Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #76
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Simply and excellently put.

(The reverse doesn't necessarily hold, in my experience ! )
Thank you (curtseys)
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #77
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
*sigh*
Someday, somehow, we will have a mobile read thread that doesn't go off the rails over the pros/cons of piracy[/I]
"Theres a place for us...." ?

However - the fact that the subject pops up so very often what would seem to be unrelated threads, is usually, it seems to me, because someone moans about why it's illegal, and quite often says they do it. Then the ball rolls.

And surely it is such a basic problem, that it is bound to crop up. Which I don't consider represents "going off the rails" .

(Actually, I reckon the subject of piracy/theft could be worked into just about any topic !)
(NOT a challenge, by the way!)
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #78
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
BTW, they are childrens books in my eyes and I will never understand why a grown up wants to read it. I read the first book and while I could see the fantasy and imagination that went into this book, all I felt was a little sadness for not having had the opportunity to have read them as a child. But they are unreadable/ I can't stand to read them now in at my age.
My single most favourite books are part of series by a famous Dutch writer. A children's book writer at that. As a matter of fact, I still read all her books and still think they're great.
On the other hand, I just can't understand why people like to read horror stories. Or drama. Or those harlequin books. And I will never understand why anyone would want to read those. Does that make those books bad? And if it does, what does that make those readers who like to read those genres or series?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #79
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Perhaps in the next book in the series Rony and Hermione have had 5 kids and Hermione has left him for their old, drunken friend Harry? That's real drama, and fantasy readers can't stand it...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
That's real drama, and fantasy readers can't stand it...
This fantasy reader certainly can. The darker, seedier and more amoral it is... the better. I would read the version of HP you described in a heartbeat.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #81
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Maybe JKR is waiting for really enhanced ebooks, where you can have the moving paintings and moving photos in newspapers.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #82
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Maybe JKR is waiting for really enhanced ebooks, where you can have the moving paintings and moving photos in newspapers.
Ah, see, now that I would believe.

B&N's NC supports that, but they items are technically "apps", not "books" and can't be easily transferred to another device. (See the cooking "app" with the video that got pushed in the last update.)

Don't the Kindle books have a "with animated video included" option for some of their books? I saw a TextVook that claimed that awhile back...
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #83
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Don't the Kindle books have a "with animated video included" option for some of their books? I saw a TextVook that claimed that awhile back...
Yes, the Kindle format supports "enhanced eBooks" with multimedia content. They can only be viewed on the Kindle apps on iPad, Android, etc; not on a Kindle device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #84
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, the Kindle format supports "enhanced eBooks" with multimedia content. They can only be viewed on the Kindle apps on iPad, Android, etc; not on a Kindle device.
...which I found to be a very odd move on Amazon's part. The Kindle device has good audio support, you'd think that if they were determined to go that way, they'd have taken advantage of that.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suspect that it's more the video aspect of it that's the problem. But yes, I agree that in theory it should certainly have been possible to support the audio component of multimedia books on the Kindle!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #86
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that it's more the video aspect of it that's the problem. But yes, I agree that in theory it should certainly have been possible to support the audio component of multimedia books on the Kindle!
THAT would've been nice.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #87
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Well regardless of what format they are published in,

And whether legal or not,

JK Rowling brought in MILLIONS of new readers, who will read books possibly for the rest of thier lives,

We hear so much critiscism of JKR but if for nothing else, she surely deserves praise for encouraging so many children (and adults!) to read,

It has surely been a very very long time since an author quite made such an inpact on the world of reading, and in time she WILL be known as a literary great in the loosest sense of the word,

If she never releases her books as eBooks, I think it a mistake, but it is still her absolute right to make that choice, and I respect that choice, certainly I don't believe I have any right to say that I can legally pirate a copy just because she doesn't fit into my ideals!

JKR for Prime Minister ... or will our American cousins make her their next President!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #88
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...which I found to be a very odd move on Amazon's part. The Kindle device has good audio support, you'd think that if they were determined to go that way, they'd have taken advantage of that.
The slow refresh rate of the eInk screen won't support magic pictures.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #89
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
LOL Kevin. She can't be President - you have to be born in the U.S. for that to happen here.

I personally think that yes, JKR opened up new reading vistas to thousands of kids and a lot of adults, too. I read them all and liked them all. But in my opinion (for what it's worth, which isn't much) she's STOOPID (yes, caps and misspelling intentional) to block her work from official ebook release.

But then again I think ANY author who blocks their work from official ebook release is dumb and shooting themselves in the foot, not to mention alienating present or possible future fans.

I'm not disputing that it's her (or any other author's) decision, I'm just saying it's a silly decision.

Last edited by phenomshel; 06-21-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: to add
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #90
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
I know but maybe Harry Potter can wave his wand and MAKE her American born

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
LOL Kevin. She can't be President - you have to be born in the U.S. for that to happen here.
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote