Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Reading Word doc on T1

So far I found several methods to place a Word doc onto T1:

1) Save As PDF, copy PDF to T1

2) Export HTML Filtered -> Calibre -> ePUB -> T1

3) BookCreator Tool v3.0 template -> ePUB -> T1

I just got my T1 and haven't used these methods a lot. My context is I am dealing with miscellany office documents, mostly specifications, in Word documents. They are generally from 10 to 100+ pages, some diagrams, tables, etc.

My question is what method you are using the most to read Word docs on your T1 or other Sony reader? Should I keep it simple and use (1) always? What are advantages of (2) and (3)?

Keep in mind these are transient docs I may read/use for a few weeks, then discard them. They are not books that I want to keep for a super long time.

In summary, what is your experience and habits when dealing with MS Office apps such as Word?

thanks
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
You also could install Office Suite and read/edit the docs in original format.
Your T1 needs to be rooted (which is easy).
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've gotten better results with Using Open Office to go from Word -> ODT, then Calibre ODT -> epub. Although, I haven't experimented with Word HTML export. That might be even better.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
You also could install Office Suite and read/edit the docs in original format.
Your T1 needs to be rooted (which is easy).
I was considering T1 as opposed to a general purpose Android table such as Fire, etc. Based on my current experience using an Android phone (Motorola Mileston) I am very much concerned about quality and stability of Android apps. I chose T1 especially to have smaller number of reliable apps and not have to worry about crashes, dead batteries, etc. So I would prefer to change format and use builtin T1 apps that I know work well.

Thanks for the suggestion
Old 12-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
bob_ninja
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I've gotten better results with Using Open Office to go from Word -> ODT, then Calibre ODT -> epub. Although, I haven't experimented with Word HTML export. That might be even better.
Yeah, that may be a good way to go since I don't have MS Office on home computer and use Open Office. I will try that as well.

thanks
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
If you don't need the formating of Word, just export as TXT. The Sony T1 reads TXT (not RTF)

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
bob_ninja
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
If you don't need the formating of Word, just export as TXT. The Sony T1 reads TXT (not RTF)

AJ
Well authors often insert tables, lists and diagrams, so plain TXT doesn't work.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
bob_ninja
Addict

Well seems I just found the answer to my own question. I found this plugin for OO Writer:

http://extensions.services.openoffic...ct/Writer2ePub

Now I can open MS Word doc in OO Writer, use toolbar to edit meta-data and simply save directly into ePUB.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I save as rtf then calibre it. That's on a 650. Does the T1 not support rtf? Yikes!
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I save as rtf then calibre it. That's on a 650. Does the T1 not support rtf? Yikes!
The T1 (without hacking) is epub, txt, pdf only.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I save as an rtf then convert to epub with Calibre.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #12
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The T1 (without hacking) is epub, txt, pdf only.
Hmmm. I had a brain-fart. The 650 is able to read rtf directly I think, but it doesn't matter. I always convert rtf to epub in Calibre. Admittedly rtf does not support all of doc many features.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Even on my older Sony PRS-505, which was able to read RTF, I ended up converting to epubs after a while. I found that the RTF format took up much more space than the epub files. Also think the epubs opened quicker. If you have a lot of room it may not matter, but the 505 didn't have a lot of room to spare.

But as far as procedure for conversion, I did the same as a lot of others: doc -> RTF -> epub (via calibre).

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote