Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
arunava77
arunava77 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad
problem opening pdf files from books.google.com

Hi,
I am a recent owner of the Irex iliad. I am having trouble opening pdf files downloaded from google books such as -
http://books.google.com/books?id=XaJ...cutta&as_brr=1
Iliad starts opening the file, but then suddenly gives up and gets back to the document menu
However I have no problems with other pdf files such as
http://www.fftw.org/fftw-paper-ieee.pdf

I'd appreciate your help in resolving this issue.

Regards

Arunava
arunava77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is probably due to (lack of) JPEG 2000 support, which is needed for color illustrations in Google Books. Adobe Digital Editions has the same problem.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
melaulur
Honorary Expert
melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Galaxy A7
I had the same problem and converted the pdf to png, then reassembled the png files in Adobe Acrobat. Didn't work. Would be most interested in a solution to this
melaulur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have not tried it, but VeryPDF's Advanced PDF Tools claim to be able to convert images. There are probably many other tools that do this, but VeryPDF have a helpful Compression and PDF page.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
melaulur
Honorary Expert
melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.melaulur is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

some sort of a solution

wallcraft,
thank you for linking me to VeryPDF. Ich downloaded the trial version, but didn't
succeed in doing anything meaningful. It probably takes some time to get used to it.
I guess your idea is to "uncompress" the Goggle PDFs or change the compression in such away that the file is readable on the iLiad?

I did get an, admittedly cumbersome, solution to the problem by simply printing
the google PDF with Arcrobat. It take a long time, about 1,5 minutes per page, but the result is readable on the iLiad.
----------------

arunava77,
I have uploaded a printed testfile "echoes.pdf" to "ftp.uni-koeln.de/institute/indologie". Its about 140 MB and displays fairly well
on my reader. See if you can do something with it.
Advert
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaulur View Post
I guess your idea is to "uncompress" the Goggle PDFs or change the compression in such away that the file is readable on the iLiad?
If the problem is JPEG2000 compression, then all you should need to do is change the compression options to something else (e.g. JPEG, rather than JPEG2000) under the Images tab.

Since JPEG2000 is PDF version 1.5, another option might be to convert the document to PDF version 1.4 with whatever tools you have (e.g. Acrobat).
Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Not sure if it helps, but on Linux, you can use pdf2ps to convert it to postscript, and then ps2pdf to convert it back to PDF. After doing that, it opens without a problem.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #8
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I think that pdftk will also convert a PDF to version 1.4. pdftk is apparently available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD and Solaris.

http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

To convert files, all you seem to need to do is:
Code:
pdftk mygoogle.pdf cat output converted.pdf
where mygoogle.pdf is the file from google, and converted.pdf is a name for the output file after conversion.
I live in the UK and can't seem to get access to the PDF pointed to by Arunava (as seems to be the case with a number of google books) so I can't test this particular file.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
melaulur
Honorary Expert

"pdftk mygoogle.pdf cat output converted.pdf"
didn't work, the converted PDF was not loaded and displayed on the iLiad.
Thanks anyway, daudi, I'll try some other pdftk settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
I think that pdftk will also convert a PDF to version 1.4. pdftk is apparently available for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD and Solaris.

http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/

To convert files, all you seem to need to do is:
Code:
pdftk mygoogle.pdf cat output converted.pdf
where mygoogle.pdf is the file from google, and converted.pdf is a name for the output file after conversion.
I live in the UK and can't seem to get access to the PDF pointed to by Arunava (as seems to be the case with a number of google books) so I can't test this particular file.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
arunava77
arunava77 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Illiad
Issue solved - thanks for all your suggestions. I tried out all of them and have had success with Melaulur's solution. However, I modified it slightly by installing PDF995 driver
Here is everything I tried -
0. Download pdf995 driver from http://www.pdf995.com/ and install it - its free. Now load up the pdf from google books on Adobe acrobat and print it using the pdf995 pdf printer. The big advantage is that the file size is almost half the original file size. Worked perfectly for me. Many thanks to all of you and esp. Melaulur

1. pdftk - does not really do any meaningful conversion - I think it is more for editing a pdf file
2. pdf2ps - ps2pdf seemed promising, but pdf2ps does not convert - it crashes with following error. Maybe there is a setting I am missing - I like this method because I can batch process all my pdf files with a simple script. If anyone knows what this error is please feel free to comment.
Error: /undefined in --filter--
Operand stack:
--dict:6/6(L)-- false false --dict:9/12(L)-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- JPXDecode
Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- 2 1 501 --nostringval-- %for_pos_int_continue --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 1 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- %array_continue --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push --nostringval-- %loop_continue --nostringval-- 34132 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- %array_continue 7 11 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1070/1417(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:73/200(L)-- --dict:73/200(L)-- --dict:97/127(ro)(G)-- --dict:229/230(ro)(G)-- --dict:19/24(L)-- --dict:4/6(L)-- --dict:22/31(L)-- --dict:1/1(ro)(G)-- --dict:7/15(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
arunava77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
skoobwoman
Enthusiast
skoobwoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle DX/Astak Reader Pocket Pro/iPod Touch
Problem opening PDF files

I just wanted to say thanks. I was having the same problem with PDF files from another source. Downloading PDF995 driver worked like a charm with the 3 files I used it on. I'll discover other problem files as I open things on the iliad. Glad to know I can fix it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunava77 View Post
Issue solved - thanks for all your suggestions. I tried out all of them and have had success with Melaulur's solution. However, I modified it slightly by installing PDF995 driver
Here is everything I tried -
0. Download pdf995 driver from http://www.pdf995.com/ and install it - its free. Now load up the pdf from google books on Adobe acrobat and print it using the pdf995 pdf printer. The big advantage is that the file size is almost half the original file size. Worked perfectly for me. Many thanks to all of you and esp. Melaulur

1. pdftk - does not really do any meaningful conversion - I think it is more for editing a pdf file
2. pdf2ps - ps2pdf seemed promising, but pdf2ps does not convert - it crashes with following error. Maybe there is a setting I am missing - I like this method because I can batch process all my pdf files with a simple script. If anyone knows what this error is please feel free to comment.
Error: /undefined in --filter--
Operand stack:
--dict:6/6(L)-- false false --dict:9/12(L)-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- JPXDecode
Execution stack:
%interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- 2 1 501 --nostringval-- %for_pos_int_continue --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 1 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- %array_continue --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push --nostringval-- %loop_continue --nostringval-- 34132 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- %array_continue 7 11 %oparray_pop --nostringval-- --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
--dict:1070/1417(ro)(G)-- --dict:0/20(G)-- --dict:73/200(L)-- --dict:73/200(L)-- --dict:97/127(ro)(G)-- --dict:229/230(ro)(G)-- --dict:19/24(L)-- --dict:4/6(L)-- --dict:22/31(L)-- --dict:1/1(ro)(G)-- --dict:7/15(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
skoobwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
ErikAlbany
ErikAlbany began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red face problem opening pdf files from books.google.com

hi,
I just wanted to say thanks. I was having the same problem with PDF files from another source. Downloading PDF995 driver worked like a charm with the 3 files I used it on. I'll discover other problem files as I open things on the iliad. Glad to know I can fix it now.

www.staffingpower.com

www.sentersoftech.com
ErikAlbany is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf