screen?
We can't guarantee the quality of presentation, but we do proof read new uploads to the site. I will be adding an extra little button that will appear alongside each eBook in the library to be used to report any problems with formatting or anything else. Sort of a "Make a comment about this eBook" kind of thing.

There will be another button that let's members "Follow" an eBook (or an Author and all their eBooks). "Follows" are lists of events related to an eBook or Author, these events include (selectable) "Comments" (mentioned above), notification of a review being posted, a sale of said eBook, update/edit of said eBook etc. Member's "Follow Lists" will be accessible from the Member's Profile Page