Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
jigme
jigme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPhone/Pad, etc.
Titles, subtitles & alternative "display" titles

hi -

first - thanks for the forum. i'm creating my first ebook for the charity i work for and have found this forum invaluable. i'm mainly coding by hand, as i have some html experience.

my question is this: the title of the work i'm converting is quite long, with its subtitle. the charity feels that the subtitle is quite important. the book is being split into 3 digital volumes (with new ISBNs, etc.), each with its own variant of the title: "Main Title: Fairly long subtitle - Volume name, Volume 1 of 3".

most software truncates this way before there's any differentiating character - so all three volumes show up as "Main Title: Fairly long..."

one suggestion is to split the title and subtitle, but i can't see how to do this. in the opf there is only, afaik, the <dc:title> field - no field for subtitle... is there?

even then, the 3 volumes' titles will need to be distinguishable. one suggestion is to use a "display" title, eg. "Main Title 1: Volume name".

is this possible in the ePub format? or if i use this, modified "display" title as the <dc:title>, then it won't be the same title as that registered to the ISBN – does that matter?

any help at all will be greatly appreciated!
alex
jigme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have also encountered this problem recently.

I see from the fact that there are no replies to this post that no one has a suggestion?
Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I don't believe the ISBN number and the Title need to be in sync. The wiki at Metadata#ePUB_metadata shows what you can add to the metadata in an ePub but be aware that some readers will ignore most of the data.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display, subtitle, title